Amateur Match Play Championship
August 1-4, 2013
Jorden Wins 23rd Amateur Match Play
Kevin Jorden defeated Philip Knowles in the final match to win the 23rd Florida State Amateur Match Play Championship at Timuquana Country Club in Jacksonville, on August 1-4.
In the finals, Kevin Jorden, of Juno Beach, secured the title beating Philip Knowles, of Bradenton, in 21 holes. After a back and forth battle through 11 holes on Sunday afternoon, Knowles took control of the match by winning holes 12 and 13 to take a commanding 2 up lead with five holes to play. After halving the 14th hole, Jorden swung the momentum his way by winning holes 15 and 16 to square the match. After Jorden’s 15 foot birdie putt just slid by the edge of the cup on the 18th hole, the match would head for extras. Jorden and Knowles would halve the 19th and 20th holes with pars and would head for the 21st hole. Knowles hit a great greenside bunker shot to secure his par, giving Jorden an opportunity to win the title. After surveying the putt from many angles, Jorden drained the 18 foot birdie putt to win his first State Championship.
En route to the finals, Jorden and Knowles each won five matches to meet Sunday afternoon. Jorden, who earned the 14th seed after posting a 71 in the seeding round, defeated Osten Waite, from Ocala, 2 and 1 in the round of 64. Jorden defeated joseph Trey Aguirre, of Navarre, 3 and 2 to advance to the round of 16 and then defeated Shane Convery, of Ponte Vedra, in 19 holes to earn his spot in the quarterfinals. Playing Jamey Salmon, from Jacksonville, Jorden won 4 and 3 to advance to the semifinals. On Sunday morning, Jorden ousted Austin Powell, from Jupiter, 2 and 1, to face Knowles in the final match.
More than 300 players attempted to qualify at one of seven sites across the state. In the qualifying stage, players competed in 18 holes of stroke play in hopes of reaching the Championship at Timuquana Country Club. The Match Play Championship begins with an 18-hole seeding round to seed the 64 player field. Single elimination match play follows to determine the Match Play Champion. Full Story
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Partly Cloudy||92 °F|
Entries Close June 26, 2013
The Amateur Match Play Championship is an exciting event that utilizes golf's original match play format. There are 7 qualifiers slated throughout the state to provide players the opportunity to qualify for this prestigious championship. Timuquana Country Club, one of Florida's oldest and most historic clubs, will play host to the championship this year. Founded in 1923 this course has hosted numerous FSGA Championships as well as the U.S. Senior Amateur Championship in 2002.
Male amateurs must be a member of the FSGA
Must have a handicap index no higher than 11.4.
- $65 ($75 - members who do not have an active FSGA/GHIN Handicap). Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the qualifying field.
- Those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying must pre-register and remit an additional $125 on the FSGA website under the "My Account" section, which can be located in the top right hand corner of the web-page.
- Payment must be received by Monday, July 29th by 12:00 pm, or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship. Championship Fee includes cart fees for all competitive rounds.
To pre-register online:
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Exempt Player's Fee
$160 ($170 - members who do not have an active FSGA/GHIN Handicap). Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption. (See below)
Championship Format and Seeding
- 18 holes of individual stroke play on Thursday to determine seeds in round of 64. Ties for seeds will be broken randomly.
- Single elimination round of 64 match play will begin on Friday morning.
- The round of 32 is scheduled to begin Friday afternoon.
- The round of 16 will be played on Saturday morning followed by the quarter-finals that afternoon.
- The semi-finals will be played on Sunday morning and the finals will be held on Sunday Afternoon.
Championship Field Size
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,900-7,300 yards.
18 holes stroke play at 7 sites. During qualifying, each player must use a golf cart. Caddies are acceptable, but he/she may not ride in a golf cart or carry the player's clubs. Players are responsible for cart fees for all practices rounds.
Qualifying Sites - Click here
Chase Seiffert, of Panama City, defeated Hank Lebioda, from Winter Springs, 4 & 3 at The Country Club of Orlando, in Orlando.
During qualifying and the Championship proper, each player must use a golf cart. Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round cart fees at qualifying sites and at the Championship proper.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on the weekend. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call (904) 386-0477 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Players in the following categories will be exempt from the seeding round and will be directly placed into the Championship flight provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements.
- Last three year's Amateur Match Play Champions
- Last year's Amateur Match Play semifinalists
- Last three year's Amateur Champions
- Current year's top five & tied Amateur Championship finishers
- Last three year's Mid-Amateur Champion
- Last year's Mid-Amateur Championship semifinalists
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Champion
- Current year's Amateur Public Links Champion
- Last year's Mid-Senior Champion
- Last year's Junior Amateur Match Play Champion (16-18 age division)
- Last year's Florida Open Low Amateur
- Current year's Boys Junior Champion (16-18 age division)
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Next year's Amateur Championship
- Next year's Amateur Match Play Championship
- Next year's Amateur Match Play Championship
Championship Pace of Play
Click here to read the Championship Pace of Play Policy.
Hard Card; Local Rules and Conditions of Competitions
Click here to read the Hard Card and additional Conditions of Competitions.
Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, caddie and spectator and other policies.
Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into the Championship.
Please click the View Hotels tab in the Tournament Links section for hotels in the Jacksonville area.
Spectators and Caddies
Spectators and caddies are always welcome at FSGA Championships. Only players are allowed to ride in carts. If a player employs a caddie, the caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Method of Payment
Timuquana Country Club will accept cash and Visa/MasterCard for payment.
Timuquana Country Club
4028 Timuquana Road
Jacksonville, FL 32210
Click here for directions.