Viera East GC (16-18)
April 18-19, 2015
FJT Wire to Wire Wins at Viera East
The Florida Junior Tour made its way over to Rockledge, Florida this weekend to Viera East Golf Club. The thirty-six hole individual stroke-play event was conducted under windy and humid conditions, with challenging bunkers and hazard placements to test the juniors throughout the weekend. The Florida State Golf Association would like to thank Viera East Golf Club for once again hosting us, as they are always such a pleasure to work with.
In the Boys 16-18 Division, Robert Eisch of Tampa played exceptionally well in the first round by opening with a five-under-par 67, a four-shot lead over Zach Justice of Orlando, Matthew Ruel of Oldsmar, Calvin Sierota of Melbourne, and Logan Membrino of Ponte Vedra Beach who all recorded a one-under-par 71. In round two, strong afternoon winds at Viera brought on a difficult back nine, but that did not seem to phase Eisch who began his second round four under through five holes. With a bogey on the ninth, he turned at three under for the day. Jacob Huizinga of Orlando also seemed to manage his way through the difficult conditions by recording a five-under-par 67 on the day, 141 overall, putting him into contention with Eisch and the mix. However, Eisch managed to hold on heading into the clubhouse, earning him a wire-to-wire victory by recording two-over for his back nine, one-under on the day, and six-under-par for the tournament, giving Huizinga second place honors.When asked what his strategy was heading into round two, Eisch simply said to “take one shot at a time, play a solid round, and not get ahead of myself”. This was Eisch’s first 16-18 Division victory. William Wrigley of Winter Garden took home third place honors recording a two-under-par 142 for the event.
The Florida Junior Tour would also like to recognize and congratulate Matthew Ruel for his hole-in-one on the par-3, 190 yard No. 7, who finished at one-under-par 143 for the tournament.
In the Girls 16-18 Division, Lara van Staden of Winter Springs recorded an even par on her opening round to have a one-shot lead over Gabriela Coello of Venezuela, and a three shot lead over Terese Romeo of Tampa. When asked what her strategy would be going into the final round, Van Staden said that “focusing more on [her] drives and keeping [her] putting as consistent as round one is key". Coello also kept her focus going into round two, and recorded a one-under-par 35 on her opening nine. With a four-over-par 40 on van Staden’s opening nine, Coello had a three-shot lead when making the turn. The competition was close between Van Staden and Coello during the final round, but a low back nine for van Staden ultimately resulted in a two-shot lead over Coello, allowing for van Staden to earn her first FJT career victory, finishing the tournament at one-over-par. Romeo took third place honors recording a 75-76---151 overall.
The next Florida Junior Tour 16-18 Division event will be held at Old Corkscrew, May 2-3 in Estero, Florida. We look forward to seeing you there.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 16-18||6,669 yds., 72.2/132|
|Girls 16-18||5,986 yds., 74.6/130|
|Sunny & Windy||88 °F|
Entries Open: Wednesday, February 25th
Entry Deadline: Wednesday, March 11th
16-18 Age Division (age calculated on the last day of the tournament)
$95 or $115 entry fee (GHIN vs non-GHIN price)
Viera East Golf Club was designed and built by one of the games most revered designers, Joe Lee. The 18-hole, par 72 Melbourne golf course plays 6,669 yards from the Champion tees with a course rating of 72.2 and a slope rating of 132.
Click here to view the club's website.
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- 84 total players (typically 66 boys and 18 girls)
- 16-18 age division (age calculated by the last day of the tournament)
Divisions and Approximate Yardages
- Boys 16-18 Age Division - 6,900 yards (gross only)
- Girls 16-18 Age Division - 6,000 yards (gross only)
How Entries are Accepted
- Players with an unused FJT exemption will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis (if submitted before the entry deadline).
- Players without an FJT exemption - all other entries are held until the entry closing date. Shortly after the closing date, a computer-generated random draw is performed to determine which entries are accepted, and the order of the alternates. All players are notified of their status after the random draw is conducted,
- An alternates list will be posted to the FJT website under "Tee Times & Player Information".
- Entries submitted after the entry deadline will be added to the bottom of the alternates list or used to fill any openings in the field.
Click here for more details.
How to Enter
Entries must be submitted through the FSGA website. To enter, each player must have an account on this website (free to setup), and a current FJT Junior Membership ($40). Click "Enter" above in the Tournament Links box.
The entry fee of $95 (for GHIN handicap members) or $115 (non-GHIN handicap members) includes tournament rounds, range balls prior to tournament rounds, crystal trophies for the top three finishers, and a tee gift.
To receive the GHIN handicap price, the player, or one of the player's parents must have an active GHIN handicap at a club in Florida. The seven digit GHIN number must be included and active when the entry is submitted. Click on the Handicaps tab above in the main menu for more information.
Late Fee: A late fee of $10 will be applied to entries received after the entry deadline. The entry fee and late fee will only be charged if the player gets accepted into the tournament field.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, April 18th
10:30 AM - 1:30 PM - Tournament Registration (near pro shop)
12:00 PM - 1:57 PM - Round one tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Sunday, April 19th
8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Final round tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Approximately 3:00 PM - Awards presentation
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament on a space-available basis after 10:00 AM. Times times are only available after 12:00 noon the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call 321-639-6500 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course, not filling divots, and not repairing ball marks are unacceptable and may cause removal from the tournament without a refund.
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Winner receives 8 performance stars
- Top five finishers receive 4 performance stars
- Winner receives 8 performance stars
- Top three finishers receive 4 performance stars
- Ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard
- Walking - players must walk during tournament rounds
- Spectators & Carts - Spectators are allowed. Spectator carts are available first-come, first-served at $20 + tax per day, per cart Click here
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed
- Range Finders (Electronic Measuring Devices) - are allowed (see Local Rules link below)
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this tournament.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The
decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Hotel & Accommodations
A host hotel has not been arranged at this time.
Viera East Golf Club
2300 Clubhouse Dr.
Viera, FL 32955
Click for Map