25th Amateur Match Play Field Set
The top 64 amateur golfers in the state will compete this week, August 4-7, with hopes of winning the 25th Florida Amateur Match Play Championship at the Ritz-Carlton Member's Golf Club in Bradenton.
Before reaching the Championship, more than 330 participants attempted to qualify at one of six sites across the state. The Championship consists of 18 holes of individual stroke play on Thursday to determine seeds in the round of 64 (all ties for seeds will be broken randomly). Match play begins on Friday morning with the round of 64 and then the round of 32 will be played Friday afternoon. The round of 16 tees off Saturday morning followed by the quarter-finals that afternoon. Sunday, the semi-finals are in the morning and the finals in the afternoon.
- 332 - Total entries received
- 12 - Players exempt from qualifying
- 25 - Average age of the players in the championship
- 17 - Age of the youngest player, Sam Rogers
- 52 - Age of the most experienced player, Paul Royak
- Past Champions Competing - TJ Shuart 2015, Philip Knowles 2014, Kevin Jorden 2013, Joe Alfieri 2001
Other Notable players in the field include: Jacob Huizinga - 2016 Amateur Champion, Chris Carlin - 2016 Four-Ball Champion, Jon Veneziano - 2016 Parent-Child Champion / Mid-Am Four-Ball Champion & Sr/Mid-Am Four-Ball Champion and Stephen Anderson 2016 - Mid-Am Four-Ball Champion.
Spectators and media are welcome to watch the state’s best amateur golfers compete at the Ritz-Carlton Members Golf Club.