Super-Senior Amateur Championship
April 3-5, 2018
Buckhorn Springs Golf and Country Club, located in Valrico, was in pristine condition to serve as a great test for the Super-Senior Championship. Red numbers led the 65 & Over and 70-74 age divisions after round one. The 65 & Over age division plays 54 holes of stroke play to determine the Champion while the 70-74 and 75 & Over age divisions would crown the Champion after 36 holes.
The 65 & Over division got off to a roaring start, with two players finishing round one under par. Bobby Lundquist, of Sanford, shot a first round 69 to take the lead by two strokes over Bruce Scamehorn, of Winter Haven, who fired a one-under 71. A host of players sat a few strokes behind Lundquist and Scamehorn, one of which was 2013 Senior Player of the Year, Doug LaCrosse. LaCrosse is a staple on the Senior circuit, posting Top Ten finishes in all but one tournament so far this year. After the second day of the Championship, LaCrosse was in solo fourth place, sitting just two shots back of the leader Bobby Lundquist. With a lot of past Championship experience, LaCrosse teed off on the final day of the Championship with one goal in mind; to win. He would go on a birdie/bogey stretch on holes two through six to find himself at one over-par coming into the ninth hole. He would go on to birdie nine, posting a front-nine score of 36. After making pars on the first four holes of the back nine, LaCrosse birdied the par five 14th hole, only to make bogey on the following hole. He would finish with three straight pars to shoot a final round 72, and claim his first Super-Senior Championship title. Donald Staton, of Boca Raton, finished in second place, one stroke behind LaCrosse. First and second round leader Bobby Lundquist finished third after a final round 77.
In the 70-74 age division, Jack Heinemann, of Green Cove Springs, carded five birdies in his first round to seize the lead with a one under-par 71. Three players finished tied for second place with a 73 including, Randy Briggs, Jack Ramsey, and Jim Mason. Heinemann began his second round vying for his first FSGA Championship win but fell to a tied for seventh finish after a second round 84. Meanwhile, Jim Mason broke from his tie for second place to capture first place by one stroke. Mason, of Freeport, had one birdie in the final round en route to card a 76 and 149 (+5) total. Randy Briggs remained tied for second with Pat Vincelli and Paul Nunez at 150 total. Mason has won several one-day events but has now earned his first FSGA Championship victory.
Edward Craig birdied his 17th hole to take the lead by one stroke over defending Champion, Jim Pfrogner, after round one. Craig, of Orlando, posted a first round 74 while Pfrogner sat one stroke back with a 75. Brian Sachs and Phil Leckey finished in third and fourth place respectively with rounds of 76 and 77. Craig, who won the 70-74 age division in 2016, was ready to take his crown back from Pfrogner in the final round. Scoring the lowest round of the division, Craig achieved a wire-to-wire victory with an impressive second round even par score and 146 (+2) total. Craig carded three birdies in the first four holes to jump start his final round and add a second Super-Senior victory to his resume. Pfrogner remained in second place, five strokes behind, with a 151 (+7) total.
Full Results | Preview
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|65 & Over Championship||6,256 yds. 70.1/128|
|70-74 Division||5,993 yds. 69.0/125|
|75 & Over Division||5,713 yds. 67.7/118|
|Light Breeze||84 °F|
|Perfect Conditions||85 °F|
Join us in a reunion of golfers 65 years of age and older competing in one of our most popular events. The Super-Senior Championship offers a competitive Championship environment for golfers in a stroke play scratch format with three different age divisions from three different sets of tees. Enjoy a player's dinner on the eve of the first round and lunch each day included in your entry fee. For a look at the 2017 Championship Results click here.
- 54 holes of individual stroke play in the Championship Division (Age 65 & Over)
- 36 holes of individual stroke play in the 70-74 and 75 & Over Age Divisions
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 144 players
- Male amateur golfer
- At least 65 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
Championship Division (Open to any player age 65 & Over) - 54 holes of stroke play (includes players' dinner and three lunches)
- $265 GHIN or Foundation Member
- $275 Non-GHIN Member
70-74 Age Division / 75 & Over Age Division - 36 holes of stroke play (includes players' dinner and two lunches)
- $210 GHIN or Foundation Member
- $220 Non-GHIN Member
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field
Course Set-Up & Age Divisions
New for 2018
At time of entry, players must select which division in which to play. A player of any age may select the 65 & Over division and must play from the longer tees. Otherwise, players are required to play in the age division commensurate with their age as of the first day of the Championship.
Players may not play in multiple age divisions. The golf course will be set-up at approximately:
- Championship Ages 65 & Over (54 holes): 6,200-6,400 yards
- Ages 70-74 (36 holes): 5,900-6,100 yards
- Ages 75 & Over (36 holes): 5,500-5,700 yards
Schedule of Events
Monday, April 2nd
- Practice rounds
- 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM - Cash bar at Buckhorn Springs Golf & Country Club
- 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM - Complimentary Players' Dinner
- Golf attire is acceptable
- Guests may attend for $20
Tuesday, April 3rd
- Morning Wave (65 & Over) - Round one tee times begin at 8:00 AM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Afternoon Wave (70-74) and (75 & Over) - Round one tee times begin at 12:30 PM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Complimentary players' lunch
Wednesday, April 4th
- Morning Wave (70-74) and (75 & Over) - Round two tee times begin at 8:00 AM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Awards ceremony for 70-74 and 75 & Over age divisions immediately following the completion of play
- Afternoon Wave (65 & Over) - Round two tee times begin at 12:30 PM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Complimentary players' lunch
Thursday, April 5th
- Shotgun start at 8:30 AM
- Awards ceremony for Championship Division immediately following the completion of play
- Complimentary players' lunch
Practice rounds are available one week leading up to the Championship on a space available basis.The price for a practice round is $35 plus tax. Please call 813-689-7766 to arrange your practice round.
Michael Bell, of Sarasota, posted 72-76-72--220 at Mission Inn Resort's El Campeon course to win the 65-69 Age Division. The 70-74 Age Division was taken by Earl Daniell, of Tallahassee, who shot 76-74-150. Capturing the 75 & Over Age Division was Jim Pfronger, of Sarasota. Jim shot a 75-79-154, to capture the title. Results
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship (Championship Division)
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Buckhorn Springs Golf & Country Club accepts cash, Visa and MasterCard as payment.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa Brandon
10220 Palm River Road
Tampa, FL 33619
$139 per room, per night, plus tax. Click here to book online, or call 813-653-1905 asking for the FSGA Room Block. Must reserve by March 12th.
Directions to Buckhorn Springs Golf & Country Club
Buckhorn Springs Golf & Country Club
2721 South Miller Road
Valrico, Florida 33596