August 24-26, 2018
The top mid-senior players teed it up, at the Walt Disney World – Palm Course and Reunion Resort – Watson Course, ready to determine who would be crowned the 49th Mid-Senior Champion. Nihil DeSai, of Winter Park, held onto the early lead after two rounds of golf. DeSai shot an impressive 63 on the Palm Course in round one and a 71 on the Watson Course day two to lead by one stroke at ten under-par (134). Tough competitor, Miles McConnell, is chasing close behind after rounds of 65-70—135. Coming off of earning low amateur honors at the Florida Senior Open, McConnell, of Tampa, is vying for his first FSGA Championship win. Two players tied at third place, two strokes behind, including Daniel Debra and Brian Armstrong.
After playing one round on both the Palm Course and Watson Course, the field was cut at eight over-par, 152. 68 players will head to the Palm Course for the final round. Defending Champion, RJ Nakashian, sits tied for ninth at two under-par. There were 14 players posting a two-round total in red numbers. DeSai will be facing tough competition to earn his first FSGA Championship victory!
The final round, played on Disney’s Palm Course, saw some impressive red numbers and a change at the top of the leaderboard. Miles McConnell started the final round the same way as the previous two rounds, with a birdie on the first hole. After carding six additional birdies, McConnell seized the lead with a 14 under-par 202 final. Past FSGA Champion and Senior Player of the Year, Pete Williams, moved up the leaderboard each round. Tying the tournament low round of 63 in the final round, Williams, of Juno Beach, claimed second place, one stroke behind, at 203 (-13). Daniel Debra, of Lutz, showed the meaning of consistency with three rounds of 68 to finish in third place at 204 (-12). Nikhil DeSai fell to fourth place after two final rounds of 71 for an 11 under-par 205 total. There were 15 players with an under-par total and one stroke separated the top four finishers. McConnell earned his first FSGA Championship victory by one stroke with three rounds under-par!
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Disney - Palm Course||6,603 yds. 72.9/129|
|Reunion - Watson Course||6,562 yds. 72.3/132|
The Mid-Senior Championship provides players 40 years and older a Championship environment without having to compete with juniors and collegiate players. Competitors can use the Championship for either a road trip with the guys or a weekend away with a spouse. For a look at the 2016 Championship Results click here (2017 was cancelled due to rain).
- 54 holes of individual stroke play (gross, no handicaps will be used)
- All players play eighteen holes each on the Palm Course & Reunion Resort - Watson Course on Friday and Saturday
- The field will be cut to the low 60 and ties after 36 holes
- The final eighteen holes will be played on the Palm Course at Walt Disney
- The lowest score for fifty-four holes will be the Champion
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 156 players
- Male amateur golfer
- At least 40 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
- $190 GHIN Members or Foundation Member
- $200 Non-GHIN Members
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
Schedule of Events
Friday, August 24th
- 7:30 AM - 9:18 AM - Round One tee times off of #1 & #10 (Palm Course & Reunion Watson)
Saturday, August 25th
- 7:30 AM - 9:18 AM - Round Two tee times off of #1 & #10 (Palm Course & Reunion Watson)
- After the completion of play the field will be cut to the low 60 players and ties
Sunday, August 26th
- 7:30 AM - Final Round tee times begin off of #1 and #10 (Palm Course)
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
The golf courses will be set-up at approximately 6,600 - 6,800 yards.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
Practice Rounds and Practice Between Rounds
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship.
Disney - after 12:00 PM all days
Reunion - anytime Monday-Friday and after 12 Noon on the weekend prior
The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call 407-939-4653 - Disney and 407-396-3196 - Reunion to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
The Championship Committee is permitting practice on any competition course or part of any course on any day of or between rounds of the Championship. As a result, competitors are allowed to play a practice round on the course remaining to be played after the first round.
R J Nakashian of Palm Beach Gardens, shot 71-72-72--214 (-1) to win the 2016 Mid-Senior Championship at Mission Inn Resort in Howey-In-The-Hills. He edged out his good friend Stephen Anderson, who was the defending champion, by one stroke. Nakashian also won the 2014 championship.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Next year's Amateur Championship
- Next year's Amateur Match Play Championship
Top thirty and tied finishers
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Due to the number, personal preference, vacation clubs and popularity of hotels in the Orlando area, there is no host hotel for this event.
Disney and Reunion accepts Cash or Visa/MasterCard for method of payment.
From the West or East on I-4; go on I-4 and take Exit 67 (Epcot Center Drive) and follow World Drive. Go toward Magic Kingdom on World Drive and go through the entrance plaza. Bear right after you go through the entrance plaza and turn left at the traffic light on to Seven Seas Drive (follow the signs to Shade of Green or the Magnolia/Palm Golf Courses - they are located at the same place) and take Floridian Way (pass the parking lots on your left). Turn right on to Floridian Way and then take a left on to Magnolia/Palm Drive and the clubhouse, parking lot and course will be on your right.
Reunion Resort's Watson Course
Click here for directions to Reunion Resort's Watson Courses
7593 Gathering Drive
Kissimmee, Florida 34747