Via Mizner G & CC (13-15)
August 16-17, 2014
Cunningham & Leiner Victorious at Via Mizner
A wet week in Boca Raton could not prevent the juniors from a weekend of full golf at Via Mizner Golf & Country Club.
On Saturday, 5 boys would fight through over a two hour lightning delay, forcing play until dark, and fire even par (70). Andrew Kozan, Adrien Pendaries, Chris Nido, Justin Zwiebel and Alejandro Restrepo would sit on the overnight lead, with a large contingent within striking distance.
Starting Sunday four groups behind the leaders and three strokes behind the leaders, Jeffrey Cunningham would jump out to a hot start. Birdies on 2, 5, 6 & 8 would send him out in 31 (-4). A pair of birdies on 13 & 17, with only one bogey on the back-nine would bring Cunningham in at 65 & and 138 (-2) 36-hole total and the clubhouse lead. Behind Cunningham, the overnight leaders would falter, Andrew Kozan would come the closest, posting five birdies (1, 2, 7, 15 & 16) but a double-bogey on 13 would prove to be costly as he would finish one stroke back (70-69--139). This was Cunningham's second FJT victory of 2014, after opening the season with a win at Belleair in January.
In the girls division, Emma Bradley, of Naples would jump out to a 5-stroke lead on Saturday. Emma was in search of her first Florida Junior Tour Victory since 2012 at Worthington CC.
However, Sunday would belong to Hannah Leiner, of Pompano Beach. Playing just minutes from home, Leiner would start hot out of the gate, birdieing 10 & 11. Through 9 holes, Bradley still held a three stroke cushion. However, three bogeys in the first six holes on her back nine would prove to be costly as Leiner would come in in 34 (-1) to post (74-69--142) good enough for a one stroke victory over Bradley. This was Hannah's second FJT victory, winning Bear Lakes in June. Her season has also seen her finish T3 in the Women's Stroke Play Championship and a member of the victorious Gold Coast Junior Golf Foundation 13-15 Girls Team at the FSGA Junior Team Championship.
The next Florida Junior Tour (13-15) event will head to Carrollwood Country Club in the heart of Tampa, September 6-7.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 13-15||6,222 yds., 69.2/131|
|Girls 13-15||5,546 yds., 70.7/130|
|Afternoon Thunderstorms||93 °F|
|Hot & Humid||91 °F|
Entries Open: Wednesday, June 25th
Entry Deadline: Wednesday, July 9th
13-15 Age Division (age calculated on the last day of the tournament)
$95 or $115 entry fee (GHIN vs non-GHIN price)
Membership is required
The Florida Junior Tour returns to Via Mizner Golf & Country Club this August. Located in Southeast Florida, Via Mizner is always a favorite among the juniors. An intriguing layout, forces the golfer to strategically maneuver from tee to green. Last year, the 16-18 year old division made the trip to Via Mizner and the winners posted low numbers. The 13-15 year old division makes the trip this year with similar goals in mind.
Click here to view the club's website.
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- 84 total players (typically 66 boys and 18 girls)
- 13-15 age division (age calculate by the last day of the tournament)
Divisions and Approximate Yardages
- Boys 13-15 Age Division - 6,500 yards (gross only)
- Girls 13-15 Age Division - 5,700 yards (gross only)
How Entries are Accepted
- Players with an unused FJT exemption will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis (if submitted before the entry deadline).
- Players without an FJT exemption - all other entries are held until the entry closing date. Shortly after the closing date, a computer-generated random draw is performed to determine which entries are accepted, and the order of the alternates. All players are notified of their status after the random draw is conducted.
- An alternates list will be posted to the FJT website under "Tee Times & Player Information".
- Entries submitted after the entry deadline will be added to the bottom of the alternates list or used to fill any openings in the field.
Click here for more details.
How to Enter
Entries must be submitted through the FSGA website. To enter, each player must have an account on this website (free to setup), and a current FJT Junior Membership ($40). Click "Enter" above in the Tournament Links box.
The entry fee of $95 (for GHIN handicap members) or $115 (non-GHIN handicap members) includes tournament rounds, range balls prior to tournament rounds, crystal trophies for the top three finishers, and a tee gift.
To receive the GHIN handicap price, the player, or one of the player's parents must have an active GHIN handicap at a club in Florida. The seven digit GHIN number must be included and active when the entry is submitted. Click on the Handicaps tab above in the main menu for more information.
Late Fee: A late fee of $10 will applied to entries received after the entry deadline. The entry fee and late fee will only be charged if the player gets accepted into the tournament field.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, August 16th
10:00 AM - 1:30 PM - Tournament Registration (near pro shop)
12:00 PM - 1:57 PM - Round one tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Sunday, August 17th
7:45 AM - 9:42 AM - Final round tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament on a space-available basis. Times times are only available after 12:00 noon the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call 561-392-7990 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course, not filling divots, and not repairing ball marks are unacceptable and may cause removal from the tournament without a refund.
Players are not allowed to drive golf carts (must be 18 years old to drive a cart).
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Winner receives 2 performance stars
- Winner receives 2 performance stars
- Ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard
- Walking - players must walk during tournament rounds
- Spectators & Carts - Spectators are allowed. Spectators carts are available first-come, first-served at $25 + tax per day, per cart. Click here
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed
- Range Finders (Electronic Measuring Devices) - are allowed (see Local Rules link below)
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this tournament.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The
decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Hotel & Accommodations
A host has not been arranged at this time. There are several hotels in the Boca Raton area. Use the "Hotels" link above in the Tournament Links box or search on the internet. Please note the cancellation policies before making any reservations.
Via Mizner Golf & Country Club
6200 Boca Del Mar Dr.
Boca Raton, FL 33433
Click for Map