Super-Senior Amateur Championship
April 2-4, 2019
WINTER HAVEN, Fla. – Terry Werner fired a 3-under 69 on Thursday to win the Super-Senior Amateur Championship at Country Club of Winter Haven. Werner claimed his first Florida State Golf Association Championship win with a 2-under 214.
The Fort Myers native broke the 54-hole Super-Senior record of 217, which was most recently recorded by Doug LaCrosse at the 2018 championship.
Heading into the final round, Werner sat at the top of the leaderboard with a three-stroke lead. He birdied three of the first four holes to start off the day, finishing the front nine at 2-under. After a bogey on the 10th hole, Werner went bogey free for the next eight holes.
Werner finished the event with an 8-stroke lead over the rest of the field, while his final-round 69 was the low round of the championship and one of only four under-par rounds of the championship.
Robert Cunningham took home second place with a 6-over 222. Cunningham shot a final-round 1-under 71, seven shots better than his second-round 78. Rick Woulfe finished the championship at 7-over 223 to secure third place, while Bill Barnes finished fourth at 9-over 225.
The 70-74 and 75 & Over Divisions wrapped up on Wednesday. Michael Bell won the 70-74 Division, carding an even-par 144, while Jim Brown was victorious in 75 & Over Division, posting a 3-over 147 for the event.
Follow the FSGA:
The FSGA men’s schedule will continue next week at the Senior Amateur Champion on April 9-11 at Southern Hills Plantation Club in Brooksville, Florida.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Championship Division||6,223 yds. 70.1/126|
|70-74 Age Division||6,031 yds. 69.8/126|
|75 & Over Age Division||5,626 yds. 67.9/121|
|Early Overcast, Noon Passing Shower, to Sunny & Breezy||78 °F|
|Mostly Sunny, Strong & Steady Breeze||77 °F|
Join us in a reunion of golfers 65 years of age and older competing in one of our most popular events. The Super-Senior Championship offers a competitive Championship environment for golfers in a stroke play scratch format with three different age divisions from three different sets of tees. Enjoy a player's dinner on the eve of the first round and lunch each day included in your entry fee. For a look at the 2018 Championship Results click here.
Championship Division (Open to any player age 65 & Over) - 54 holes of stroke play (includes players' dinner and three lunches)
- $265 GHIN or Foundation Member
- $275 Non-GHIN Member
70-74 Age Division / 75 & Over Age Division - 36 holes of stroke play (includes players' dinner and two lunches)
- $210 GHIN or Foundation Member
- $220 Non-GHIN Member
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field
- 54 holes of individual stroke play in the Championship Division (Age 65 & Over)
- 36 holes of individual stroke play in the 70-74 and 75 & Over Age Divisions
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 156 players
- Male amateur golfer
- At least 65 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
Course Set-Up & Age Divisions
At time of entry, players must select which division in which to play. A player of any age may select the 65 & Over division and must play from the longer tees. Otherwise, players are required to play in the age division commensurate with their age as of the first day of the Championship.
Players may not play in multiple age divisions. The golf course will be set-up at approximately:
- Championship Ages 65 & Over (54 holes): 6,200-6,400 yards
- Ages 70-74 (36 holes): 5,900-6,100 yards
- Ages 75 & Over (36 holes): 5,500-5,700 yards
Schedule of Events
Monday, April 1st
- Practice rounds
- 6:00 PM - Cash bar at The Country Club of Winter Haven
- 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM - Complimentary Players' Dinner
- Golf attire is acceptable
- Guests may attend for $25
Tuesday, April 2nd
- Morning Wave (65 & Over) - Round one tee times begin at 8:00 AM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Afternoon Wave (70-74) and (75 & Over) - Round one tee times begin at 12:30 PM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Complimentary players' lunch
Wednesday, April 3rd
- Morning Wave (70-74) and (75 & Over) - Round two tee times begin at 8:00 AM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Awards ceremony for 70-74 and 75 & Over age divisions immediately following the completion of play
- Afternoon Wave (65 & Over) - Round two tee times begin at 12:30 PM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Complimentary players' lunch
Thursday April 4th
- Shotgun start at 8:30 AM
- Awards ceremony for Championship Division immediately following the completion of play
- Complimentary players' lunch
Practice rounds are available one week leading up to the Championship on a space available basis.The price for a practice round is $35 plus tax. Please call 863-324-6666 to arrange your practice round.
Doug LaCrosse, of Tampa, posted 75-70-72--217 at Buckhorn Springs Golf & Country Club to win the 65-69 Age Division. The 70-74 Age Division was taken by Jim Mason, of Freeport, who shot 73-76-149. Capturing the 75 & Over Age Division was Edward Craig Jr., of Orlando. Edward shot a 74-72-146, to capture the title. Results
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship (Championship Division)
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
The Country Club of Winter Haven accepts cash and all major credit cards as forms of payment.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
No Host Hotel - There are multiple options in the Winter Haven / Southeastern Orlando Area.
Directions to The Country Club of Winter Haven
4200 Country Club Road South
Winter Haven, Florida 33881