Futures Championship (11-12 & 9-10)
June 8-9, 2019
ENGLEWOOD, Fla. – The future of the game was won with impressive red numbers from Tyler Chapman, Jessy Huebner, and Katelyn Huber at Lemon Bay Golf Club.
Despite a forecast of thunderstorms hanging above the Futures Championship, the juniors dominated with impressive play in the 9-12 division. A total of eleven under-par rounds were posted under clear skies and windy conditions. Lemon Bay Golf Club was a great host for the future of the game.
It came down to the final round to determine the Boys 11-12 champion after Phillip Dunham and Matvey Golovanov tied for the lead after a round one score of 69 (-3). Dunham, of Jacksonville, started his first round with four birdies on the front nine and finished with an eagle on the par five 16th hole. Boca Raton resident, Matvey Golovanov, played a consistent first round with three birdies and one lone bogey.
Sunday’s final round was a back and forth battle between the top three finishers after round one; Golovanov, Dunham, and Chapman. Dunham struggled making bogey on the first three holes of his second round but fought back making a birdie on the par three, fifth hole. Two bogies and two birdies made up Golovanov’s first nine holes while Chapman started to make his comeback with one birdie and eight pars on the front nine. Finishing with an even par, one bogey and one birdie, back nine, Dunham carded a final round 74 to fall to a tied for third place finish with Mateo Desmond and Nicolas Bencomo. The finishing holes were a battle between Chapman and Golovanov. The two battled back and forth to enter the 15th hole at a tie. On the 16th hole, both Chapman and Golovanov hit their tee shots in the right fairway bunker and their approach shots on the green in regulation. Golovanov two putted to par the hole and Chapman made a 10-foot putt for birdie to start the last two holes in the lead by one stroke. Both players scored a par on 17 and 18 to crown Chapman Futures Champion with a final round 69 and 139 (-3) finish. Golovanov finished in second place with a final round of 71 and 140 (-2) total. Chapman secured his first FSGA victory by overcoming a one stroke deficit to win!
Jessy Huebner, of Port Saint Lucie, erased a two stroke deficit to earn his sixth FSGA win in the Boys 9-10 division! A first round of three birdies and all pars secured the early lead for Miles Russell, of Jacksonville Beach. Luke Parsons, of Salley, SC, finished his first round one stroke behind with a 69 after carding four birdies. Eventual champion, Huebner, started the final round in third place after a first round 70. Russell got off to a rough start making the turn with a 41 to finish in third place at 146 (+4). Parsons carded three birdies and three bogies in his final round to finish in second place with a 140 (-2) total. Huebner held his ground and played near flawless golf with three birdies and one bogey in his final round to advance to first place. A 139 (-3) total allowed Huebner to hoist the first place trophy!
Records were broken in the Girls 11-12 division by Katelyn Huber, of Gainesville. Huber dominated the field with a wire-to-wire victory after taking the early lead due to a round one even par 71. Kayla Bryant and Arenui Faana posted a first round 74 to follow Huber in second place. The final round was played lights out by Huber as she carded the tournament low and her personal lowest score of 65, six under-par. Huber’s final round scorecard was highlighted with eight birdies, five of which were posted on her final nine holes. Huber won her second FSGA event by scoring her lowest 36-hole total of 136 (-6). Sophia Stiwich, of North Port, finished with a one under-par 70 to claim second place with a 145 (+3) total, nine strokes behind. A 148 (+6) total earned Angela Nip, of Port Saint Lucie, a third place finish while Bryant and Faana finished in fourth and fifth place respectively.
1 Tyler Chapman -3 (139)
2 Matvey Golovanov -2 (140)
T3 Mateo Desmond +1 (143)
T3 Phillip Dunham +1 (143)
T3 Nicolas Bencomo +1 (143)
1 Katelyn Huber -6 (136)
2 Sophia Stiwich +3 (145)
3 Angela Nip +6 (148)
4 Kayla Bryant +9 (151)
5 Arenui Faana +11 (153)
1 Jessy Huebner -3 (139)
2 Luke Parsons -2 (140)
3 Miles Russell +4 (146)
4 Graden Lomax +6 (148)
5 Lion Ziao Liu +9 (151)
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 11-12||5567 yds., 66.7/118|
|Boys 9-10||5070 yds., 65.5/108|
|Girls 11-12||5070 yds., 65.5/108|
|Hot w/ a slight breeze||89 °F|
- 84 player field size
- Age Divisions: Boys and Girls 11-12 and 9-10 years of age
- Thirty-six holes of individual stroke play
- If necessary, there will be a hole by hole play-off to determine the Champion. It is the player's responsibility to be present for any play-off.
- Male or female amateur golfer
- Entrant is not required to be a member of the FSGA
- Must be at least 9 years of age on the first day of the Championship and no older than 12 years of age as of the last day of the Championship
- All players will compete in the age division commensurate with their age as of the last day of the Championship. No players are allowed to play out of their age division.
- Exception: Those players granted permission to play up into the 9-10 age divisions during the season will be allowed to compete in the 9-10 age divisions of the Championship.
- Championship Fee: $100
Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf, tee gift, and a trophy for the winner in each division. Late entries will be accepted and subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, June 8th
- 6:45 - 9:15 AM - Player Registration
- 7:30 - 9:27 AM - Round One tee times off #1 & #10 tees
Sunday June 9th
- 7:30 - 9:27 AM - Final Round tee times off #1 & #10 tees
- Awards ceremony following the completion of play
Entry Priority and Field Determination
The Championship field is determined by the following method:
1. FJT winners from the current season (November 2018 - May 2019) are reserved a spot in the Championship field. Players must have their entry in before the close of entries on May 22nd, 2019.
2. All other entries will be held until the close of entries date. Players will then be accepted based off their standing on the FJT points lists as of the close of entries. In some extraordinary cases, performance in other national or state events may be taken into account.
Approximately 54 boys and 30 girls will be accepted into the field:
- Boys 11-12 - 36 players
- Girls 11-12 - 18 players
- Boys 9-10 - 18 players
- Girls 9-10 - 12 players
Field sizes may change based on the number of entries in each age division.
Boys Points Standings
Girls Points Standings
3. An alternates list will be posted to the website under "Tee Times and Player Information".
The FSGA reserves the right to modify the selection process and field sizes referenced above.
- Boys 11-12 Age Division - 5,500 yards
- Girls 11-12 Age Division - 5,000 yards
- Boys 9-10 Age Division - 5,000 yards
- Girls 9-10 Age Division - 4,200 yards
Please click here to view the approximate distance per hole for each age division.
Boys and Girls 11-12 Age Division
- Ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament on a space-available basis. Tee times are only available after 12:00 PM on the weekends. The price for a practice round is $30.00 plus tax.
Please call 941-697-3729 to arrange your practice round.
Always remember, the proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range. Hitting multiple shots on the course, not filling divots, and not repairing ball marks is unacceptable and may cause removal from the tournament without a refund.
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Champion earns 1 performance star.
- Champion earns 1 performance star.
Exemptions and Earning Permission to Play Up
9-10 Age Division
Champions of the Girls 9-10 and Boys 9-10 divisions will earn the ability to play in their respective 11-12 division.
11-12 Age Division
Champions of the Girls 11-12 and Boys 11-12 divisions will earn the ability to play in their respective Florida Junior Tour 13-15 division. Champions will ALSO earn one exemption into a Florida Junior Tour 13-15 event.
The FSGA reserves the right to modify the above selection process for earning the ability to play up.
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed.
- Transportation - Players must walk and carry their bag (push carts are allowed).
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here. Spectators are allowed. Spectator carts are available on a first-come, first-served basis for $25 plus tax.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Click here to view host hotel information.
Directions - Lemon Bay Golf Club
9600 Eagle Preserve Drive
Englewood, FL 34224