68th Florida Open Field Set
The top 156 Amateur and Professional golfers in the state will compete this week, July 18-20, with hopes of winning The 68th Florida Open Championship at The Bonita Bay Club, in Naples.
Before reaching the Championship, over 950 participants attempted to qualify at one of 16 sites across the state. In all, 28 players earned exempt status through a variety of different means. In the Championship, all players play eighteen holes each on the Cypress and Bay Island courses on Friday, July 18th and Saturday, July 19th. After 36 holes, the field will be cut to the low 60 and ties. The final 18 holes will be played on the Cypress course on Sunday, July 20th.
Players to watch at the 68th Florida Open Championship include:
- 5 Past Florida Open Champions – Rod Perry (2011), Ben Vertz (2010), Thomas Murray (2009), Joe Alfieri (2003)and Jim Ragland (1989)
- SFPGA Player of the Year – Gene Feiger
- SFPGA Professional Champion – Jay Westerlund
- Last Year’s NFPGA PNC Champion – David Damesworth
- Last Year’s Section Champions – Rod Perry and Jay Westerlund
- Last Year’s Section Assitannt Champions – David Ladd and Keith Kulzer
- Last Year’s Section Chapter Champions – Ryan Hritz, Paul Scaletta, Brian Varsey, Jay Westerlund and Tyler Witman
- NFPGA Section Match Play Champion – Kevin Crawford
- 2 Past Amateur Players of the Year - Joe Alfieri and Jon Veneziano
- 2014 Four-Ball Amateur Champion – Conor Richardson
- 3 Qualifiers for the 2014 U.S. Amateur Championship – Brock Drogosch, Joey Petronio and Ryan Stovash
- 2013 Amateur Match Play Champion - Kevin Jorden
Started in 1942, The Florida Open Championship has produced past champions that include Willie Turnesa, Bob Murphy, Gary Koch, Bruce Fleisher, John Huston, Dudley Hart, and Bart Bryant. This will be the third year the Florida State Golf Association will be conducting this great championship.
Spectators and media are welcome to watch the state’s best professionals and amateur golfers compete at The Bonita Bay Club.