Women's Amateur Stroke Play Championship
July 5-7, 2019
LECANTO, Fla. – A down to the wire finish crowned Kendall Griffin Champion of the 25th Women’s Amateur Stroke Play Championship hosted by Black Diamond Ranch.
Round one was a battle against mother nature, and The Quarry Course, as a final suspension of the day resulted in several groups finishing their first round early the following morning. Mindy Herrick, of Gainesville, led after round one with the only under-par score of 71. Following close behind were tough competitors, Taylor Roberts, of Parkland, and Jacqueline Putrino, of Sarasota, at even par.
Despite a two hour and 15 minute suspension that was shortly follow by a second 30 minute suspension, the players were able to complete the second round and light up the leader board with red numbers. Taylor Roberts started a birdie train on the back nine carding birdies on holes 11 through 14 followed by a birdie finish on the 18th to post a tournament low of 5-under, 67, giving Roberts a seven stroke lead over the current Women's Amateur Champion, Emmy Martin. Alisa Clark, of Bradenton, carded an impressive 69 in round two to tie Putrino and Kendall Griffin, of Sebring, in third place at 3-over, 147.
Sunday's final round finally saw a day with no weather suspensions and was a back and forth battle between Roberts and Griffin to crown the champion. Griffin started chipping away at her eight stroke deficit with birdies on holes five, six, and nine. Roberts struggled through the finishing holes of her first nine, falling to turn at 42 and even with Griffin. Two bogies and two birdies from Roberts kept her tied with Griffin going into the final two holes. Both Griffin and Roberts bogeyed the par three 17th to take the championship down to the final hole. Three precise shots landed Griffin eight feet for birdie on the 18th hole. After making only 10 putts on her first nine holes, Griffin confidently rolled in her birdie putt to take the outright lead. After the final hole Griffin commented, “I honestly didn’t know I really had a shot until I made my birdie putt on 18 and the cheer was a little louder than usual." Roberts secured a second place finish with a par on the final hole and 218 (+2) total. Griffin, an incoming junior at Louisiana State University and 2013 Girls’ Junior Champion, was crowned victorious at a final 1-over, 217. Alexa Rivas carded a tournament low final round of 66 (-6) to finish in third place at 219 (+3). Griffin explained her emotion after hoisting the trophy, “It feels amazing to win this event!"
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Round 1||6,044 yds., 75.9/140|
|Round 2||5,962 yds., 75.4/139|
|Round 3||5,962 yds., 75.4/139|
|Weather Suspension||90 °F|
|Weather Suspension||87 °F|
Black Diamond Ranch - Lecanto will host the 25th Women's Amateur Stroke Play Championship, featuring some of the top women amateur golfers in Florida. The Tom Fazio design offers a dramatic golf environment that both challenging and beautiful. For a look at the 2018 Championship results click here.
$190 (for GHIN handicap members)
$200 (for non-GHIN handicap members)
Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf, tee gift, an awards luncheon after the final round on Sunday, and gift certificate prizes. Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
- Female amateur golf
- Florida residency required
- A valid USGA Handicap Index not exceeding 14.4
- Entrant is not required to be a member of the FSGA
- 54 holes of individual stroke play
- The overall Champion will be the individual with the lowest 54-hole total score
Entry Priority - New for 2019
Prior to Close of Entries
- Last 5 Women's Amateur Stroke Play Champions
- Top 20 players and tied from last year's Women's Amateur Stroke Play Championship
- Top 50 players and tied from last year's Women's Player of the Year Points List
- Top 50 players and tied from last year's Girls' Junior Player of the Year Points List
- Top 1000 and tied players on WAGR
- Any player qualifying for last year's U.S. Women's Open Championship
- Any player qualifying for last year's U.S. Women's Amateur Championship
- Any player qualifying for last year's U.S. Girls' Junior Championship
After Close of Entries
- Any available spots in the field will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis
- Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
The FSGA may hold an undisclosed number of spots for exceptional circumstances.
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 90 players
Schedule of Events
Friday, July 5th
6:30 - 9:30 AM - Player Registration
7:30 - 9:36 AM - Round One tee times off #1 & #10
Saturday, July 6th
7:30 - 9:36 AM - Round Two tee times off #1 & #10
Sunday, July 7th
7:30 - 9:36 AM - Final Round tee times off #1 & #10
Awards luncheon immediately following play
- 5,900 - 6,100 yards (Gross Only)
The overall Champion will be the individual with the lowest total score. In the event of a tie for first place, there will be a hole-by-hole sudden death play-off on a hole designated by the Committee to determine the Champion.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship and after 12:00 PM the weekend prior on a space available basis. THERE WILL BE A 2:00 PM SHOTGUN ON JULY 4TH that players are able to play in on a space available basis. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call 352-746-3440 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Haydyn Gibson, of Clearwater, earned her first FSGA Championship title by sinking key birdie putts. After round two Gibson sat in solo third. During Sundays final round, Gibson turned at two under-par and made birdies on 10, 13, and 17 to secure a six stroke victory!
- Spectator and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player’s clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Suggested Hotels & Accommodations
Hampton Inn - Crystal River
1103 N. Suncoast Parkway
Crystal River, FL 34429
$169 +tax per night
Please call to book your reservation
Must book by June 10th
Black Diamond Ranch accepts AmEx, Visa /MasterCard, and Cash.
Directions - Black Diamond Ranch
3125 West Black Diamond Ranch Circle
Lecanto, FL 34461