Futures Championship (11-12 & 9-10)
August 22-23, 2020
Huebner, Tanke and Dovhey Crowned Futures Champions
NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. - Jessy Huebner, Ryan Nana Tanke, and Bella Dovhey prevailed with impressive rounds of golf to hoist trophies at the Futures Championship hosted by Sugar Mill Country Club. Huebner was victorious in the Boys 11-12 Division, Nana Tanke picked up the win in the Boys 9-10 Division and Dovhey took home the victory in the Girls 11-12 Division.
Huebner, of Port Saint Lucie, played lights out golf to defend his title of Futures champion with a record-low 10-under par. The first round finished with Lev Grinberg in the lead, one stroke ahead of Huebner. Four Corners resident, Grinberg, carded three birdies on the both the front and back nine to take the early lead at 5-under 67. One less birdie for Huebner left him in second place, ready to chase Grinberg in the final round on Sunday.
The final round got off to a rough start for Grinberg, while Huebner birdied the fourth, sixth and seventh to take the lead by one stroke heading into the last nine holes. Despite Grinberg’s slow start, he fought back with three-straight birdies to remain within one stroke of the lead. A flawless back nine with four birdies, secured the back-to-back win for Huebner. Impressive rounds of 68-66 and a finish of 10-under 134 gave Huebner a five-stroke victory. Grinberg finished in third with a final-round 74 and 141 total. Miles Russell, of Jacksonville Beach, posted five birdies in his final round to erase a two-stroke deficit and finish in second place at 5-under 139.
Two steady rounds for Nana Tanke, of Palm Beach Gardens, secured him the top spot on the leaderboard in his first FSGA start. Nana Tanke took the early lead after a first-round 74 and never let first place out of sight in the final round.
In the final round, Nana Tanke had trouble on the fourth hole, but stayed strong and carded an eagle on the par-5 fifth hole. A birdie on the 10th hole followed by eight pars, allowed Nana Tanke to finish Sunday’s round at even par. Chase Bauer, of Gotha, stayed close to Nana Tanke in the final round. Bauer started the day two strokes back and carded a final-round 71 to finish in second place at 3-over 147. Nana Tanke captured the lead by one stroke at 2-over 146 and hoisted his first FSGA trophy.
Dovhey, of Orlando, prevailed to win her first FSGA championship after a two-hole playoff. A round-one 3-under 69 put Dovhey in the lead by one-stroke over Chloe Chang, of Sarasota. Excitement began in the final round as Kayla Bryant lit up the back nine with a string of four back-to-back birdies. Bryant, who has won two 9-12 FJT events this year, started the final round four strokes back. A final nine-hole score of 31 and a 67 finish tied Bryant with Dovhey in first place. Dovhey played a steady final round with three birdies to finish with a 71 and 4-under 140 tie at the top.
Dovhey and Bryant headed to the 10th hole for a playoff to determine the champion. Both players made a par on the first playoff hole and continued to the 11th. Dovhey sunk her par putt to earn her a win in her first-ever event with the FSGA. Chang finished in third four-strokes back after a final-round 74 and 144 finish.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 11-12||5,631 yds., 67.6/119|
|Boys 9-10||5,082 yds., 65.0/112|
|Girls 11-12||5,082 yds., 69.8/119|
|Cloudy & Humid||88 °F|
Format: 36-holes of gross stroke play
Eligibility: Male of female junior amateur golfer
Handicap: Florida GHIN required
Entry Fee: $100
- 9-10 and 11-12 Age Divisions
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- If necessary, there will be a hole by hole play-off to determine the Champion. It is the player's responsibility to be present for any play-off.
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 84 players
- Field size to be determined based proportionately on the number of entries in each division.
- At the close of entries, if the 9-10 division (boys or girls) has 3 or less entrants, those players must choose one of the following options: 1) Play up into the 11-12 division OR 2) Withdraw from the event and receive a full refund.
- Sugar Mill Country Club - White/Red course
- Male or Female amateur golfers
- Entrant must be no older than 12 as of the last day of the Championship.
- Entrant is not required to be a member of the FSGA
- All players must compete in the age division commensurate with their age as of the last day of the Championship. No players are allowed to play out of their age division. Exception: Those players granted permission to play up into the 9-10 age divisions during the season will be allowed to compete in the 9-10 age division of the Championship.
$100 - Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf and tee gift. Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
- First come, first served up to 60 entries.
- After the first 60 entries are processed, the FSGA will hold spots for Champions from the season and those players atop the Points Lists who have yet to enter.
- An alternates list will be posted to the website under "Tee Times and Player Information".
The FSGA reserves the right to modify the selection process and field sizes referenced below.
Approximately 54 boys and 30 girls will be accepted into the field
- Boys 11-12 - 36 players
- Girls 11-12 - 18 players
- Boys 9-10 - 18 players
- Girls 9-10 - 12 players
Field sizes may change based on the number of entries in each age division
The golf course will be set-up at approximately:
- Boys 11-12 Age Division - 5,500 yards
- Girls 11-12 Age Division - 5,000 yards
- Boys 9-10 Age Division - 5,000 yards
- Girls 9-10 Age Division - 4,200 yards
Saturday, August 22nd
- 6:45 AM - 9:00 AM - Player Registration
- 7:30 AM - 9:27 AM - Tee times off #1 & #10 tees
Sunday, August 23rd
- 7:30 AM - 9:27 AM - Tee times off #1 & #10 tees
- Awards ceremony following the completion of play
The Championship is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard for the 11-12 age divisions only.
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Champion- 2 stars
- Top Five- 1 star
- Champion- 2 stars
- Top Three- 1 star
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship and after 12:00 PM on the weekend prior on a space available basis The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call 386-426-5200 to book your practice round at Sugar Mill Country Club. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Boys 11-12 Champion- Tyler Chapman
Girls 11-12 Champion- Katelyn Huber
Boys 9-10 Champion- Jessy Huebner
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed.
- Transportation - Players must walk and carry their bag (push carts are allowed).
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Sugar Mill Country Club
100 Clubhouse Circle
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
Click here for directions.