Schell and Miller Chop Down Competition
Florida Junior Tour (16-18)
- Southwood GC - February 18 - 19, 2017
- Boys Yardages and Rating - 6,927 yds. 73.4/128
- Girls Yardages and Rating - 5,587 yds. 73.5/125
- Saturday - Cooler temperatures with rain in the morning giving way to sun and temperatures in the 60s in the afternoon.
- Sunday - Beautiful weather with plenty of sunshine throughout the entire morning early afternoon.
Brett Schell took control of the tournament in the opening round and did not look back. His 2 under-par round of 70 on Saturday was enough to give him a one stroke lead over both Will Delgado and Cody Carroll. The story did not change much on Sunday, however Brett did have a slightly slower start to his final round. After bogeys on 3 of his first 5 holes, Brett got back into form on the par-4, 7th hole, making his first birdie of the day. His birdie on the par-5, 16th hole, turned out to be the one he needed to claim a one stroke victory over his fellow-competitor Will Delgado. Cody Carroll and Max Coutsolioutsos rounded out the top 3 for the weekend with tournament totals of 1 over-par, 145. Brett continues to dominate the panhandle region of Florida as he won at Rocky Bayou Country Club in Niceville this past October.
Lauren Miller started the competition on absolute fire Saturday. Lauren carded a tournament low 6 under-par, 66, in an opening round that included 7 birdies and only 1 bogey. Her stellar round set her 6 strokes ahead of the nearest competitor heading into Sunday's final round leaving the rest of the field with a lot of work to do to get back into contention. Jenny Kim, Megan Schofill, and Stanford commit Kelsey Zeng all did everything they could in the final round to close the huge gap Lauren had after day 1. All three players posted under-par scores Sunday, but were just too far behind to chase down Lauren. Although the birdie putts did not fall as they did the day prior, Lauren cruised to a 5 stroke victory and a closing round of even par, 72. Similar to Brett, Lauren has also dominated the Northwest region of Florida in the recent months winning at Rocky Bayou Country Club back in October.
- 3 eagles over the course of the weekend
- Lauren Miller - Lauren carded a tournament low 6 under-par, 66 on Saturday. This tied her personal best round in competitive play.
- Jackson Suber - Jackson posted a 6 over-par round of 78 on Saturday and followed it up with a 2 under-par 70 on Sunday. His round of 70 was the only round under-par on the final day.
- February 25 - 26 - Stone Creek Golf Club, Ocala
- March 4 - 5 - LPGA International Golf Club, Daytona Beach
- March 11 - 12 - Black Bear Golf Club, Eustis
- March 18 - 19 - Amelia National Golf Club, Amelia Island