TJ Shuart Ready to Defend Mid-Am Title
Seven past champions highlight the field at the Mid-Amateur Championship being held on October 6-9th. The 36th playing of the championship is being hosted by the iconic Black Diamond Ranch Quarry Course. Black Diamond previously hosted this championship in 2006, 2000, and 1988. The stunning Quarry course was designed by Tom Fazio and the 13th through 17th holes (17th pictured right) are carved in and around an old rock quarry and is consistently recognized as one of America's greatest courses.
Over 300 amateurs 25 years of age and older attempted to qualify for the championship and ultimately 84 are advancing the Black Diamond. The 2015 champion, TJ Shuart is joined by six other past champions: Thad Hudgens 2014, Jon Veneziano 2013 & 2005, Rick Woulfe 2012, Stephen Anderson 2011 & 2010, Garrett Morrison 2008, and Joe Alfieri 1999. All 84 players will play 36-holes of stroke play and then the field will be cut to the 32 scores. A playoff is usually necessary to determine the 32nd spot. On Friday afternoon the 32 players will be begin single elimination match play and a champion will be crowned Sunday afternoon.
- Average Age - 42 years old
- Youngest Players - Brett Riotto, 25 years and 1 month; William Lane, 25 years and 6 months; Ernesto Marin, 26 years and 1 day
- Oldest Players - Rick Woulfe, 66 years and 10 months; Chip Peterson, 64 years and 8 months
- Past Champions Competing - TJ Shuart 2015, Thad Hudgens 2014, Jon Veneziano 2013 & 2005, Rick Woulfe 2012, Stephen Anderson 2011 & 2010, Garrett Morrison 2008, and Joe Alfieri 1999 (all past champs)
- Additional Notable Players - Peter Wegmann (2016 Senior & Senior Match Play Champion), Michael Connors (2016 Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Champion), RJ Nakashian (2016 Mid-Senior, Mid-Senior Four-Ball, and Mid-Amateur Champion), Len Schonfeld (2016 Two-Man Shoot-Out Champion), Bill Castleman (2016 Innisbrook Amateur Champion), Brad Quiri (2004 FL Amateur Champion), Pete Williams (2012 Fl Senior Open Champion), Ernesto Marin (2008 Jr Match Play Champ), and Paul Tesori (former PGA Tour player & current PGA Tour caddie).
- Brothers - Peter Wegmann and John Wegmann
- Full Field, Tee Times and Results
2016 Finalists TJ Shuart and Brian Armstrong pictured left