Arnold Palmer Cup Team Selection
The Arnold Palmer Cup
The Arnold Palmer Cup was started in 1997 by Mr. Palmer and is a Ryder Cup style format. Teams of ten college golfers represent each Team USA and Team Europe in Four-Ball, Foursomes and Singles Matches played over two days. Team USA has six selections through the Palmer Cup Rankings, and four committee selections. One selection must be from a non-Division I program. The 2017 matches will be held June 9-11 at Atlanta Athletic Club, in Atlanta, Georgia. Team USA leads the series 10-9-1 through the first 20 years of competition. Recently the event has also announced in 2018, it will expand the competition to include women's collegiate golfers in 2018.
Stanger grew up in Tampa and competed on the Florida Junior Tour in 26 events between 2008 and 2013, never winning but posting multiple top three finishes including two runner-ups. In his four appearances in the FSGA Florida Boys' Junior Championship, Stanger won in 2010, and finished 2nd in 2011. After a strong junior career, Jimmy headed to the University of Virginia. Now a Senior, as of the date of the Palmer Cup Team selections, Stanger is currently ranked 22 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking, is on the Ben Hogan Award Watch List, and is leading the #8 ranked Virginia Cavaliers with a 69.90 scoring average this season. He currently sits 5th in the Golfstat Men's Head-to-Head rankings individually. Stanger recently competed in the PGA Tour's Valspar Championship at Innisbrook Resort in Palm Harbor, earning a sponsors exemption after winning the 2016 Southern Amateur. Stanger earned his spot on Team USA as an automatic qualifier finishing 4th in the Arnold Palmer Cup Rankings.
John Coultas, of Valrico is a Junior at Florida Southern College, in Lakeland. Coultas could be considered a late bloomer, who finished his junior career strong. In 21 Florida Junior Tour starts between 2012-2014, Coultas posted inconsistent finished, however would shine in his final event, the 54 hole Memorial Day Weekend Major in 2014 at Innisbrook Resort, where he defeated a deep 84 player field for his first FJT win. Six weeks later, Coultas would prove that was not a fluke and capture the 2014 FSGA Florida Boys' Junior Championship at Belleair Country Club and head off to college full of confidence.
His Freshman year saw him win his second event, post four top 5's, earn PING/GCAA All-America First-Team honors, the Phil Mickelson Award for Division II as Most Outstanding Freshman, PING/GCAA All-Freshman Team, All-South Region Team, and Team MVP finishing the year with a 71.82 scoring average.
His Sophomore year would just get stronger. Coultas would post a 70.71 scoring average, earn the Jack Nicklaus Award for Division II National Player of the Year, and earned two wins and finished runner-up in his NCAA Regional, and t4 in stroke play at the NCAA Championship, and lead Florida Southern to the the semifinals of the match play Championship.
Through seven events in his Junior season, Coultas has posted a 71.29 scoring average with three wins, and finished t17 or better in six of the seven events. He is currently ranked 196 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking and earned the non-Division I golfer selection for Team USA.
Past Florida Junior Tour Members / FSGA Boys' Junior Champions to play in the Palmer Cup:
- 2016 - Sam Horsfield - Davenport/England - University of Florida *Team Europe
- 2015 - Lee McCoy - Palm Harbor - University of Georgia
- 2015 - Jack Maguire - Saint Petersburg - Florida State University
- 2014 - Jack Maguire - Saint Petersburg - Florida State University
- 2014 - Anthony Maccaglia - Tampa - Oglethorpe
- 2013 - Kevin Phelan - Saint Augustine/Ireland - University of North Florida *Team Europe
- 2013 - Sean Dale - Jacksonville - University of North Florida
- 2013 - Daniel Berger - Jupiter - Florida State University
- 2012 - Blayne Barber - Lake City - Auburn University
- 2011 - Blayne Barber - Lake City - Auburn University
- 2010 - Tyson Alexander - Gainesville - University of Florida
- 2009 - Bud Cauley - Jacksonville - University of Alabama
- 2008 - Billy Horschel - Grant - University of Florida
- 2007 - Billy Horschel - Grant - University of Florida
- 2005 - Matt Every - Daytona Beach - University of Florida
- 2004 - Matt Every - Daytona Beach - University of Florida
- 1999 - Matt Kuchar - Lake Mary - Georgia Tech
- 1998 - Matt Kuchar - Lake Mary - Georgia Tech