Junior Amateur Match Play (Boys 13-15 & Girls 13-18)
July 18-21, 2022
TAMPA, Fla. – Three players were crowned Junior Match Play champions on Thursday. Palmer Haynes raised the Boys (16-18) trophy at River Hills Country Club, while Kayla Bryant and Pavel Tsar took home the Girls (13-18) and Boys (13-15) wins, respectively, at Buckhorn Springs Golf & Country Club.
This is the first FSGA championship victory for Haynes and Tsar, while Bryant takes home her second FSGA championship victory.
Haynes defeated Joshua Pritchett, 3 and 1, in the Finals to earn the victory in the Boys (16-18) Division. Pritchett took an early lead, winning the third hole to go 1 up. Haynes won two-straight holes on Nos. 7-8 to take his first lead of the day at 2 up, but Pritchett closed the gap to 1 up on the ninth.
Haynes started the back nine by winning two of the first four holes to extend his lead to 2 up. He closed out the match on the 17th hole, winning 3 and 1.
Haynes earned the No. 5 seed after two rounds of stroke-play seeding. He won his first two matches 4 and 2, and 1 up, before defeating Jason Shwartz in 21 holes to secure a spot in the Semifinals. The Orlando native defeated the No. 1 seed, James Earle, to advance to the finals.
Pritchett, who began the championship as the No. 14 seed, ended the week with a runner-up finish.
Bryant took home the win in the Girls (13-18) division, defeating Sabree Lefebvre, 3 and 2, in the Finals. Lefebvre took the first lead of the day on the first, but Bryant tied the match back up on the fifth. Bryant won two of her next three hole to take her first lead of the day.
Lefebvre won back a hole on the ninth to head to the back nine 1 down. Bryant, a Boca Raton native, won back-to-back holes on the 12th and 13th to take a 3-up lead. She secured the championship win on the 16th hole, winning 3 and 2.
Bryant earned the No. 2 seed with a 2-over 146 in the stroke-play seeding rounds. She began match play with a big 8-and-6 win over Vanessa Perry, adding a 3-and-2 win and 1-up victory to advance to the Finals. This is the second FSGA championship for Bryant, who captured the Futures Championship in 2018. Her Junior Match Play victory at Buckhorn comes at the site of her first Florida Junior Tour win in 2018.
Lefebvre, who earned the No. 1 seed with a 1-under 143, finished the championship with a runner-up finish
Tsar raised the trophy in the Boys (13-15) Division, defeating Ronav Benak, 4 and 3, in the Finals. Tsar took the lead on the third hole and never let it go. The Palm Beach Gardens native took a 3-up lead, winning Nos. 5-6 to extend his lead
Benak won the ninth hole to head to the back side 2 down. Tsar won back-to-back holes on Nos. 10-11 to extend his lead to 4 up. Beank won the 12th hole, but Tsar took the 15th with a birdie to capture the 4-and-3 win and the championship.
Tsar earned the No. 2 seed heading into the week, posting a 1-over 145 for the stroke-play seeding. Tsar earned a 1-up win and a 5-and-3 win in the Round of the 16 and Quarterfinals, respectively, to advance. He picked up a commanding 8-and-7 win against Vlad Alexander Bercea to punch his ticket to the finals, winning seven holes on the front side to post a 28.
Benak, who ended the week with a runner-up finish, defeated the No. 1 seed, Mykhailo Golod, in the Semifinals.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys (13-15)||6,686 yds. 72.6/133|
|Girls (13-18)||6,014 yds. 74.3/133|
Format: 36 holes of individual gross stroke play; low 16 scores qualify for match play
Eligibility: Male & Female Florida resident - junior golfer
Handicap: Florida GHIN required (18.0 or less)
Entry Fee: $135
Schedule of Events
- Boys (13-15) & Girls (13-18)
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- After 36 holes, the field will be cut to the low 16 players in each division.
- Players will compete in 18-hole matches and the winner will advance.
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 84 players
- Buckhorn Springs Golf & Country Club
- Male or female amateur golfer
- Florida Resident
- GHIN Handicap is required
- Females must be between 13-18 years of age as of the last day of the tournament and males must be between 13-15 years of age. No players are allowed to play outside of their age division.
- Entrant is not required to be a member of the FSGA
$135 - Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf and tee gift. Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late fee should the entrant gain acceptance in to the field.
- First come, first served
- The FSGA may hold an undisclosed number of spots for exceptional circumstances.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately:
- Boys (13-15) - 6,600 - 6,900 yards
- Girls (13-18) - 5,700 - 5,900 yards
Schedule of Events
Monday, July 18th
- 6:30 AM - 9:00 AM - Registration - located near the clubhouse
- 7:30 AM - 9:27 AM double tee - Round 1 tee times off #1 and #10
Tuesday, July 19th
- 8:00 AM Shotgun - Second round of the stroke play seeding portion.
- After the completion of play, the field will be cut to the low 16 players in the boys and girls divisions.
- If necessary, a playoff will be held immediately following the seeding round to determine the last qualifiers into match play.
- Players will turn in their scorecards, grab a quick bite to eat, and then start their Round of 16 matches off #1 and #10.
- Tee times will roughly be 1:00 PM - 1:57 PM
Wednesday, July 20th
- Quarterfinals - 7:30 AM - 8:45 AM off tee #1
- Semifinals - Approx. 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM off tee #1
Thursday, July 21st
- Championship Matches - 7:30 AM & 7:45 AM
World & National Rankings
The Girls (13-18) age division of the Championship is ranked by the World Amateur Golf Ranking. The 36-hole stroke play portion of the Championship is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard for both divisions.
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Champion - 2 performance stars
- Runner-up - 1 performance star
- Champion - 8 performance stars
- Runner-up - 4 performance stars
- Semifinalists - 1 performance star
Click here for the previous year's results
Practice Round and Practice Facility Information
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship and after 12:00 PM on the weekend prior on a space available basis. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax and includes cart and range balls prior to the round. Please call (813) 689-7766 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
You may not make your practice round tee time before Championship groupings are made.
TrackMan Sessions Available
We are pleased to offer tournament participants the opportunity to utilize our TrackMan launch moniter, and to have his/her swing recorded on Sunday July 17th at Buckhorn Springs Golf & Country Club. Specifics will be included in the pre-event email. There is no charge for this service. All information will be posted to the junior's FSGA profile for college coaches to view. Click here for more information.
Path to College Golf - Recruiting Consultations
The FSGA is excited to offer in-person recruiting consultations at Buckhorn Springs with our staff member, Erin O'Neil during the Girls' Junior Championship. As a former Division I Women's Golf Coach for over twenty years, she has the knowledge and experience to help guide you on journey of finding the right fit in a college and golf program. Click here to view more information and how to sign up.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
Boys (13-15) Semifinalists
- Next year's Boys' Junior Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed.
- Transportation - Players walk.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Hampon Inn & Suites Tampa Riverview Brandon
10240 Causewat Blvd
Tampa, FL 33619
Click here to book.
Buckhorn Springs accepts cash, Visa, and MasterCard as method of payment.
Buckhorn Springs Golf & Country Club
2721 S Miller Road
Valrico, FL 33596
Click here for directions.