66th Boys' Junior Amateur Championship - 16-18 Division
July 7-9, 2020
Coelho Conquers Streamsong to Win
STREAMSONG, Fla. – The Black Course at Streamsong Resort and the Florida heat proved to be a tough test, but it was Kiko Francisco Coelho who came out on top on Thursday at the 66th Boys’ Junior Amateur Championship. Coelho fired a 13-under 206 to capture the three-shot victory and his first FSGA Championship.
“It means a lot,” Coelho said. “It’s one of the greatest junior tournaments in Florida. I felt great about my game coming into it and I played really well this week.”
Starting the day one shot behind the leaders, Coelho got off to a quick start with three birdies in the first five holes to move into the top spot on the leaderboard. He posted a bogey-free front nine, carding five birdies.
“I knew being one-shot back was nothing on this course,” Coelho said. “I just tried to start well and I played really good on the front nine.”
The Lake Mary resident had a rocky start to his back nine, with back-to-back bogeys. Coelho turned it around with key birdies on the seventh and ninth to hold on to his lead. He finished par-par to secure the win. A key stretch of holes for Coelho proved to be hole 12 through 15, as he was a combined 10 under on those four holes in three days.
Coelho put together three under-par rounds, 66-72-68, to earn the win. His first-round 66 was the low round of the championship, where he birdied seven holes on the back nine. This is Coelho's second-straight victory, after taking the Florida Junior Tour win at Mission Inn on the previous weekend.
Brendan Valdes and Nicholas Gabrelcik both made a run at the title in the final round, finishing the championship at 10-under 209 to take home second place with Leo Herrera. Valdes, who began the day four shots back of the leaders, posted a bogey-free front nine with five birdies, including four straight to close out his front nine. The Orlando native used an even-par second nine to earn a share of second place and a final-round 68.
Gabrelcik, the 2019 Junior Player of the Year, also put together a bogey-free front nine with four birdies. After a bogey to start the back, the Trinity rebounded quickly with back-to-back birdies. He finished the day with a second-nine 35 to shoot a final-round 68.
Herrera, who shared the 36-hole lead, carded a final round 72 to take home a runner-up finish. The Doral native birdied the 10th hole to move up in a tie for second with Gabrelcik and Valdes.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys (16-18)||7,176 yds. 74.0/133|
|4 Hours Cumulative Weather Delays||92 °F|
Entries for tournaments scheduled in June and early July will be processed (charged) when we are certain the tournament will be conducted. State and county guidelines may require us to modify the field size. If the field size is modified, the FSGA reserves the right to modify the field determination process.
Championship Format Change For 2020 Only
84 Player Championship Field - 54 Holes Stroke Play with no cut
Course Rotation: All rounds to be played on the Black course
Format: 54-holes of gross stroke play
Eligibility: Male Florida resident - junior golfer
Handicap: Florida GHIN required (10.0 or less)
Entry Fee: $175
- (16-18) Age Division
- 54 holes of individual stroke play
- All play will be on the Black course at Streamsong Resort
- There will be NO cut
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 90 players
- Streamsong Resort Black course
- Male amateur golfer
- Florida Resident
- Entrant must be no older than 18 as of the last day of the Championship and not attending college if graduated from high school. See exception here.
- Entrant is not required to be a member of the FSGA.
- All players must compete in the age division commensurate with their age as of the last day of the Championship.
$175 - Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf and tee gift. Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late fee should the entrant gain acceptance in to the field.
Entry Priority (first-come, first-served based on priority criteria)
- Previous Boys' Junior Champions (either age divisions)
- Florida Junior Tour winner's since last year's Championship
- Next 100 Junior Invitational Champion
- All players who made the cut in last year's Boys' Junior Championship
- Quarter-finalists from last year's Boys' Junior Match Play Championship (16-18)
- Player's who qualified for last year's State Amateur Championship
- Player's who qualified for last year's Florida Open Championship
- Player's who qualified for last year's Amateur Match Play Championship
- Top 100 in Florida's Junior Golf Scoreboard rankings as of close of entries
- Qualified for one of last year's USGA Championships
- Top 3 & ties from last year's FHSAA Golf finals
- Top 30 & ties (16-18) from last year's final FJT Points List
- Top 30 & ties (16-18) from current year's FJT Points List at close of entries
- Top 100 & ties from last year's Boys' Player of the Year Points List
- Top 1,000 & ties from last year's final World Amateur Golf Rankings
Any additional available spots and all alternate spots will be filled by (in this order):
- Florida Junior Golf Scoreboard ranking (at close of entries)
- Receipt of entry (first-come, first-served)
Last Chance Qualifier
One last chance qualifier will be conducted on Tuesday, June 23rd for golfers that did not gain entry in to the championship field. Entries will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Entries will open on June 12th, 2020 at 8:00 AM.
Approximate amount of qualifying spots - 10
The FSGA reserves the right to modify the entry process at any time.
The FSGA may hold an undisclosed number of spots for exceptional circumstances.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately:
- 6,900 - 7,100 yards (Boys 16-18)
Schedule of Events
Tuesday, July 7th
- 6:30 AM - 9:00 AM - Registration - located near the clubhouse
- 7:00 AM - 8:57 AM - Round one tee times off of #1 & #12 on the Black course
- Boxed lunch provided for players
Wednesday, July 8th
- 7:00 AM - 8:57 AM- Round two tee times off of #1 & #12 on the Black course
- Boxed lunch provided for players
Thursday, July 9th
- 7:00 AM - 8:57 AM Black course - Final round tee times begin off of #1 and #12
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
World & National Rankings
The championship is ranked by the World Amateur Golf Ranking and Junior Golf Scoreboard.
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Top five - Fully Exempt
- Top ten finishers earn 12 performance stars
- Top fifteen finishers earn 8 performance stars
- Top twenty five finishers earn 4 performance stars
Practice rounds are available two days prior (July 5th & 6th) to the Championship on a space available basis and after 9:00 AM. Players' will be walking for their practice round. The price for a practice round is $25.00 + tax. The price for a parent to play is $89.00 + tax. Please call 863-428-1000 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
You may not make your practice round tee time before Championship groupings are made.
Practice Before & Between Rounds
A player may not practice on the competition course before or between rounds. Penalty for first breach: General Penalty. Penalty for second breach: Disqualification.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
Boys Junior (16 - 18)
- Future Boys' Junior Championships (must meet age and eligibility requirements)
- Current and next year's Amateur Match Play Championship
- Next year's Amateur Championship
- Next year's Florida Open
Top 10 and tied finishers
- Next year's Boys' Junior Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed.
- Transportation - Players must walk and carry their bag (push carts are allowed).
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Click here for host hotel information
1000 Streamsong Dr.
Streamsong, FL 33834
Click here for directions.