Amateur Public Links Championship
June 8-10, 2018
The Public Links Championship was contested at Southern Dunes Golf and Country Club over the weekend. Eighty-four players consisting of some junior golfers, college players, and mid-amateurs played 54-holes of stroke play. To be eligible for the Public Links players must not have privileges at a private club.
Carlos Marrero, a member of the University of West Florida golf team who is from Delray Beach, took an early three shot lead after the first round with a 66 (-6). He made seven birdies and just one bogey in the first round.
Ricky Hendler, a member of the Florida Atlantic University golf team who is from Holmes Beach, fired a 67 (-5) in the second round to close Marrero's lead to two shots. Hendler bogied the first hole, but then made six birdies to post the low round of the second round. Marrero posted a 70 after a little struggle on the back nine.
Marrero dominated the front nine all week and the final round was no different. Marrero's totals on the front for the tournament were 32-33-32, which is a combined eleven under par! He took a five shot lead in to the final nine holes, but after a double bogey on 10 and a bogey on 11, 14 and 15 his lead diminished to just one shot. Hendler had a 12 foot putt on the final hole to force a playoff which did not find the hole. Marrero saved par on 18 for a one shot victory and his first state championship.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Public Links||6,977 yds., 74.1/136|
|Sunny and humid with light winds||86 °F|
**Mandatory** read the eligibility Questions below prior to entering to verify you are eligible.
The Amateur Public Links Championship, at Southern Dunes Golf & Country Club located just south of Orlando, is a weekend packed with great competition between a list of very successful Champions. Although the competition is fierce, the format is as simple as it gets - 54 holes of stroke play with no cut. For a look at the 2017 Championship results click here.
- 54 holes of individual gross stroke play (no handicaps)
Championship Field Size
Maximum of 84 players
- Male amateur golfer
- A valid USGA Handicap Index not exceeding 6.4
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
Male amateurs must be bona fide public course players, since January 1, 2018, and have not held privileges at any course that does not extend playing privileges to the general public, or privileges at any private club maintaining its own course.
A bona fide public course player may hold incidental privileges at a course not open to the public when such privileges are provided by: an educational institution at which he/she attends, a federal armed service at which he/she is a member, or an industry by which he/she is employed.
If you answer "Yes" to any of the following questions, you are NOT ELIGIBLE for this year's FSGA Public Links Championship:
1. Private Club Access - Have you had privileges at a private club (not open to the public) at anytime during the current year (since January 1st)?
2. Social Memberships - Do you maintain a social membership at a private club that allows you to play the course sometime during the year?
3. Dependents of Members - Does your spouse or parent/guardian belong to a private course and as a result you are allowed to play the course without a guest fee?
4. Golf Course Employees - Have you been an employee of a private course during the year, where you are allowed to play golf more than one day per week?
5. Resort Courses - Do you have a membership at a resort that restricts which days resort guests can play?
6. Golf Team Members - As a member of a scholastic golf team, are you allowed to play a private course not owned by the school at times other than your regular golf season including playoffs and championships?
- Military Courses - A player, because of his military service may hold privileges at a facility from which the general public is excluded.
- County and City Courses - A player may be a member at a course open to county or city residents even if it is closed to nonresidents.
- Handicap - There is no restriction where a player maintains his handicap.
Players must be a member of the FSGA.
- $225 Active FSGA/GHIN handicap or Foundation Member
- $235 Non-GHIN Member
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in
the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
- The course will be set-up at approximately 6,800-7,000 yards
Schedule of Events
Friday, June 8th
- 7:15 AM - 9:12 AM - Round one tee times off #1 and #10 tees
Saturday, June 9th
- 7:15 AM - 9:12 AM - Round two tee times off #1 and #10 tees
Sunday, June 10th
- 7:15 AM - 9:12 AM - Final round tee times off #1 and #10 tees
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on the weekend. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call 863-421-4653 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Scott Turner, of Stuart, out shined the field of 67 players to capture the 20th Amateur Public Links at Abacoa Golf Club in Jupiter. Turner posted three impressive and consistent rounds of 68 to win by eight strokes with a 204 (-12) tournament total.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Current year's Amateur Championship
- Current year's Amateur Match Play Championship
- Next year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Currently there is no host hotel for this event.
Southern Dunes Golf & Country Club accepts Cash, Visa, MasterCard, and Amex for method of payment.
Southern Dunes Golf & Country Club
2888 Southern Dunes Boulevard
Haines City, Florida 33844
Click here for directions