Phelan to Play in Walker Cup Matches
Kevin Phelan, of the Republic of Ireland, was recently selected to represent team Great Britain & Ireland at the Walker Cup Matches. The event will be held at the National Golf Links of America, in South Hampton, NY, on September 7-8.
Phelan recently wrapped up his successful collegiate career at the University of North Florida, where he helped lead his team to a second straight ASun Championship and an 18th place finish at the NCAA Championships. Phelan's other amateur accomplishments include:
- 2009 FSGA Junior Player-of-the-Year
- Two time qualifier for the United States Open Championship
- Finished tied for 62nd at the 2013 U.S. Open held at Merion Golf Club (One of three amateurs to make cut)
- Represented Team Europe at the Palmer Cup
- Past Florida Junior Champion
The Walker Cup Match is a biennial 10-man amateur team competition between the USA and a team composed of players from Great Britain and Ireland. It is played over two days with 18 singles matches and eight foursomes (alternate-shot) matches. The USA leads the overall series, 34-8-1, and has not lost on American soil since the 2001 Match at Ocean Forest Golf Club in Sea Island, Ga. The GB&I looks to defend the trophy it won in dramatic fashion at Royal Aberdeen Golf Club in Scotland two years ago.