Women's Senior Amateur Championship
April 7-8, 2014
Mary Jane Hiestand successfully defends her title to win the 2014 Women’s Senior Amateur Championship as Tinker Sanger captured the Super Senior Division at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club, in Ocala on April 7-8.
Mary Jane Hiestand, of Naples opened up her title defense with the low round of the Championship on Monday, firing an even par round of 72. Hiestand would take a four stroke lead heading into the final round of play. Battling difficult and wet conditions during Tuesday’s final round, Hiestand stayed steady and continued her strong play to claim the 2014 Women's Senior Amateur with a round of 76, for a two day total of 148, which was good enough for an impressive seven shot victory.
Hiestand got off to a rough start in her final round making a double bogey on the first hole, but an impressive chip in for par on the par-3 sixth hole after she played her first shot from the water gave her momentum heading into the back nine. Hiestand capped off her title defense with a birdie on the 18th hole. Hiestand has been the Women’s Senior Amateur Player-of-the-Year for the last four years, and she is already off to a great start for the 2014 race. Lin McMillan, of Palm Coast finished alone in second place after rounds of 78-77 for a tournament total of 155. Past Champion, Taffy Brower, of Boynton Beach, and Therese Quinn, of Jacksonville, took home third place honors with a tournament total of 156.
In the Super Senior Division, Tinker Sanger of North Palm Beach also had a solid first day shooting a six over-par 78 to take the overnight lead. Sanger followed up her first round with a final day of 89 for a total of 167 to capture the Super-Senior Championship title by two strokes. Diane Armet, of West Palm Beach, posted rounds of 82-87 to finish alone in second place. Nancy Chaffee, of Avon Park and Kathie Westlund, of Fort Myers, finished tied for third place.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Senior Championship||5,785 yds. 73.0/129|
|Senior Field||5,327 yds. 70.4/124|
|Super-Senior Championship||5,327 yds. 70.4/124|
|Super-Senior Field||4,805 yds. 68.5/120|
|Lovely day!||85 °F|
|Rain and wind||76 °F|
Entries Close Wednesday, March 19th, 2014
$175 per competitor
Not only is the Women's Senior Amateur Championship a great chance to socialize with friends but it is also one of the FSGA's most popular and prestigious events allowing the top senior women amateurs in the state to compete. Also, the players' awards luncheon is the perfect way to wrap up the fun week at Golden Ocala on the final day of competition. For a look at the 2013 Championship Results click here.
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- 84 total competitors
- Four Divisions - Senior Championship, Senior Field, Super-Senior Championship or Super-Senior Field Division
- Players may select their division at the time of entry, as long as they meet the eligibility requirements
- The overall champions will be the individuals from the Senior and Super-Senior Championship Divisions with the lowest 36-hole total score.
- Must be a female amateur member of the FSGA and have reached 50 years of age by April 7, 2014.
- Players must be 65 years or older as of April 7, 2014 to be eligible to play in the Super-Senior Division, if they so choose.
- Female amateurs with a valid USGA Handicap Index of 34.0 or less.
*Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf, lunch after the final round, and gift certificate. Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Divisions and Approximate Yardages
Players must be 65 years or older as of April 7, 2014 to be eligible to play in the Super-Senior Division, if they so choose. There will be both a Championship (Gross) and Field (Gross & Net) Division in each age bracket. Players must select which Division and Field they wish to compete in upon entry. No player may play in both age brackets or Divisions within age brackets.
- Senior Championship Division - 5,800 yards approx. (Gross Only)
- Senior Field Division - 5,400 yards approx. (Gross & Net)
- Super-Senior Championship Division - 5,400 yards approx. (Gross Only)
- Super-Senior Field Division - 4,900 yards approx. (Gross & Net)
Schedule of Events
Monday, April 7th
- 7:00 AM - 9:30 AM – Tournament Registration (located near pro shop)
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM – Round One tee times off of #1 and #10 tees
Tuesday, April 8th
- 8:30 AM - Final Round Shotgun
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM (approx.) – Player's Awards luncheon - Included with entry fee
The Championship Divisions may be flighted after the first round based upon scores.
The Field Divisions will likely be pre-flighted based on individual handicaps.
Generally, divisions of more than 10 individuals will be flighted, however the Committee reserves the right to flight based on the number of individuals and/or the range of combined individual handicaps or scores.
Championship Division(s) - The overall Senior & Super Senior Champions will be the individuals from their respective Championship Divisions with the lowest 36-hole total score. In the event of a tie for first place in the Championship Divisions there will be a hole-by-hole sudden death playoff on a hole designated by the Committee to determine the champion.
Other Divisions - Ties for first place gross and first place net in each flight of the Senior and Super Senior Field Divisions will be broken by a modified USGA tie break method. The final day 18 hole respective score, whether gross or net, will be used to determine the first place gross or net individual. (If there is still a tie, the final 9 holes of the last day (holes #10-18) will be used to determine the winner. If there is still a tie, the final 6 holes are used; then if needed the final 3 holes; then the final hole; then by coin flip).
The valid USGA Handicap Indexes used will be from the March 15, 2014 revision. Each player must have a valid USGA Handicap Index no higher than 34.0.
Practice rounds are available after noon on the Saturday and Sunday prior to the Championship. Practice rounds may be available during the week prior to the Championship. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call (352) 671-3933 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Defending Senior Champion
Mary Jane Hiestand (pictured on the right), of Naples, claimed the 2013 Women's Senior Amateur in wire to wire fashion at Worthington Country Club in Bonita Springs. Hiestand backed up an opening round 72 with a final round 75 to best 3-time past champion and good friend, Diane Lang who shot 75-76 -151.
Defending Super-Senior Champion
In the Super Senior Division, Nancy Jackson (pictured on the left) of Boynton Beach came from behind to win by three strokes over Nancy Smith (84-77) of North Port. Meredith Wolf of Wellington held the first round lead after an opening 80, but a final round 85 left her in third place. After a first round 83, Jackson heated up to the tune of a final round 75.
Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club
Not only is Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club set in the breathtaking Ocala scenery, but the course features eight replica holes from some of the most famous courses around the world that include Augusta, Royal Troon, Baltusrol, Muirfield, and St. Andrews. Golden Ocala has also been host to other FSGA championships, including the Senior Amateur, Senior Amateur Match Play, Mid-Amateur, and the Junior Florida Cup.
- Spectator and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - If a player employs a caddie, the caddie MUST walk and player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel & Accommodations
Courtyard by Marriott Ocala
3712 SW 38th Avenue
Ocala, FL 34474
Golden Ocala G&EC only accepts Visa/Mastercard, American Express, and cash for payment.
Directions to Golden Ocala G&EC
8300 NW 31st Lane Road
Ocala, FL 34482