Junior Amateur Match Play (Boys 16-18)
July 19-22, 2021
TAMPA, Fla. – Three players were crowned Junior Match Play champions on Thursday. Aaron Leach raised the Boys (16-18) trophy at The Club at The Strand, while Maria Jose Marin Negrete and Shawn Coultoff took home the Girls (13-18) and Boys (13-15) wins, respectively, at Lemon Bay Golf Club.
This is the first FSGA championship victory for all three players.
Leach defeated Siyuan Lyu, 1 up, in the Finals to earn the victory in the Boys (16-18) Division. Leach took an early lead, winning the third hole to go 1 up. Lyu won two-straight holes on Nos. 6-7 to take his first lead of the day.
After winning the ninth hole, Leach took back the lead with a par on the 12th hole. The Windermere native extended his lead with a birdie on the 15th. Lyu didn’t go down easy, winning the 17th with a birdie. The two tied the 18th to secure the victory for Leach.
Leach earned the No. 6 seed after two rounds of stroke-play seeding. He won his first two matches 3 and 2, before defeating Adam Waller in 20 holes to secure a spot in the Semifinals.
Lyu, who ended the week with a runner-up finish, defeated the No. 1 seed in the Round of 16.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Junior Match Play (16-18)||6852 yds., 73.8/143|
|Sunny & Hot||90 °F|
Format: 36 holes of individual gross stroke play; low 32 scores qualify for match play
Eligibility: Male Florida resident - junior golfer
Handicap: Florida GHIN required (24.0 or less)
Entry Fee: $120
- Boys 16-18
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- After 36 holes, the field will be cut to the low 32 players
- Players will compete in 18-hole matches and the winner will advance.
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 84 players
- The Club at the Strand
- Savannah & Sabel Courses
- Male amateur golfer
- Florida Resident
- GHIN Handicap is required
- Male must be between 16-18 years of age as of the last day of the tournament. No players are allowed to play outside of their age division.
- Entrant is not required to be a member of the FSGA
$120 - Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf and tee gift. Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late fee should the entrant gain acceptance in to the field.
- First come, first served
- The FSGA may hold an undisclosed number of spots for exceptional circumstances.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,800-7,000 yards.
Schedule of Events
Monday, July 19th
- 6:30 AM - 9:00 AM - Registration - located near the clubhouse
- 7:30 AM - 9:27 AM - Round one tee times off of #1 & #10
Tuesday, July 20th
- 8:00 AM shotgun
- After the completion of play the field will be cut to the low 32 players
- If necessary, a playoff will be held immediately following the seeding round to determine the last qualifiers in to Match Play
- Round of 32 matches will begin approximately 30 minutes after the completion of the morning shotgun off of tees #1 & #10
Wednesday, July 21st
- Round of 16 - 7:30 AM - 8:45 AM off of tee #1
- Quarterfinals - Approx. 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM off of tee #1
Thursday, July 22nd
- Semi-Final Matches - 7:30 AM & 7:45 AM
- 18-hole Final Match to determine the Champion - 12:00 PM off #1 tee
World & National Rankings
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Champion - 8 performance stars
- Semifinalists - 4 performance stars
- Quarterfinalists - 1 performance star
The Junior Match Play Championship was not played in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Jordan Sarhaddi, of Land O' Lakes, hoisted the Junior Match Play trophy in 2019 at Mission Inn Resort & Club. Sarhaddi prevailed to the final match where he defeated Eoin Buckelew 5up to win! Click here for the 2019 results.
Practice Round and Practice Facility Information
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship and after 12:00 PM on the weekend prior on a space available basis. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call (239) 592-9944 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
You may not make your practice round tee time before Championship groupings are made.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next year's Amateur Match Play Championship
- Next year's Boys' Junior Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed.
- Transportation - Players will ride.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Ritz Carlton Golf Resort, Naples
2600 Tiburon Drive
Naples, FL 34109
Click here for rates
The Club at the Strand
5840 Strand Boulevard
Naples, FL 34110
Click here for directions.