Florida Senior Open Championship
August 9-11, 2013
Horrobin Wins Florida Senior Open
Peter Horrobin posted a tournament total of fourteen-under par 202 to capture the Florida Senior Open Championship at Interlachen Country Club and Shingle Creek Golf Club, on August 9-11.
Peter Horrobin, from Miami, fired a final round of five-under par 67 on Sunday to win by three strokes and take home the $5,000 first prize. Horrobin opened up the Championship playing Interlachen Country Club, where he would post a six-under par 66 to trail the leader by only one stroke. In the second round held at Shingle Creek Golf Club, Horrobin continued his steady play carding a three-under par 69, which included 5 birdies to go along with only two bogeys. After 36-holes of play Horrobin would trail the leader, Dennis Meyer, of Estero, by one stroke heading into the final round.
In the final round at Interlachen Country Club, Horrobin got off to a hot start making birdies on 3, 4, and 7 to take control of the tournament and turn at three-under par 33. Horrobin continued his solid play on the back nine making birdies on 12, 14, and 16 to go with his lone bogey on the afternoon on number 13, to fire a final round of five-under par 67 and capture his first Florida Senior Open title. Doug Dunakey, of Port Charlotte, finished alone in second place posting rounds of 66-70-69, for a tournament total of eleven-under par 205. Gary Koch, of Tampa, and Kim Young, of Oviedo, finished tied for third place with a tournament total of nine-under par 207. Gordon Marshall, of Sarasota, took home low amateur honors after his rounds of 72-71-68, good enough for ninth place.
The Florida Senior Open is for players who are at least 50 years of age by the beginning of the event. The Championship is conducted over fifty-four holes of individual stroke play. At the Championship each player played 18-holes at Interlachen Country Club, in Winter Park, and Shingle Creek Golf Club, in Orlando, with a cut instituted after thirty-six holes to the low 60 players and ties.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Interlachen Country Club||6,649 yds.|
|Shingle Creek Golf Club||6,655 yds.|
|Hot, light wind||94 °F|
Entries Close Wednesday June 26, 2013
The 2013 Florida Senior Open will be conducted August 9-11 at Interlachen Country Club in Winter Park and Shingle Creek Golf Club in Orlando. This will be the first time this Championship will be conducted in Central Florida. The Florida Senior Open gives the best senior amateurs in the state a chance to compete with senior golf professionals living in Florida. For players to compete in the Florida Senior open they would need to be 50 years old as of the first day of the Championship. Interlachen Country Club is one of the finest golf clubs in Central Florida, which has hosted a number of great FSGA Championships.
Exemptions may be earned though State Amateur Championships & PGA Section Events. (See Exemptions listed at the bottom of this page)
Fifty-four holes of individual stroke play. The field will be cut to the low sixty and ties after thirty-six holes. The lowest score for 54 holes will be the Champion. If necessary, there will be a hole by hole play-off immediately following play in event of a tie for first place only. It is the player's responsibility to be present for any playoff.
Schedule of Events
Friday, August 9th
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round One tee times off of #1 and #10 at Interlachen Country Club
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round One tee times off of #1 and #10 at Shingle Creek Golf Club
Saturday, August 10th
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round Two tee times off of #1 and #10 at Interlachen Country Club
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round Two tee times off of #1 and #10 at Shingle Creek Golf Club
- After play has finished the field will be cut to the low 60 players an ties
Sunday, August 11th
- 8:00 AM - Final Round tee times off of #1 and #10 at Interlachen Country Club
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
Championship Field Size
The golf courses will be set-up at approximately 6,600-6,900 yards.
18 holes stroke play at 8 sites. Click here
Players may submit one entry for the Florida Senior Open and choose the site at which they will attempt to qualify. However, if any site requires adjustment (including , but not limited to, the receipt of more entries than can be accommodated), players will be transferred to another site based on their preference listed on the entry application and date of receipt of entry application (i.e. later applicants will be subject to transfer).
Open to male Florida Golf Professionals and Amateurs at least 50 years of age who are residents of Florida. (PGA class A-3 members and players that have played in more than 10 select professional tour events are ineligible). See Eligibility page for complete details and a list of professional tours. Click here to view FSGA Tournament Policies.
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee|| Exempt Fee
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the qualifying field. Players who advance to the Championship through local qualifying must pre-register and remit the appropriate Championship Fee at www.fsga.org under the "My Account" section, which can be located in the top right hand corner of the web-page. Payment must be received by Monday, August 5 by 12:00 PM or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship. Championship fee includes: golf, cart fees and range balls plus a player badge and tee gift.
To pre-register online:
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Exempt Player's Fee
$300 for Professionals, and $200 for Amateurs. Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption. Click here for a list of Exempt Players.
Pete Williams of Juno Beach, won the Florida Senior Open Championship shooting a 70-66-68--204 at Bear Lakes Country Club in West Palm Beach.
Cart and Caddie Policy
Players have the option of walking or riding (Cart is included in qualifying fee). Only a player or his caddie may ride in a cart at any given time, but not both at the same time.
Cart fees are included in the Championship Fee for all competitive rounds of the Championship. Only a player or his caddie may ride in a cart at any given time, but not both at the same time. Players may either walk or ride, at the Championship. All players, including those choosing to walk, must adhere to the established FSGA Pace of Play Policy.
All players play eighteen holes each at Interlachen Country Club and Shingle Creek Golf Club on Friday, August 9th and Saturday, August 10th. The field will be cut to the low sixty and ties after 36 holes. The final eighteen holes will be played at Interlachen Country Club.
Championship Practice Round and Practice Facility Information
Practice rounds will be available to the competitors one week in advance of the competition on a space available basis. The cost of practice rounds is $25 plus tax. Players will be responsible for direct payment of any fees for the practice rounds.
To schedule a practice round at Interlachen Country Club call (407) 657-5220
To schedule a practice round at Shingle Creek Golf Club call (407) 996-9939
You may not make your practice round tee time before qualifying is completed. Weather permitting, qualifying concludes on Monday, July 30th. A list of players will be faxed to the club following the conclusion of qualifying.
Players in the following categories will be eligible for exemption provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements.
- Last five year's Florida Senior Open Champions
- Professionals finishing top ten and tied from last year's Florida Senior Open
- Championship Host Club's Representative (could be an amateur)
- Professionals finishing top three and tied from current year's South Florida Senior Open
- Professionals qualifying for the current year's PGA Senior Championship
- Professionals qualifying for the current year's US Senior Open Championship
- Top three and tied from last year's Dixie, NFPGA and SFPGA Section Senior (regular division) Championship
- Top five and tied from last year's the final Dixie, NFPGA and SFPGA Section Senior Player of the Year Points List
- Current year's NFPGA Senior Match Play Champion
- Last five year's Florida Senior Open Champions
- Amateurs finishing top ten and tied from last year's Florida Senior Open
- Low Amateur from last year's Florida Senior Open
- Last two year's Senior Amateur Champions
- Current year's Senior Amateur Match Play Champion
- Amateurs finishing top three and tied from current year's South Florida Senior Open
- Low Amateur from current year's South Florida Senior Open
- Players finishing top five and tied from current year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Top five and tied from the last year's final FSGA Senior Player of the Year Points List
- Amateurs qualifying for the current year's US Senior Open Championship
- Amateurs qualifying for last year's US Senior Amateur Championship
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next five Florida Senior Open Championships
Amateurs finishing in the top ten and tied
- Next year's Florida Senior Open Championship
- Next year's Florida Senior Open Championship
Antigua Golf is a proud sponsor of the Florida Senior Open Championship. All competitors will receive an Antigua golf shirt at the Championship.
Click here to learn how alternates can gain entry into the Championship.
Please click the View Hotels tab in the Tournament Links section for hotels in the Orlando area
- Proper attire for competitors and caddies is required at all times at the golf facility. Failure to comply may result in withdrawal of entry.
- Golf Shorts are permitted
- All hats must be worn properly.
- Collared shirts or shirts specifically designed for golf must be worn and tucked in at all times.
- This code supplements any course or club guidelines, which shall take precedence.
Refunds, Notice of Withdrawals
Requests for entry refunds received prior to entry closing date will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). Requests received after the closing date will be honored (less 50% of entry fee). No requests will be honored within 48 hours of the first scheduled tee time. Requests for refunds or Exempt or Championship fees prior to the pre-registration deadline will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). No requests will be honored after the pre-registration deadline.
Publicity and Promotion; Broadcasting
By participating in The Florida Senior Open you grant the FSGA/SFPGA and those acting with the FSGA/SFPGA, permission, authority and the permanent rights to use your name or likeness for publicity and promotional purposes. Participants understand that all Media, including film, photographic prints, audio or digital files are the exclusive property of the FSGA/SFPGA. Participants in FSGA/SFPGA events waive their rights to inspect or approve all media produced by the FSGA/SFPGA and those acting on the FSGA's behalf. Participants waive their permanent rights to compensation for use of their name and likeness by the FSGA/SFPGA.
Method of Payments
Interlachen Country Club and Shingle Creek Golf Club accept cash, Visa/Mastercard and American Express for method of payment.
Interlachen Country Club
2245 Interlachen Court
Winter Park, FL 32792
Click here for directions to Interlachen Country Club
Shingle Creek Golf Club
9939 Universal Boulevard
Orlando, FL 32819
Click here for directions to Shingle Creek Golf Club