First Win in 2017 for Chen & Wilkes
Florida Junior Tour
West Orange Country Club - February 18-19, 2017
Boys 13-15 – 6,427 yds., 71.4/128
Girls 13-15 - 5,736 yds., 74.0/129
Saturday – Scattered rain showers, breezy 73 degrees
Sunday – Early clouds followed by afternoon sun, 79 degrees
Two flawless rounds from Tyler Wilkes, of Tampa, gave him a wire-to-wire victory! Tyler’s third Florida Junior Tour win resulted from rounds of 68-67 for a six under-par total of 135. Tyler carded one birdie on the front-nine and three birdies on the back-nine in his final round to seize his seven stroke lead over Tianyu Wu who finished in second place. Wu, of Howey-in-the-Hills, followed his first round 69 with a 73 to claim second place with a 142, even par, total. Oviedo resident, Aidan Kramer, rounded out the top three with rounds of 69-74 for a one over-par total of 143.
Mimi (Xiaoyi) Chen, of Longwood, prevailed in a sudden death playoff with a one-putt birdie to achieve her fourth Florida Juinor Tour win! Mimi led after round by one stroke with a two under-par 69, but after a second round 78 she finished in a three-way tie for first. Chen tied with Chei Kim and Taylor Roberts at a 147 total. Kim, of Orlando, posted a first round one under-par 70 followed by a day two 77. Roberts had the lowest second round of the three with a 76 after an even par round one. Hole number one was the first and only play-off hole. All three girls hit solid tee shots down the right side of the fairway. Mimi hit first placing her second shot a pitch shot away from the green. Taylor, of Parkland, struck her second shot into the water hazard left and escaped the hole with a one-putt par. Chei pitched her third shot short of the green followed by a chip and putt for a par, five. Mimi placed her third shot ten feet away from the hole and dropped the putt in for a birdie victory.
- Three eagles were made on the par five 13th hole adding to the five total eagles recorded for the tournament
- Tyler Wilkes was the only player under-par after both rounds at seven under-par 135. He posted the tournament low on Sunday with a 67 (-4).
- Mimi Chen posted the low round in the girls' division with a round one 69 (-2).
- March 4 - 5 - Juliette Falls, Dunnellon (Boys 13-15)
- March 4 - 5 - LPGA International GC, Daytona Beach (Girls 13-15)
- April 1 - 2 - Eagle Lakes GC, Naples