Women's Mid-Amateur Championship
May 4-5, 2019
ESTERO, Fla. – For the fifth time in the past seven years, it was Meghan Stasi who raised the trophy at the Women's Mid-Amateur Championship on Sunday. With nine players within five shots of the lead at the start of the round, Stasi captured the two-stroke victory with a 3-over 147 at West Bay Golf Club in Estero.
Stasi began the day in a tie for fifth place, three stroke back of the leader. She started the round off the round strong with back-to-back birdies on the second and third holes. Stasi posted a 1-under for the front nine.
After a double bogey on the 16th hole, the Fort Lauderdale native carded a pair of key birdies on the 17th and 18th to secure the win. She recorded a final-round 1-under 71, the only under-par round of the championship.
Ina Kim and Tara Joy-Connelly finished in a tie for second place at 5-over 149. Kim, who held the first-round lead, struggled in the final round, but posted an eagle on the par-5 17th hole to take a share of second place. She recorded a final-round 3-over 76.
Joy-Connelly began the final round with three-straight birdies. She finished the front nine at 2-over, after two double bogeys. The Vero Beach resident closed out the championship with an even-par back nine, posting a 2-over 73 in the final round.
Kelli Pry took home a fourth place finish at 10-over 154, while Kim Benedict finished in fifth place at 11-over 155.
1 Meghan Stasi +3 (147)
T2 Ina Kim +5 (149)
T2 Tara Joy-Connelly +5 (149)
4 Kelli Pry +10 (154)
5 Kim Benedict +11 (155)
Follow the FSGA:
The women’s schedule will continue with the Women's Shoot-Out on May 18-19 at Piper's Landing Yacht & Country Club in Palm City.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Championship||5,877 yds 73.9/133|
|Middle||5,291 yds 70.8/126|
|Forward||4,845 yds 68.1/120|
$80 (Promoting Women's Golf Discount - Mid-Amateurs from 25 to 39 years of age based on first day of the championship - see discussion below)
Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf, tee gift, a player luncheon after the final round on Sunday, and gift certificate prizes. Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Promoting Women's Golf - Discounted Entry Fee - In an effort to attract younger women back to competitive golf, the FSGA is reducing the entry fee for this event for women between the ages of 25 and 39 years old as of the first day of the competition. Women's mid-amateur golf faces a crisis and declining levels of participation. Reduced participation by women who leave the game after college also results in fewer future junior players being introduced to the game by their families. The FSGA is dedicated to making every possible effort to provide competitive golf that is accessible to women of all ages, including the early mid-amateurs who often face the most obstacles related to time and finances. The full entry price to this event for women over 39 is the SAME as in prior years and we hope all players will support this initiative to promote golf to all women. Please join us in spreading the word so that more women will join us at the championship and return to playing competitive golf on a regular basis.
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- Three Divisions - Championship, Middle and Forward
- The Overall Champion will be the individual from the Championship Division with the lowest 36-hole total score
- Female amateur golfer
- At least 25 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- A valid Florida GHIN Handicap Index not exceeding 34.0
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 84 players
Schedule of Events
Saturday, May 4th
- 7:30 - 9:30 AM - Tournament Registration (located near pro-shop)
- 8:00 - 9:57 AM - Round One tee times off #1 & #10 tees
Sunday, May 5th
- 9:00 - Final Round shotgun
- 12:30 - 2:00 PM (approx.) - Player's Awards Luncheon - Included with entry fee
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
Divisions and Approximate Yardages
Players must select their division at the time of entry. A player may not switch divisions once pairings are posted.
- Championship Division - 5,800-6,000 yards approx. (Gross Only)
- Middle Division - 5,300-5,500 yards approx. (Gross & Net)
- Forward Division - 4,800-5,000 yards approx. (Gross & Net)
Suggested Handicap Guidelines
The following should be considered when selecting divisions:
- Championship Division - 10.0 and Under
- Middle Division - 11.0-18.0
- Forward Division - 19.0 and Over
Committee Discretion: The Championship Committee reserves the right to move any player out of the Forward Division if their handicap is significantly lower than the majority of the competitors in that division, and their scoring history does not reflect the need to play from the Forward Division yardage.
- All valid Florida GHIN Handicap Indexes used will be from the April 15, 2019 revision.
- Each player must have a valid Florida GHIN Handicap Index not exceeding 34.0.
- Players in the Middle and Forward Divisions will play to 100% of their course handicap.
It is the responsibility of any player that maintains a Handicap Index lower than her current Florida GHIN Handicap Index to inform the FSGA for resolution. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
The Championship Division is gross only and will not be flighted.
The Middle and Forward Divisions will be pre-flighted based on individual handicaps.
Generally, divisions of more than 14 individuals will be flighted, however the Committee reserves the right to flight based on the number of individuals and/or the range of individual handicaps or scores.
Championship Division - The overall Champion will be the individual with the lowest total score. In the event of a tie for first place, there will be a hole-by-hole sudden death play-off on a hole designated by the Committee to determine the Champion.
Other Divisions - All ties in each flight of the Middle and Forward Divisions will be broken by the USGA scorecard match. The last 9 holes will be considered holes 10-18, the last 6 holes will be holes 13-18, the last 3 holes will be holes 16-18 and the last hole will be hole 18. In the case that players are still tied after the 18th hole, the winner will be determined by lot.
Middle and Forward Divisions will pay gross first, then net.
Practice rounds are available after 12:00 PM on the Saturday and Sunday prior to the Championship. Practice rounds may be available during the week prior to the Championship. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call 239-948-3482 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Defending Mid-Amateur Champion
Kim Keyer-Scott found herself on top of the leader board for the second Championship in a row after an impressive two under-par 70 to take the lead by four strokes. Keyer-Scott started off strong with a birdie on her first hole, then continued on to bogey her second but quickly bounced back with birdies on holes four and five, making the turn at one-under with one final bogey. Starting off the back nine even stronger, Kim carded an eagle at the tenth and continued on steady with seven straight pars and a bogey finish to miss firing a 69.
There must be something in the water in Bonita Springs. Just weeks after holding the over night lead in the Women's Senior Amateur, Keyer-Scott had set herself up for another successful weekend at the Mid-Amateur. Sunday's final round started similar to her first, with a birdie on the first hole, a bogey on the second and a 35 to make the turn. The back nine proved to be a bit more challenging as Keyer-Scott carded two bogeys and seven pars to finish with a solid 73.
- Spectator and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player’s clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Courtyard by Marriott
10050 Gulf Center Dr.
Fort Myers, FL 33913
Residence Inn by Marriott
10054 Gulf Center Dr.
Fort Myers, FL 33913
Click here to view booking information
West Bay Golf Club only accepts Visa/MasterCard, Amex, and Discover Card
Directions - West Bay Golf Club
4606 West Bay Boulevard
Estero, FL 33928