Winston Trails GC (16-18)
September 8-9, 2012
Mathison Celebrates Birthday; Feng Wins Nearly 30
Winston Trails Golf Club in Lake Worth was the site of this week's Florida Junior Tour 16-18 age division event. In the boys division, Peter Mathison dominated with renewed confidence while Yueer Feng cruised to another victory.
Peter Mathison, of Jupiter, recently changed swing instructors and entered the tournament with renewed confidence. He also celebrated his 16th birthday on Thursday while he prepared for the weekend's tournament. Mathison mastered the 6,707 yard course on Saturday with a bogey-free six under par 66 to take a three shot lead over Alex Lutz. In the final round, Mathison's new found confidence helped him hold the lead by posting 35-35-70 which was good enough for a four shot victory and his first FJT win. Finishing tied for second was Luis Gagne, of Orlando, and Jalen Ledger, of Palm Beach Gardens, with rounds of 71-69--140 and 70-70--140 respectively.
The girls division played the par 72 Winston Trails course at 5,948 yards. In the first round Yueer Feng shot 70 while Kaeli Jones was just one back at 71. In the final round the girls battled windy conditions and Feng, of Orlando, finished with nines of 37-36 for a one over par 73 and total of 143 (-1). Feng has played the Florida Junior Tour since 2007 and she is the most decorated player in the history of the FJT with nearly 30 wins.
Emma Albrecht, of Ormond Beach, finished alone in second place with rounds of 73-78--151. Radi Sauro, of Lake Worth, and Kaeli Jones, of Sumterville, finished tied for third place with rounds of 77-75--152 and 71-81--152 respectively.
Click here to view results and photos.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 16-18||6,707 Yds. 72.3 / 130|
|Girls 16-18||5,948 Yds. 73.0 / 126|
|Hot & Humid||94 °F|
|Winds 10-20 Mph||90 °F|
Entries Open - Wednesday, July 18th at 8:30 AM
Entries Close - Wednesday, August 1st at 4:30 PM
Winston Trails Golf Club in Lake Worth is a beautifully designed Joe Lee Championship course that provides one of the finest, upscale semi-private golf experiences in Palm Beach County. Playing to over 7000 yards from the Championship Tees, our facility provides lush manicured fairways with generous landing areas and perfectly conditioned Champion Bermuda Grass Putting Greens.
Click here to visit the club's website.
Pull/Push carts are NOT allowed at Winston Trails.
The entry fee of $95 (for GHIN handicap members) or $115 (non-GHIN handicap members) includes tournament rounds, range balls prior to tournament rounds, crystal trophies for the top three finishers, and a tee gift.
To receive the GHIN handicap price, the player, or one of the players' parents must have an active GHIN handicap at a club in Florida. The seven digit GHIN number must be submitted with the entry.
Schedule of Play
- Saturday, September 8th: 11:30 AM - 1:27 PM off the 1st and 10th tees
- Sunday, September 9th: 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM off the 1st and 10th tees
Players can set-up a practice round at a special discounted rate of $30 plus tax which includes a cart by calling 561-439-3700. Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament and after 12:00 PM the weekend before. Times are available on a space available basis.
During practice rounds, players are not allowed to play multiple shots off tees or into greens. The playing of multiple shots or slow play may result in the player's removal from the course without a refund.
Walking and Pull/Push Carts
Players must walk and carry their clubs during the competition rounds (pull/push carts are NOT permitted). Caddies are not permitted.
Tees To Play
Tees are not selected until the tournament staff arrives on site. Tournament set-up may change, including yardages, to offset inclement weather or other course conditions (i.e. wet course conditions). Typical yardages are below:
- Boys 16-18 will play approximately 6,700 yards
- Girls 16-18 will play approximately 5,800 yards
This event is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard.
AJGA - PBE (Performance Based Entrance)
- Champion - 4 Performance Stars
- Top 5 - 1 Performance Star
- Champion - 4 Performance Stars
- Top 3 - 1 Performance Star
Spectators will be authorized to rent carts, but must follow the Spectator policies. Spectator carts will cost $20 a day, plus tax. Spectator carts may be limited, and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Male or female amateur golfers that are members of the FJT may apply for entry. Entries are subject to rejection at any time, including during the event. The reason for rejection may include unbecoming behavior. Please see the Code of Conduct for further details.
- Tournament applications must be submitted through the website with valid payment. Telephone and fax requests will not be accepted.
- Applicants must have a current FSGA/FJT membership.
- Entries must be received by 4:30:00 PM EST of the closing date.
- Players should read the Tournament Policies and Pace of Play policy.
- Players will receive an e-mail that their entry has been received and a second e-mail will be sent if the player is accepted into the field. As a player is not automatically confirmed into the tournament, travel arrangements should not be made until the second confirmation e-mail is received. Review Tournament Policies for further details.
Field Determination Summary
- Players with an unused FJT exemption will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Players without an FJT exemption - all other entries are held until the entry closing date. Shortly after the closing date, a computer-generated, random draw is performed to determine which entries are accepted, and the order of the alternates. All players are notified of their status after the random draw is conducted,
- An alternates list will be posted to the FJT website under "Tee Times & Player Information".
Click here for further details.
Registration will be available prior to the first round. ALL players are expected to register. General tournament information will be distributed at registration.
Tee Times & Pairings
First round tee times and pairings will be available on the website. After the completion of the first round, all competitors will be repaired by score, within their age group, for their next round. Final round pairings will be available approximately one-hour after the final score has been posted. Pairings will be available on the website, at the club, and will be sent via text message. It is the player's responsibility to be at his/her respective starting tee at least 10 minutes prior to teeing off. We recommend that you always see your tee time in black and white (in print), and if you still have questions, please contact an FSGA Official at the host facility.
Range Finders - Electronic distance measuring devices are NOT allowed.
Music - Phones and other devices that play music should not be used at the tournament site. Listening to music during a competitive round will generally result in disqualification under the Rules of Golf. This is true for all types of competitions - not just FJT.
Pace of Play
The FJT uses a checkpoint pace of play policy that provides no verbal warnings throughout the round. Each group is responsible for playing under the allotted time or finishing each checkpoint hole within 15 minutes of the group ahead of them.
Pace of play will be strictly enforced with anticipated rounds to be less than 4 hours and 45 minutes. We strongly recommend that all players and parents read and understand the Pace of Play Policy.