87th Women's Amateur Field Set
Florida’s oldest and most prestigious Women’s Amateur Championship is set to begin this weekend at Bent Pine Golf Club, June 16 to June 19. In its 87th year, the Championship is played from approximately 6,000 yards and will host 104 of Florida’s top women amateur golfers. Notable past Champions include Cristie Kerr, Taffy Brower, and Meghan Stasi.
The format for the four day event begins with 36 holes of gross individual stroke play on Thursday and Friday. The field is then cut to the low 32 players who will compete in match play for the Championship. Round of 32 matches will begin on Friday afternoon, following the second round shotgun of stroke play that morning. Round of 16 matches begin Saturday morning with quarterfinal matches in the afternoon. Semifinal matches will commence Sunday morning, and the 18-hole Championship match will be played on Sunday afternoon.
Out of the 32 players that advanced to match play in 2015, 18 of them will be returning to this year’s Championship. Included in that list of 18 is last year’s runner-up Alyssa Lamoureux, who is looking to capture a 2016 victory. The field consists of a mixture of juniors, collegiate players, mid-amateurs, and seniors, with the youngest player at 11 years old, and the oldest at 65. Along with Lamoureux is the 2010 and 2012 Champion Meghan Stasi, who is coming off of a win at the Women’s Mid-Amateur earlier this year.
Live scoring for both rounds of stroke play qualifying, June 16-17, will be available by clicking here. Live scoring for the Semifinal matches, along with the final Championship match, will also be available.
Players to watch this week include:
- Tara Joy-Connelly, of Palm Beach Gardens, is the 2015 Women’s Player-of-the-Year, 2015 Women’s Mid-Amateur and Amateur Stroke Play Champion, and advanced to the Semifinals in last year’s Championship.
- Charlotte Daughan, of Orlando, is the 2014 Women’s Amateur runner-up, and winner of the 2015 and 2016 Women’s International Four-Ball Championship.
- Meghan Stasi, of Oakland Park, is a four-time U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur Champion, 2016 Women’s Mid-Amateur Champion, 5-time Player-of-the-Year, and 2010 and 2012 Women’s Amateur Champion.
- Alyssa Lamoureux, of Seminole, is the 2015 runner-up and a stand-out junior golfer on the Florida Junior Tour. Earlier this year, Lamoureux competed in the U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship with partner Alexa Pano, who is also in this year’s field.
- Tama Caldabaugh, of Ponte Vedra Beach, is a 2015 U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur Semifinalist, and last year’s Women’s Senior Player-of-the-Year.
- Samantha Marks, of Maitland, is a 2015 Women’s Amateur Quarterfinalist, and currently plays for the Arkansas Razorbacks. In 2015, Marks qualified for the LPGA Walmart NW Arkansas Championship.