May 16-19, 2019
Shuart Prevails in Extra Holes to Capture 2nd Mid-Amateur Crown
Quail Valley Golf Club, in Vero Beach, was in pristine condition as the host of the 38th Mid-Amateur Championship. The field consisted of 63 players who advanced through local qualifying to meet 21 exempt players at the prestigious Quail Valley Golf Club for 36 holes of stroke play seeding. Vero Beach local, Michael Barbosa, was the wire-to-wire stroke play medalist by one stroke with rounds of 67-69—136. Fourteen red numbers highlighted the stroke play leaderboard. 2015 Champion, TJ Shuart, finished as the third seed with an impressive second round of 67. Other past Champions, Joe Alfieri and Steve Carter, advanced to match play while six players, who tied at three over-par 147, continued to a sudden-death play-off to determine the last two spots in the round of 32 matches. 2019 Finalist, Jeff Golden, and Devin Hernandez prevailed through the play-off to finish 31st and 32nd seed respectively.
Stroke Play Results
Click here for the Mid-Amateur Preview
The Round of 32 began immediately after the second stroke play seeding round. Michael Barbosa defeated Devin Hernandez, of Saint Petersburg, to face 2009 Champion, Steve Carter, in the Round of 16. The 25th seed, Devon Hopkins, and 24th seed, Joey Latowski, prevailed against lower seeds to continue on their quest for the Finals. Both Matthew Lemma, of New Port Richey, and Nikhil DeSai, of Winter Park, earned 1-up wins to advance to the next round. Aaron Badz, of Saint Augustine, won his match, 2 & 1, against 2018 Mid-Senior Champion, Miles McConnell, while TJ Shuart continued his strong play to advance to the Round of 16.
Exciting golf highlighted the Round of 16 and Quarterfinal Matches played on Saturday. Five of the eight matches were determined on the 18th hole, including two matches that needed 20 holes to find a winner. Fourth seed, Matthew Lemma, advanced to the Quarterfinals after 20 holes against Brian Keenan, who played 22 holes to reach the Round of 16. Joey Latowski, of Port Saint Lucie, faced 20 holes against Devon Hopkins to continue to the Quarterfinals. Impressive golf came from two-time Champion, Steve Carter, of Saint Augustine, who took down stroke play medalist, Barbosa, 1-up. A clutch 18 foot putt on the final hole from Nikhil DeSai allowed him to beat 1999 Champion, Joe Alfieri, 1-up. Vero Beach local, Ryan Cobb, ended his match play journey after TJ Shuart advanced 2 & 1.
The great display of golf continued to the Quarterfinal matches on Saturday afternoon. Latowski faced Carter and the pair halved the first six holes with all pars. An eagle on the seventh hole brought Latowski to 1-up along with giving him momentum to card birdies on holes 9, 12, and 14. A bogey free round for Latowski propelled him to the Semifinal Matches with a 4 & 2 win. Lemma never trailed in his match and made the turn at 3-up. An eagle on 14 and birdie on 15 earned Lemma a 4 & 3 win against DeSai. The most excitement came from the match between Aaron Badz and Bowen Osborn. Badz was 4-up through 10 holes when Osborn brought forth the heat making an eagle on the par four, 11th hole and birdies on holes 14 and 15. The match sat at all square on the 18th green where the two both made pars and continued to play the first hole for the third time that day. Badz advanced to the semifinals after a par on the par three, second, their 20th hole. TJ Shuart defeated fellow South Floridian, Daniel Eggertsson, 2 & 1 due to his steady play.
The Semifinals saw Latowski defeat Lemma 3 &2 and Shuart win 7 & 6 against Badz. Latowski would go head to head against past Champion, Shuart, in the Finals. After a birdie on the first hole, Latowski took the early lead. Latowski made the turn 2-up and held onto his lead approaching the finishing holes. Shuart came back to win holes 13, 14, 17, and 18 to take the match to all square. Shuart’s birdie on the 18th hole extended the match to extra holes to determine the Champion. On the first extra hole, number one, both players missed their birdie putts to continue to the second hole. On the 20th hole, Shuart missed the green short right, chipping on to 30 feet. Latowski hit his approach shot on the fringe and left himself with an eight foot putt for par. Both players made bogey extending the match to the 21st hole, par five number three. Shuart and Latowski laid-up and hit their approach shots ten yards short of the green with a false front. Latowski left himself with five feet for par while Shuart closed in on the hole with a six inch par putt. Latowski missed his putt and Shuart sunk his putt for par to seize his second Mid-Amateur Championship victory!
Follow the FSGA:
The men’s schedule will continue with the Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Championships on June 1-2. The Mid-Amateur Four-Ball North is hosted by World Woods Golf Club, in Brooksville, while the Mid-Amateur Four-Ball South will be played at Eagle Creek Golf & Country Club in Naples.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Stroke Play Round 1||6,942 yds. 73.4/141|
|Stroke Play Round 2||6,957 yds. 73.4/141|
|Match Play||7,082 yds. 73.9/142|
|Light Breeze||86 °F|
The 38th playing of the Mid-Amateur Championship is heading to Quail Valley Golf Club in Vero Beach. The Tommy Fazio design will be a delight for match play as it offers numerous tee pads and fast undulating greens, and will be shown off with a variety of setups over match play rounds. Quail Valley has played host to two Florida Open's, the 97th Florida Amateur Championship and US Open Sectional Qualifying. An estimated 350 mid-amateurs (25 years of age and older) will attempt to qualify for this premier championship which is ranked by the World Amateur Golf Rankings. Click here to see the results from past Mid-Amateur Championships.
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee|| Exempt Fee
- Qualifying Fee: Qualifying Fee includes entry fee and cart fee.
- Championship Fee: Fee paid by those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying. Includes tee gifts, course fees, and range balls for each competitive round.
- Exempt Fee: Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption.
Those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying must pre-register and remit an additional $125 online at www.FSGA.org under the "My Account" section, which can be located in the top right hand corner of the web-page. Payment must be received by Thursday, May 9th by 3:30 pm, or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship.
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Refunds, Notice of Withdrawals
Qualifying Entry Fees - Requests for qualifying entry refunds received prior to entry closing date will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). Requests received after the closing date will be honored (less 50% of entry fee). No requests will be honored within two days of the scheduled start date of the qualifier.
Championship Fees & Exempt Entry Fees - Requests for refunds of Exempt or Championship fees prior to the pre-registration deadline will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). No requests will be honored after the pre-registration deadline (See pre-registration date displayed on this page).
- Male amateur golfer
- At least 25 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
- 36 holes of gross individual stroke play. Low 32 scores advance to match play.
- There will be a hole-by-hole play-off to determine the last qualifier's place in the Championship immediately - All other ties for seeds will be broken randomly
- The match play round of 32 will begin Friday afternoon
- The round of 16 will be played on Saturday morning and the quarterfinals will begin Saturday afternoon
- Semifinals will be played on Sunday morning and Championship match will be played on Sunday afternoon.
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 84 players
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,800-7,100 yards.
Schedule of Events
Thursday, May 16th
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Round 1 stroke play off #1 and #10 tees
Friday, May 17th
- 8:00 shotgun start - Round 2 stroke play
- Field is cut to the 32 for match play; play-off immediately following play to determine the last qualifying position
- Complimentary Lunch Buffet for competitors following Round 2
- 1:30 PM - Round of 32 of match play off #1 and #10 tees
Saturday, May 18th
- 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM - Round of 16 of match play off #1 tee
- 12:30 PM - 1:15 PM - Quarterfinals of match play off #1 tee
Sunday, May 19th
- 8:00 AM - 8:15 AM - Semifinals of match play off #1 tee
- 12:00 PM - Final match of match play off # 1 tee
- 18 holes of individual stroke play at seven qualifying sites.
- During qualifying, each player must use a golf cart.
- Players are responsible for cart fees for all practice rounds.
Marc Dull, of Winter Haven defeated Jeff Golden; by default, in the final after a weather delay halted play. Dull, the 2017 Player of the Year, defeated past Champions, Joe Alfieri, Chip Brooke & T J Shuart, en route to his first Mid-Amateur Championship title.
Championship Practice Rounds
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship and after 12:00 PM the weekend prior on a space available basis. The cost of your first practice round is $35 plus tax. Please call 772-299-0093 to arrange your practice round. Accepted forms of payment in the Golf Shop are American Express, Visa, and MasterCard.
Players in the following categories will be eligible for exemption provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements.
NOTE: Blank entries will be filed by the FSGA for players who become exempt after the close of entries.
- Last five year's Mid-Amateur Champions
- Last two year's Mid-Amateur Runner-ups
- Last year's Mid-Amateur Championship Semifinalists
- Last year's top ten and tied Mid-Amateur Player of the Year Points List
- Last year's top three and tied Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Champion finishers
- Last year's Senior Amateur Player of the Year
- Current year's Senior Amateur Champion
- Last year's Amateur Public Links Champion
- Last year's Amateur Match Play Champion
- Last year's Mid-Senior Champion
- Last year's Florida Open Low Amateur
- Current year's Florida Senior Open Low Amateur
- Current year's final Winter Series Mid-Amateur (25-54 Age Division) Senior (55-64 Age Division) Points Leader
- Florida residents qualifying for last year's U.S. Amateur Championship
- Florida residents qualifying for last year's U.S Mid-Amateur Championship
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next five Mid-Amateur Championships
- Next three Amateur Championships
- Next three Amateur Match Play Championships
- Current year's Florida Open
- Next two Mid-Amateur Championships
- Next year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Current year's Amateur Championship
- Current year's Amateur Match Play Championship
Players making match play
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
SpringHill Suites Vero Beach
5115 Indian River Blvd
Vero Beach, Florida 32967
May 1 - December 31, 2019 - $124 per night plus tax. - Single/Double Occupancy Suites.For reservations please call 772-978-9292, and identify yourself as an FSGA Competitor or book online here, using corporate code "3F1"
Quail Valley Golf Club
6545 Pinnacle Drive
Vero Beach, FL 32967
Pro Shop: (772) 299-0093
Click here for directions