13th Florida Cup
October 15-16, 2020
North Triumphs at 13th Florida Cup Matches!
NAPLES, Fla. – For the second-straight time, it was the North Team who raised the Florida Cup trophy on Friday. North Florida was victorious during the two-day championship, retaining the cup with a 23-9 win at Bay Colony Golf Club.
This year’s 14-point margin of victory is largest in Florida Cup 13-year history. This victory also breaks the tie in overall team victories, giving the North the edge, 7-6.
The North came out strong earning 5.5 in the morning, while the South picked up two and a half. After winning three-straight hole to take an early 3-up lead, Jordan Batchelor and Rhett Pooley captured the first point of the day for the North Team, defeating Joey Latowski and Derek Hurwitch, 1 up.
Miles McConnell and Mike Smith added another point of the North, taking down Daniel Eggertsson and Kasey Denesevich, 2 up. South’s Will Davenport and Richard Donegan picked up the first point of the day for the South Team, earning a 1-up win against Mike Finster and Devon Hopkins.
Rick Woulfe and Pete Williams won three-straight hole to close out their match with a 3-and-2 win against Richard Kerper and Jimmy Jones. In the last match of the morning, Joe Alfieri and Daniel DeBra gave another point to the North Team with a 3-and-1 win over Carl Santos-Ocampo and Marc France.
The North continued their strong play in the afternoon matches, winning five matches and adding six points. The South earned one win, while two matches ended in a tie. Jacksonville duo, Batchelor and Hopkins teamed up in the afternoon foursomes matches to capture a decisive 5-and-3 win. They won the first three holes to jump into an early lead and secured the win on the 15th hole.
Finster and McConnell won two-straight holes to pick up a 2-and-1 victory against Eggertsson and Denesevich. Lacrosse and Whittemore added another point for the North, earning the win against Woulfe and Williams, 3 and 2.
Pooley and Scott Turner secured the lone victory for the South Team in the afternoon, winning three of the final four holes to defeat Joe Alfieri and Steve Albright, 5 and 4.
In the final round, the North continued to dominate, winning 10 of the singles matches on Friday.
The first match off in the morning pitted two FSGA Hall of Famers against each other, Woulfe and LaCrosse. Woulfe came out hot winning three-straight holes to take a 3-up lead, eventually defeating LaCrosse, 3 and 2, to give the South Team an early point.
Debra picked up a commanding with for the North, defeating Sanots-Ocampo, 7 and 6, after winning five-straight holes to start the match. North's Alfieri won back-to-back holes to secured the win over Hammer, 4 and 3. Albright fought back on the back nine, winning three of the first four holes on the back nine to take the lead. He earned the 2-and-1 win on the 17th to add another point for the North.
Latowski, who captured the Mid-Amateur Championship last weekend, picked up one of the South's three wins on Friday. He defeated Marc Dull, 4 and 3.
McConnell took the lead on the eighth hole over TJ Shuart and never looked back, earning a 5-and-4 win for the North. Smith came out strong, winning the first five holes against Eggertsson and capturing the win for the North Team, 4 and 3. Whittemore and Brooke both added points for the North with a 4-and-2 win and a 1-up win, respectively.
Whittemore, Brooke, McConnell and Smith were the only players in the field to finish the week undefeated with three match wins.
Held every two years, 16 of the top amateurs from North Florida face off with 16 of the top amateurs from South Florida. Using a Ryder Cup format, the team with most points over two days holds the cup. Players are invited based on their performance from the previous two seasons. In 2018, North Florida won to tie the series 6-6.
Format: Three rounds of team match play
Eligibility: Invitational - male amateurs age 21 & up
Entry Fee: $175
Qualifying: FSGA Two-Year North & South Points Lists
- 16 members per team
- Each team consists of 12 amateurs and 4 senior amateur golfers
- Ryder Cup style format between the North Team and the South Team
- Each match is worth one point to the team total
- First team to 16 1/2 points wins the Cup for one year
- A 16-16 tie results in the defending champions retaining the Cup for an additional two years.
- Invitation only for male amateurs (21 and older).
- 8 Amateurs selected from the Two-Year Amateur Player of the Year Points List
- 2 Senior Amateurs selected form the Two-Year Senior Player of the Year Points List
- 4 Amateurs selected by the FSGA Championship Committee
- 2 Senior Amateurs selected by the FSGA Championship Committee
Players are selected by their standing on the Points Lists on the Wednesday, September 9th, after the Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Championship. Due to NCAA regulations, college players are not eligible. Any designated selections which are not filled due to ineligibility, or other reason, will be selected by the FSGA Championship Committee.
- Four rounds of golf (practice round & three competition rounds)
- Two team shirts
- Florida Cup golf bag
- Florida Cup hat
- Florida Cup towel
- Lunch - Thursday
- Singles Pairings Dinner - Thursday
Wednesday, October 14th
- 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM - Practice rounds
Thursday, October 15th
- 8:00 AM - 8:30 AM - Four-ball matches off 1st and 10th tees
- 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM - Foursomes matches off 1st and 10th tees
- Pairings Party (evening)
Friday, October 16th
- 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM - Singles matches off 1st and 10th tees
- Awards ceremony
The golf course will be set-up at approximately
- Mid-Amateurs - 6,800-7,000 yards
- Senior Amateurs - 6,400-6,600 yards
In one of the more closely contested matches, North Team Co-Captain, Marc Dull, defeated Scott Turner 2&1, to give the North a 16.5 - 15.5 victory in 2018 at Hammock Dunes Club. This was the North's first victory since 2011, and tied the series back up at 6-6. Click here for full results from 2018.
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Holderness & Bourne is the official outfitter of the Florida Cup
Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort Naples - Rate: $149 per night. Click Here to Book Online
Bay Colony Golf Club will only accept Visa/MasterCard, and American Express for payment.
Directions to the Club
Bay Colony Golf Club
9740 Bent Grass Bend
Naples, FL 34108