Senior Amateur Championship
April 12-14, 2016
Peter Wegmann, of Fort Lauderdale, prevailed with three solid rounds of golf to capture his first Senior Amateur Championship! Wegmann opened with a strong first round of four under-par, 68 to find himself tied for second place, one shot off the lead entering the second round. Day two marked Wegmann’s worst round but he did not fall far from the top of the leaderboard with one over-par, 73. He would start the final round tied for third with David Anthony at three under-par.
The final round started with Bob Mathers, of Niceville, in first place after two great rounds of 69-70 (-5), Sam Till in second place at four under-par, and David Anthony and Peter Wegmann tied for third. Mathers got off to a rough start during his third round and fell down the leaderboard to finish tied for fifth with Rick Woulfe, of Fort Lauderdale, at a one under-par 215 . Anthony, of Jacksonville, played a steady final round with only one bogey and two birdies to stay at three under-par to tie Till, of Bonita Springs, for second place. Sam Till, who had a hole-in-one during the first round, fired a one over-par final round to remain in second place. Sarasota resident and defending Champion, Gordon Marshall quietly moved up the leaderboard to finish fourth after carding his lowest round of the tournament, 69, for a two under-par 214 total.
Wegmann, a past Boys’ Junior Champion, started his final round with a one under-par first nine and never lost his momentum. Coming down the home stretch he fell to a bogey on the 17th hole to enter the last hole tied with Anthony and Till. Wegmann stood on the 18th tee and struck a long drive down the center of the fairway. Not losing focus, he spun his wedge shot into the green leaving it seven feet from the hole. Needing a birdie to win and a par for a playoff, Wegmann stated, “I knew where I stood all day and thought, just trickle it down there and get in the playoff." Trickle it down he did, right into the bottom of the cup for a birdie followed by a celebratory fist pump! Both Anthony and Till recorded pars for the hole. Being crowned the Senior Amateur Champion marks Wegmann’s first FSGA Championship victory. Reflecting on his win he stated, “I’ve really been wanting my name on this trophy since I was eligible!”
Since the number of entries received has always surpassed the capacity of the Championship, a qualifying stage was instituted in 2005. While 63 players earned exempt status through a variety of different means, over 300 participants attempted to qualify at one of six sites across the state, as competitors played 18 holes of stroke play hoping to advance to the Championship. Participants must be 55 or older to participate in the Championship.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Championship||6,636 yds., 73.1/137|
|Sunny with Gusting Winds||83 °F|
|Sunny & Warm||80 °F|
Not only is the 55th Senior Amateur Championship a great chance to reconnect with old friends, but it is also one of the FSGA's most popular and prestigious events. Join the state's top senior amateur golfers at Adena Golf & Country Club; an outstanding new course in Ocala. Enjoy a complimentary players' dinner on the evening before the first round as well as lunch after each round. For those not exempt into the championship field, six qualifiers are held around the state to determine the field. Click here for a look at the 2015 Championship Results.
- 54 holes of individual stroke play
- 144 player field
- Cut to the low 60 and ties after the second round
- Initial groupings will be for two days; the field will be cut and re-paired by score after the second round
- Round three tee times will start at 8:00 AM off of the 1st & 10th tees
- Male amateurs must be age 55 or older as of April 12, 2016, and be a member of the FSGA.
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee|| Exempt Fee
- Qualifying Fee: Qualifying Fee includes entry fee and cart fee.
- Championship Fee: Fee paid by those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying. Includes a players' dinner, tee gifts and gift certificates, course and cart fees, range balls, and lunch for each competitive round.
- Exempt Fee: Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption. As well as the players' dinner, tee gifts and gift certificates, course and cart fees, range balls, and lunch for each competitive round.
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the qualifying field.
Those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying must pre-register and remit an additional $245 online at the FSGA website at www.fsga.org. Fees include lunch after each of the competitive rounds and a Players' Dinner. Payment must be received by Tuesday, April 5 by 3:30 pm, or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship. Championship Fee includes cart fees for all competitive rounds.
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Refunds, Notice of Withdrawals
Requests for qualifying entry refunds received prior to entry closing date will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). Requests received after the closing date will be honored (less 50% of entry fee). No requests will be honored within two days of the scheduled start date.
Requests for refunds of Exempt or Championship fees prior to the pre-registration deadline will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). No requests will be honored after the pre-registration deadline.
Schedule of Events
Monday, April 11th
- 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM – Tournament Registration
- 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM – Players’ Dinner at Adena Golf & Country Club
Tuesday, April 12th
- Tournament Registration
- 8:00 AM - 9:39 AM - Round One morning tee times off #1 and #10
- Complimentary players' lunch buffet in the main clubhouse
- 12:30 PM - 2:09 PM - Round One afternoon tee times off #1 and #10
Wednesday, April 13th
- 8:00 AM - 9:39 AM - Round Two morning tee times off #1 and #10
- Complimentary players' lunch buffet in the main clubhouse
- 12:30 PM - 2:09 PM - Round Two afternoon tee times off #1 and #10
Thursday, April 14th
- 8:00 AM - Final Round tee times off #1 and #10
- Lunch available for purchase
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,500-6,600 yards.
18 holes of stroke play at 6 local sites. Cart fees are included in your qualifying fee.
Gordon Marshall, powered by a final round 67, was able to capture his first Senior Amateur Championship with a 6 stroke victory over second place finisher, Buddy Alexander. Marshall and Alexander were the lone red numbers over 54 holes as The Country Club of Naples proved to be a stern test.
Players in the following categories will be eligible for exemption provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements.
- Last ten year's Senior Amateur Champions
- Top 30 and tied from last year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Last three year's Senior Amateur Match Play Championship (55-64 Age Division) Champions
- Last year's Super-Senior Amateur Champion (65-69 Age Division)
- Player's finishing in the top ten and tied of last year's Florida Senior Open Championship
- Player finishing runner-up in last year's Senior Amateur Match Play Championship (55-64 Age Division)
- Top 10 and tied from last year's Senior Player of the Year final point standings
- Top 20 and tied from the Winter Series (55-64 Age Division) current points list as of the close of entries
- Top 3 and tied from the Winter Series (65 and Over Age Division) current points list as of the close of entries
- Winners of the current year's Winter Series season (55-64 Age Division) individual events
- Points Champion of previous year's Winter Series (55-64 Age Division Age Division) points list
- Points Champion of previous year's Winter Series (65 and Over Age Division) points list
- Players finishing in the top 30 and tied of last year's Mid-Senior Championship
- Players making match play at last year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Players qualifying for any one of last year's USGA National Championships
- Top 3 and tied from last year's Palm Beach County Golf Association Senior points list
- Last year's PBCGA Senior Amateur Champion
- Last year's PBCGA Tour Championship Senior
- Top 3 and tied from last year's Emerald Coast Senior Scratch Series (ECSSS) Open Division points list
- Last year's ECSSS Match Play Champion
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next ten Senior Amateur Championships
- Current year's Amateur Championship
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Next two Florida Senior Open Championships
Top five and tied finishers
- Current year's Florida Senior Open Championship
Top thirty and tied finishers
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship
Practice Round - Championship
Players are responsible for practice round cart fees at qualifying sites and at the Championship proper. Practice rounds are available on a space available basis one week prior to the Championship, and limited to after 12:00 PM on the weekend, at a rate of $35 plus tax. Please call (352) 368-1220 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Marriott Courtyard Ocala
3712 SW 38th Avenue
Ocala, FL 34474
$99 per room, per night plus tax please reference "FSGA Room Block" when calling, or click here to book online.
Adena Golf & Country Club accepts cash, Visa, MasterCard and American Express as methods of payment.
Directions to Adena Golf & Country Club
Adena Golf & Country Club
750 NE 70th St.
Ocala, FL 34475