Men's Interclub Team Championship
March 27-28, 2018
The 2018 Men's Interclub Team Championship was held March 27-28 at the esteemed Mission Inn Resort, in Howey-in-the-Hills. Nine teams made it through sectional and regional qualifying to be named Regional Champions, and earn a spot in the field of the Interclub Team Championship. At the end of the event, host club Mission Inn was left standing as the wire-to-wire Champion.
The State Championship was played over two days of impeccable golf weather. Mission Inn Resort played an excellent host to the nine teams that made their way to the club nestled in the central Florida hills. During Tuesdays first round, Mission Inn got off to a roaring start and never looked back. After Round One was completed, the team consisting of Houston Hill, Larry Glock, Terry Dinsmore, Randy Chaney, Dan Dowdall, Herm Arnold, Joe Lewandowski and Doug Herron, sat comfortably with an 15 point lead over Pelican's Nest Golf Club.
Day Two played much more difficult than the first day, with no teams reaching 190 points (On Day One, four teams finished with more than 190 points). Thanks to their large lead, Mission Inn was able to hang on to their lead and ultimately win the Championship after a less than stellar second day. Mission Inn accumulated 216 stableford points the first day, then only 175 stableford points on the second day. Their 391 point total was good enough to win by eight points over Tiger Point Golf & Country Club. River Strand Golf & Country Club, who finished with 381 points - ten points behind Mission Inn, finished third. The low round of the tournament went to Mission Inn team member Houston Hill, who shot a first round 68 to help give Mission Inn their large lead.
The 2018 Men's Interclub season began with 124 teams competing from all across the State. Nine Regional Championship teams listed below earned their spot at the State Championship held at the Mission Inn Resort.
Tampa Bay Region: Westchase Golf Club, Tampa
Suncoast Region: River Strand Golf & Country Club, Bradenton
West Region: Tampa Bay Golf & Country Club, Tampa
Naples 2 Region: Pelican's Nest Golf Club, Bonita Springs
Central Region: Mission Inn Resort & Club, Howey-in-the-Hills
Naples Region: The Club at Olde Cypress, Naples
Northeast Region: The Palencia Club, St. Augustine
Panhandle Region: Tiger Point Golf & Country Club, Gulf Breeze
Treasure Coast Region: Lacita Golf & Country Club, Titusville
In the State Championship, the six lowest individual net scores (highest net stableford points) per team count. The team with the highest number of points is crowned the Interclub State Champion. Net stableford points are as follows: Double Eagle: 5-points, Eagle: 4-points, Birdie: 3-points, Par: 2-points, Bogey: 1-point, Double Bogey or Higher: 0-points.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Las Colinas||6,215 yds. 70.2/124|
|El Campeón||6,201 yds. 70.1/131|
|20 MPH winds||75 °F|
|Beautiful day||77 °F|
The Interclub season includes a six week regular season, two rounds of playoffs, and a State Championship held on March 27-28. The Interclub Matches are a state-wide competition between clubs. Last year, 124 clubs throughout the state competed for the chance to be named Champion!
- 36 holes of net stableford stroke play - highest team stableford point total wins
- Net stableford points are allotted as follows: double eagle - 5 points, eagle - 4 points, birdie - 3 points, par - 2 points, bogey - 1 point, double bogey or higher - 0 points
- Teams that win their Region advance to the Championship
- 8 players per team play in each Championship round
- All players play to their lowest index (LI) for the previous 12 months
- Club must be an FSGA-GHIN member
- A valid Florida-GHIN handicap index not exceeding 18.4
- Entrants are not required to be a member of the FSGA
- Further eligibility answers can be found on the Interclub Rules of Play
$50 per team for the duration of the season. For regular season and playoff matches, there will be no green fees. However, a club may charge a "typical" cart fee which may not exceed $30 in any case. There is no additional fee for the Championship.
- Must have a Florida GHIN Handicap no higher than 18.4.
- All players will play to their lowest index (LI) for the previous 12 months
Schedule of Events
Tuesday, March 27th
- 8:00 AM - Round One shotgun start Las Colinas Course
Wednesday, March 28th
- 8:00 AM - Final Round shotgun start El Campeon Course
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
- Approximately 6,200 yards
Round One and Round Two: 8:00 AM shotgun start.
Practice Round and Practice Facility Information
Practice rounds available Sunday and Monday, March 25-26 on a space available basis at the rate of $40 plus tax. Mission Inn accepts cash, Visa and MasterCard. Please call 352-324-3932 to arrange your practice round.
Also, the Championship Committee is permitting practice on any competition course or part of any course on any day of or between rounds of the Championship. As a result, competitors are allowed to play a practice round on the course remaining to be played after the first round.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
The Country Club of Silver Springs Shores dominated the 2017 Interclub finals at Ocala National Golf Club. Silver Springs Shores posted the highest stableford score each day as they cruised past the other 8 regional champions with a two day total of 414 points.
- Spectators - Only players are allowed to ride in carts. Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Mission Inn is offering Deluxe accommodations for single or double occupancy at the rate of $160 per night plus $16 resort fee plus 11% state and local tax. Please call 1-800-874-9053 to reserve a room. A deposit of $195.36 will be required.
Method of Payments
Please mail a check for the $50 registration fee made payable to the FSGA to:
Florida State Golf Association
Attn: Men's Interclub
12630 Telecom Drive
Tampa, FL 33637
Click here for directions to Mission Inn Resort.