97th Amateur Championship Field Set
The top 168 amateur golfers in the state will compete this week, June 19-22, with hopes of winning the 97th Florida State Amateur Championship at Quail Valley Golf Club and Hawk’s Nest Golf Club in Vero Beach.
Before reaching the Championship, more than 740 participants attempted to qualify at one of 14 sites across the state. In the Championship, participants will play 18 holes each at Quail Valley Golf Club and Hawk’s Nest Golf Club on June 19-20. After 36-holes, the field will be cut to the low 70 and ties. The final 36-holes of the Championship will be played at Quail Valley Golf Club on June 21-22.
Past FSGA Individual Champions competing in the 97th Amateur Championship include:
- 2 Past Amateur Champions - Ryan Abbate (2005) and Robbie Davis (1990)
- 3 Past Amateur Match Play Champions - Joe Alfieri, Don Bell, and Kevin Jorden
- 1 Past Florida Open Champion - Joe Alfieri
- 4 Past Mid-Amateur Champions - Joe Alfieri, Stephen Anderson (2 time), Jon Veneziano (2 time) and Rick Woulfe
- 2 Past Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Champions - Joe Alfieri and Don Bell (3 time)
- 4 Past Amateur Public Links Champions - Nick Brothers, Paul Melson, TJ Shuart (2 Time) and Jon Veneziano
- 4 Past Mid-Senior Champions - Don Bell, Paul Melson (2 time), Peter Wegmann and Rick Woulfe
- 3 Boys’ Junior 16-18 Champions - Jacob Kline, Hunter O'Mahony and Peter Wegmann (1974)
- 5 Past Amateur Players of the Year - Joe Alfieri, Stephen Anderson (2 Time), Jeff Golden, Jon Veneziano and Rick Woulfe (3 time)
- 2 Past FHSAA Champions - Kerry Sweeney (Boys Class 1A) and Danny Walker (Boys Class 1A)
- 2 Past Senior Amateur Champions - Pete Williams and Rick Woulfe
- 1 Past Florida Senior Open Champion - Pete Williams (First Amateur to win in 37 years)
- 2 Past Senior Match Play Champions - Pete Williams and Rick Woulfe
- 1 Past Senior Player of the Year - Rick Woulfe (7 time)
Fun Championship Facts:
- 45 current Florida Junior Tour Members
- 3 sets of Father & Sons - KC & Mason Fox, Mike & Mike Riley, & Peter & Jake Sherwin
- 2 sets of brothers - Joseph & Lucas Trim and John & Peter Wegmann
- Three Oldest Players in the field - Rick Woulfe (64), Peter Sherwin (60) and Larry Smith (59)
- Three Youngest Players In the field - Bebe Bouahom (17), Charlie Dubiel (15) and Sachin Kumar (15)
- 84 Players 20 years or younger
- 115 Players 25 years and younger
- 17 Players 50 years old or older
- 1 Past FSGA President
In all, 25 players earned exempt status through a variety of different means. Started in 1914, the Florida Amateur Championship is the oldest continuous sporting event in the state as well as the largest amateur event in Florida. Past Amateur champions include Bob Murphy, Jerry Pate, and PGA Tour players David Peoples, Chris Couch, and Barry Cheesman.
Spectators and media are welcome to watch the state’s best amateur golfers compete at Quail Valley Golf Club and Hawk’s Nest Golf Club.