Senior Amateur Championship
April 16-18, 2013
LaCrosse Wins Senior in Dramatic Fashion
It was an action-packed day at Quail Ridge Country Club and the number of players in contention seemed endless. Heading into the 16th hole, four players were tied for the lead. Rick Woulfe, 64, of Fort Lauderdale, Doug LaCrosse, 60, of Tampa, Gordon Marshall, 57, of Sarasota, and Howard Logan, 56, of Naples were all at 3-under par for the tournament.
However, one-by-one, the nerves and over-par scores quickly surfaced. Marshall was the first to feel the pressure, bogeying the 503 yard par-5, hole 16. LaCrosse then bogeyed the long par-4 hole 17, while Howard doubled. This gave Woulfe (who was at 3-under) a one-stroke lead going into the final hole. However, an errant tee-shot into the trees forced Woulfe to hit a punch shot which carried through the green. LaCrosse and Marshall also missed the 18th green. Both Woulfe and Marshall missed their putts on 18 to save par and carded bogeys on their final hole. LaCrosse then drained his par putt to pull off an incredible up-and-down, which forced a sudden death play-off with Woulfe.
The two headed back to the 436 yard par-4, 18th hole to decide who would take home the hardware. LaCrosse stuck his approach shot close while Woulfe was unable to hit the green in regulation. With Woulfe lying 3 on the green, LaCrosse drained his birdie putt to defeat the seven-time Senior Player-of-the-Year.
It was a dramatic finish for the Tampa native, who also won the 2012 Senior Four-Ball Championship with fellow partner Steve Earsley. LaCrosse finished the tournament with a 2-under 214 (72-68-74) aggregate. This victory adds to Doug's impressive Championship resume which includes the 1992 State Amateur title and the 1995 State Mid-Amateur title.
The FSGA Senior Amateur Championship is open to amateur male golfers ages 55 and older. More than 300 players attempted to qualify, and 51 players earned exempt status through a variety of means. The field began with 144 players. 60 players advanced to the final round after a cut was implemented following the conclusion of the second round.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Sunny & Breezy||87 °F|
Entries Close Wednesday, March 6, 2013
The Senior Amateur Championship is one of the FSGA's most popular and prestigious events. Along with golf, players receive a dinner on the eve of the first round as well as lunch after the first two days of competition. The Senior Amateur Championship is a great chance to reconnect with old friends.
Quail Ridge Country Club is home to one of the country's most prestigious senior golf organizations; The Society of Seniors. Quail Ridge is also home to some of the most competitive senior golfers in the country. The club has hosted a number of national senior invitationals, along with a FSGA Championships, FSGA Qualifiers, and USGA Qualifiers.
54 holes of individual stroke play. The field of 144 players will be cut to the low 60 and ties after the second round. There will be a hole by hole play-off immediately following play in event of a tie for first place only. It is the player's responsibility to be present for any playoff. Initial groupings will be for two days; the field will be re-paired by score after the second round. Round three tee times will start at 8:00 AM off of the first & tenth tees.
Schedule of Events
Monday, April 15th
- 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM – Tournament Registration (in the main clubhouse)
- 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM – Players’ Dinner at Quail Ridge Country Club
Tuesday, April 16th
- Tournament Registration (in the main clubhouse prior to play)
- 8:00 AM - 9:39 AM - Round One morning tee times off #1 and #10
- Complimentary players' lunch buffet in the main clubhouse
- 12:30 PM - 2:09 PM - Round One afternoon tee times off #1 and #10
Wednesday, April 17th
- 8:00 AM - 9:39 AM - Round Two morning tee times off #1 and #10
- Complimentary players' lunch buffet in the main clubhouse
- 12:30 PM - 2:09 PM - Round Two afternoon tee times off #1 and #10
Thursday, April 18th
- 8:00 AM - Final Round tee times off #1 and #10
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
Championship Field Size
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,500-6,600 yards.
Male amateurs must be age 55 or older as of April 16, 2013, and be a member of the FSGA.
Qualifying Fee: $70 ($80 - members who do not have an active FSGA/GHIN Handicap). Qualifying Fee includes Entry Fee and cart fee. Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the qualifying field.
Those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying must pre-register and remit an additional $240 either online at the FSGA website at www.fsga.org or by check to the FSGA office for advance payment of Championship Fees.
To pre-register online:
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
*Championship Fees include lunch after each of the first two rounds and a Player Dinner. Payment must be received by Wednesday, April 10 by 3:30 pm, or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship. Championship Fee includes cart fees for all competitive rounds.*
Exempt Players Fee
$260 ($270 - members who do not have an active FSGA/GHIN Handicap). Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee (includes lunch after each of the first two rounds and a Player Dinner) and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption. (See below)
18 holes of stroke play at 7 sites. Cart fees are included in your qualifying fee. Qualifying Sites - Click here
A.J. Kroeger, of Apopka, won the title by shooting 69-69-75--213 at the Lake Wales Country Club in Lake Wales.
Practice Round Cart Fees
Players are responsible for practice round cart fees at qualifying sites and at the Championship Proper.
Players in the following categories will be eligible for exemption provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements.
- Last ten year's Senior Amateur Champions
- Top 30 & tied from last year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Last three year's Senior Amateur Match Play Championship senior (55-64) age division Champions
- Last year's Super Senior Champion
- Player finishing runner-up in last year's Senior Amateur Match Play Championship senior (55-64) age division
- Top 10 & tied from last year's Senior Player of the Year final point standings
- Top 20 & tied from the Winter Series senior (55-64) age division current points list as of the close of entries
- Winners of the current year's Winter Series season senior (55-64) age division individual events
- Points Champion of last year's Winter Series senior (55-64) age division points list
- Players finishing in the top 30 & tied of last year's Mid-Senior Championship
- Players making match play at last year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Players qualifying for any one of last year's USGA National Championships
- Top 3 & tied from last year's Palm Beach County Golf Association Senior points list
- Last year's PBCGA Senior Amateur Champion
- Last year's PBCGA Tour Championship Senior
- Division Champion Top 3 & tied from last year's Emerald Coast Senior Scratch Series (ECSSS)
- Last year's ECSSS Match Play Champion
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next ten Senior Amateur Championships
- Current year's Amateur Championship
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Next two Florida Senior Open Championships
Top five and tied finishers
- Current year's Florida Senior Open Championship
Top thirty and tied finishers
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship
Spectators and Caddies
Spectators and caddies are always welcome at FSGA Championships. Only players are allowed to ride in carts. If a player employs a caddie, the caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
Registration will be held in the main clubhouse from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM on Monday, April 15th and prior to competitive rounds on Tuesday, April 16th. Players will be able to pick up their tee gift and player information at that time.
Practice Round- Championship
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship, after 12:00 PM on the weekend at a rate of $30. Please call (561) 737-5100 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Championship Pace of Play
Click here to read the Championship Pace of Play Policy.
Hard Card; Local Rules and Conditions of Competitions
Click here to read the Hard Card and additional Conditions of Competitions.
Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, caddie and spectator and other policies.
Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into the Championship.
Quail Ridge Country Club accepts Cash only.
Click here for hotel accommodations in the Boynton Beach area
Directions to the Club
Quail Ridge Country Club
3715 Golf Road
Boynton Beach, FL 33436
Click here for directions