Star-Studded Field for the Women's Senior Am
Early this April, Senior Women from across the state will be converging at the Country Club of Ocala for the 27th playing of the Women's Senior Amateur Championship. The top super-senior amateur golfers will also be competing for the Super-Senior Amateur Championship come April 3rd. The Senior Amateur Championship is a coveted event, boasting past champions such as Mary Jane Hiestand, Diane Lang & Sarah Phillips-Durst. This year's field is stacked with past Champions and Players of the Year alike, which is sure to make for a very exciting event.
Some past credentials for those competing in this year's event include:
- Five past Senior Amateur Champions: Sarah Phillips-Durst (2017), Mary Jane Hiestand (2013, 2014, 2016), Lisa Schlesinger (2015), Diane Lang (2007, 2010, 2011), Taffy Brower (2008)
- Two past Super-Senior Amateur Champions: Patricia Gelardi (2016), Tinker Sanger (2014)
- Two past Women's Amateur Champions: Mary Jane Hiestand (2007), Taffy Brower (2000, 2002, 2003)
- Three past Women's Senior Amateur Match Play Champions: Diane Lang (2017), Mary Jane Hiestand (2014, 2016), Lisa Schlesinger (2015)
- One past U.S. Senior Women's Amateur Champion: Diane Lang (2005, 2006, 2008)
- Three past Women's Amateur Player of the Year: Mary Jane Hienstand (2007), Diane Lang (2005,2006), Taffy Brower (2004)
- Four past Women's Senior Player of the Year: Gigi Higgins (2016), Tama Caldabaugh (2015), Diane Lang (2008), Mary Jane Hiestand (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017)
The Country Club of Ocala is looking forward to hosting this year's Women's Senior Amateur Championship. The course, which forces golfers to navigate deceptively tight fairways and undulating greens, will play a top-notch host for our amateurs. The sloped fairways and changing elevations will give our players challenging sight lines on almost every hole, and the strategically placed fairway bunkers will make approach shots to the well-manicured greens much more challenging.
The Women's Senior Amateur Championship features 36-holes of individual stroke play format. Participants must be aged 50 or older to compete in the Championship division, and Women aged 65 and older are eligible to compete in the Super-Senior division. Spectators and media are invited to watch the state's best senior amateur golfers compete at the Country Club of Ocala.