Senior Amateur Match Play Championship
June 13-16, 2021
ORLANDO, Fla. – Steve Riviere prevailed through stormy weather and tough competition to be crowned the Senior Amateur Match Play champion at Orange Tree Golf Club.
Stormy weather and several suspensions tested the players with three long days at Orange Tree Golf Club. Steve Riviere prevailed through the clouds to be crowned Senior Amateur Match Play champion after defeating David Anthony, 3 & 1, in the final match.
After 36-holes of stroke play seeding, Riviere, of Sorrento, claimed the number six seed heading into match play. Riviere was vying to claim his first individual FSGA Championship win, after winning back-to-back Foursomes Championships with Rick Cloninger in 2018 and 2019. Defeating tough competition, Riviere advanced to the Semifinals where he faced number seven seed, Paul Royak. A 3 &2 win led Riviere to the Final match, going head-to-head against David Anthony.
David Anthony, of Jacksonville, started the Round of 32 as the 21st seed and prevailed to the Semifinals to face the number one seed, Pete Williams. Anthony continued his winning streak and earned a 1-up victory over Williams to advance to the Final match. With three holes left to play, inclement weather suspended the Final match. The delay did not end Riviere’s momentum and he prevailed to a 3&1 victory over Anthony. Riviere hoisted the Senior Match Play trophy and claimed his first individual FSGA Championship win.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Senior||6,520 yds 72.4/139|
|2:12 delay, then hot||86 °F|
The Senior Amateur Match Play is a great chance for seniors in Florida to compete in a state Championship with two rounds of stroke play qualifying and 32 players advancing to match play!
Format: 36 holes of individual gross stroke play, followed by match play
Eligibility: FSGA Adult Member at least 55 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN 10.0 or less
Entry Fee: $185
- 36 holes of individual stroke play to determine the 32 qualifiers for match play.
- Maximum Field Size - 88 players
- A tie for last qualifier's place will be decided immediately by a hole-by-hole play-off.
- For purposes of determining places in the draw, ties in qualifying rounds will be decided by a blind draw.
- In the event of a tied match, the stipulated round is deemed to extend to as many holes as are required for a match to be won.
- Male amateur golfer; at least 55 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be an Adult member of the FSGA, with a valid FL GHIN Handicap Index not exceeding 10.0
Entries are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until the field is full. Entries are then placed on an alternates list in order of receipt and contacted if, and when, a spot becomes available. Committee Reserves the right to modify the alternate list for past Champions and players in contention for spots on FL Cup or SE Challenge teams with on-time entries.
Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Schedule of Events
Sunday, June 13
Round one stroke play tee times will begin at 8:00 AM off #1 and #10 tees in foursomes.
Monday, June 14
Round two of stroke play. Players will be re-paired by score and tee times will begin at 8:30 AM Shotgun in foursomes
Following morning shotgun, all players will be provided a lunch buffet included with entry fee
If necessary, a playoff to determine the final match play seeds will commence immediately following stroke play.
Single elimination matches begin at 2:00 PM
Tuesday, June 15
- 8:00 AM - 8:56 AM - Round of 16 Matches
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM - Quarterfinal Matches
Wednesday, June 16
8:00 AM - 8:10 AM - Semifinal Matches
12:15 PM - Final Match
Course Set-Up & Age Divisions
The course will be set-up at approximately:
- 6,400 - 6,500 yards - Senior Ages 55 & Over
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship on a space available basis and after 12:00 PM the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call (407) 351-4034 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
Richard Kerper, of Oldsmar, defeated Rick Woulfe 6 & 4 in the final match to become the 2020 Senior Amateur Match Play Champion. Click here for the full results.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next three Senior Amateur Championships
- Next year's Florida Senior Open
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart. - Click here
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Cash and all major credit cards
Orange Tree Golf Club
7540 Woodgreen Drive
Orlando, FL 32819
Click here for directions.