Futures Championship (11-12 & 9-10)
June 9-10, 2018
- The Oak Club, Heron Course – Osprey
- Yardages and Ratings
- Boys 11-12: 5,559 yds. 66.7/116
- Boys 9-10: 5,066 yds. 64.4/112
- Girls 11-12: 5,066 yds. 68.9/124
- Girls 9-10: 4,185 yds. 64.1/113
Two rounds under-par gave Aaron Leach, of Windermere, his win by two strokes over Gavin Fleming, of Jacksonville. Fleming took the lead after round one with the tournament low of 67, while Leach sat three strokes behind in second place. In round two, Leach carded seven birdies, including sinking a 40-foot birdie putt on hole 18, to jump to a first place victory at 139. Leach carded two rounds in red numbers, 70-69—139 (-5). Fleming took second place after a round two 74 and 141 (-3) total. Aaron DeWitt and Asher Joseph tied for third place after identical rounds of 73-70—143.
Tristan Wieland, of Jupiter, took the early lead in his first FSGA tournament with a one under-par 71. Following close behind lurked Phillip Dunham, of Jacksonville, who posted a round one 72. Dunham began round two on fire, birdying four holes on his first nine. Finishing with two birdies and two bogies on his final nine holes, Dunham stole the lead at 140 (-4). Despite a birdie on the last hole, Wieland fell to second place with a final round 72 for a 143 (-1) total.Dunham earned his victory by three strokes. Rounding out the top three was Jessy Huebner with rounds of 75-71—146.
Steady play from Mi Li, of Orlando, earned her a Championship win by six strokes. Li took the lead after round one by five strokes with a 74 and followed up with a round two 75 to win at 149 (+5). Gloria Nip carded rounds of 79-76—155 to claim second place followed by Alyssa Mixon, 76-81—157, in third place.
A sudden-death playoff determined the winner between Kayla Bryant and Sophia Stiwich. Bryant, of Boca Raton, posted impressive rounds of 72-71 to tie Sophia Stiwich, of North Port, who carded rounds of 73-70, 143. Bryant birdied her 17th hole and pared her 18th hole to force the playoff where she continued her solid play. The playoff went to hole number nine where Bryant made a two-putt par to take the win. Sophia. Stiwich felt to second place with Sammy Chao capturing third place with rounds of 71-75—146 (+2).
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 11-12||5,559 yds., 66.7/116|
|Boys 9-10||5,066 yds., 64.4/112|
|Girls 11-12||5,066 yds., 68.9/124|
|Girls 9-10||4,185 yds., 64.1/113|
|Sunny w/ a light breeze||87 °F|
~ Heron Course ~
The Futures Championship, being held at The Oaks Club on June 9-10, 2018, will be the inaugural state Championship for 9-12 year old players. Join us for the event as four young players will be named state champions for the first time ever here in Florida. Please click here to view a hole-by-hole tour of The Heron Course, which will provide a stern test for all of the players participating in the 2018 Futures Championship.
- 84 player field size
- Age Divisions: Boys and Girls 11-12 and 9-10 years of age
- Thirty-six holes of individual stroke play on the Heron Course.
- If necessary, there will be a hole by hole play-off to determine the Champion. It is the player's responsibility to be present for any play-off.
- Male or female amateur golfer
- Entrant is not required to be a member of the FSGA
- Must be at least 9 years of age on the first day of the Championship and no older than 12 years of age as of the last day of the Championship
- All players will compete in the age division commensurate with their age as of the last day of the Championship. No players are allowed to play out of their age division.
- Exception: Those players granted permission to play up into the 9-10 age divisions during the season will be allowed to compete in the 9-10 age divisions of the Championship.
- Championship Fee: $100
Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf, tee gift, and a trophy for the winner in each division. Late entries will be accepted and subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, June 9th
- 7:00 - 9:45 AM - Player Registration
- 8:00 - 9:57 AM - Round One tee times off #1 & #10 tees on the Heron Course
Sunday June 10th
- 8:00 - 9:57 AM - Final Round tee times off #1 & #10 tees on the Heron Course
- Awards ceremony following the completion of play
Entry Priority and Field Determination
The Championship field is determined by the following method:
1. FJT winners from the current season (November 2017 - May 2018) are reserved a spot in the Championship field. Players must have their entry in before the close of entries on May 23rd, 2018.
Please click here to view the FJT winners from the current season.
2. All other entries will be held until the close of entries date. Players will then be accepted based off their standing on the FJT points lists as of May 23rd, 2018. In some extraordinary cases, performance in other national or state events may be taken into account.
Approximately 54 boys and 30 girls will be accepted into the field:
- Boys 11-12 - 36 players
- Girls 11-12 - 18 players
- Boys 9-10 - 18 players
- Girls 9-10 - 12 players
Field sizes may change based on the number of entries in each age division.
Boys Points Standings
Girls Points Standings
3. An alternates list will be posted to the website under "Tee Times and Player Information".
The FSGA reserves the right to modify the selection process and field sizes referenced above.
- Boys 11-12 Age Division - 5,500 yards
- Girls 11-12 Age Division - 5,000 yards
- Boys 9-10 Age Division - 5,000 yards
- Girls 9-10 Age Division - 4,200 yards
Please click here to view the approximate distance per hole for each age division.
Boys and Girls 11-12 Age Division
- Ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament on a space-available basis. Tee times are only available after 12:00 PM on the weekends. The price for a practice round is $30.00 plus tax.
Please call 941-966-2191 to arrange your practice round. The Oaks Club accepts Visa and MasterCard as methods of payment.
Always remember, the proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range. Hitting multiple shots on the course, not filling divots, and not repairing ball marks is unacceptable and may cause removal from the tournament without a refund.
Exemptions and Earning Permission to Play Up
9-10 Age Division
Champions of the Girls 9-10 and Boys 9-10 divisions will earn the ability to play in their respective 11-12 division.
11-12 Age Division
Champions of the Girls 11-12 and Boys 11-12 divisions will earn the ability to play in their respective Florida Junior Tour 13-15 division. Champions will ALSO earn one exemption into a Florida Junior Tour 13-15 event.
The FSGA reserves the right to modify the above selection process for earning the ability to play up.
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed.
- Transportation - Players must walk and carry their bag (push carts are allowed).
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here. Spectators are allowed. Spectator carts are available on a first-come, first-served basis for $25 plus tax.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Currently, the FSGA does not have a host hotel for this event.
Directions - The Oaks Club
301 Macewen Drive
Osprey, FL 34229
Click here for directions to the club.