53rd Senior Amateur Field Set
The top 144 senior amateur golfers in the state will compete April 15-17, with hopes of winning the 53rd Florida State Senior Amateur Championship at Vero Beach Country Club in Vero Beach. Doug LaCrosse is trying to become the first person to successfully defend his title since Dick Goerlich in 1989.
Before reaching the Championship, over 300 participants attempted to qualify at one of seven sites across the state. In the Championship, participants will play 36 holes at Vero Beach Country Club on April 15-16. After 36 holes, there will be a cut to the low 60 players and ties. The final 18 holes of the Championship will be played on Thursday, April 17th.
Past FSGA Individual Champions competing in the 2014 Senior Amateur Championship include:
- 7 Past Senior Amateur Champions – Ed Craig, Steve Earsley, AJ Kroeger, Doug LaCrosse, Bruce Scamehorn, Rick Woulfe, Bill Zylstra
- 5 Past Senior Players of the Year – Steve Earlsey, Doug LaCrosse, Bruce Scamehorn, Mike Walters, Rick Woulfe (7 time)
- 5 Past Senior Match Play Champions – Pete Andrews, Lee Booker, Doug LaCrosse, Howard Logan, Rick Woulfe
- 1 Past Florida Senior Open Champion – Pete Williams (First Amateur to win the event in 37 years)
- 1 Past Super Senior Champion – Ed Craig
- 2 Past Super Senior Match Play Champions – Ed Craig (2 time), Steve Earsley
- 1 Past Amateur Champion – Doug LaCrosse
- 5 Past Amateur Match Play Champions – Walter Himlesbaugh, Doug LaCrosse, Bruce Scamehorn, Steve Sim (2 time), David Roschman
- 5 Past Mid-Amateur Champions – David Anthony, Tom Case (2 time), Doug LaCrosse, Bruce Scamehorn, Rick Woulfe
- 1 Past Amateur Public Links Champion – Paul Melson
- 5 Past Mid-Senior Champions – Randy Elliott, Paul Melson (2 time), Bruce Scamehorn, Peter Wegmann, Rick Woulfe
- 1 Boys' Junior 16-18 – Peter Wegmann
- 2 Past Amateur Players of the Year – Doug LaCrosse (3 time), Rick Woulfe (3 time)
Fun Championship Facts:
- 10 Players Ranked in the Top 50 in the United States by Golfweek Rankings – Highest Ranked player is #7 Bill Zylstra
- 11 Players that competed in a 2013 USGA National Championship
- Three Oldest Players – Robert Layman 70, Ed Craig 71, and Jack Ruhs 71 years young
- 15 First timers
- 3 Past FSGA Presidents
In all, 60 players earned exempt status through a variety of different means. Participants must be 55 or older to participate in the Championship.
Spectators and media are invited to watch the state’s best senior amateur golfers compete at Vero Beach Country Club.