Junior Team Championship
August 5-6, 2017
After two grueling hot days at Plantation Golf Club in Venice, four teams came out on top to win their respective divisions at the 2017 Junior Team Championship. Both 13-15 age divisions teed it up on the Panther Course while the 16-18 divisions played the Bobcat course both days. Each team consisted of three players and the top two 18-hole scores from each team would be combined to form a team total. After two rounds, teams from the Gainesville Junior Golf Tour, the Junior Golf Association of Broward County, and Emerald Coast Junior Golf Tour prevailed to capture their team titles.
In the 16-18 division, both the male and female teams from Emerald Coast Junior Golf Tour came out victorious. The Boy's 16-18 division posted some low numbers with the lowest two-day totals coming from two players from Emerald Coast Junior Golf Tour. Patrick Poate, who was playing in his last junior golf event before college, led his team to victory after posting an even-par 72 and a two-under par, 70. Poates two-day total of 142 led not only his team but the field as well. Sitting behind Poate in second place was teammate Chase Hurt. Hurt came out of the gate strong after shooting a three-under par, 69 after the first round, however with a four-over par, 76 today, Hurt would finish one-over par, which was good enough for second place. Rounding out the Emerald Coast Junior Golf Tour team was incoming junior, John David Cobb. Cobb, despite not having his first round score count, shot a four-over par 76. Cobb's second round, however, was just one better of Hurt, so his three-over par round of 75 helped the team. After shooting a two-day total of two-under, 288, Emerald Coast Junior Golf Tour captured the Boy's 16-18 division by eight shots.
In the Girl's 16-18 division, the team from Emerald Coast Junior Golf Tour also won, but only by three shots. Led by Junior Florida Cup North Team member, Lauren Miller, the team from Emerald Coast Junior Golf Tour shot 151 & 154 to beat the Junior Golf Association of Broward County by just a few. Lauren Miller shot a consistent 74 and 75 to tie Broward County's Brooke Benedetto for medalist honors. Assisting Lauren to victory was Cameron Fish and Madisyn Messmore. The first round, Cameron shot a five-over par 77 while Madisyn shot an 81. For the second round, Lauren's 75 would count as well as Cameron's seven-over par round of 79. With a two-day total of 305, the Emerald Coast Junior Golf Tour would take home their second victory of the day.
In the Boy's 13-15 division, it was a close race as the Gainesville Junior Golf Tour edged the Greater Sarasota Junior Golf Association by one shot. The Gainesville Junior Golf Tour was led by Jake Davis who backed up his first round score of 73 with a two-over par, second round score of 74. His 147 total would be good enough for medalist honors as well as help lead his team to a first place finish. Davis's other two teammates, Colby Toner and Michael Wu played consistently over the two days. Toner helped his team both days with posting consecutive 80's while Wu sat closely behind with consecutive rounds of 81. Just one shot back of Gainesville Junior Golf Tour was the Greater Sarasota Junior Golf Association who began to make a comeback with Robbie Higgins score of 73. However, with counting an 82, they would finish with at two-day total of 308, one shot back.
In the Girl's 13-15 division, the Junior Golf Association of Broward County ran away from the field. With two members of the team recent Junior Florida Cup champions, the bar was set high and they delivered. The Junior Golf Association of Broward County was led by Jillian Bourdage who bested her first round score of one-over par round of 73 with a two-under round of 70. With three birdies and just one bogey, Jillian would shoot one of the few rounds under par in the entire event and would lead her team to victory. Her teammate, Casey Weidenfeld, also played extremely well this weekend. After shooting a four-over par round of 76 day one, Casey came out this morning and fired a three-over par, 75 to finish the tournament second individually. The final member of the Junior Golf Association of Broward County's team was Makayla Chau. The team's two-day total of 294 was good enough to take home the victory by twelve shots over the Greater Sarasota Junior Golf Association.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 16-18 - Bobcat||6,789 yds. 72.9/132|
|Girls 16-18 - Bobcat||5,818 yds. 74.4/128|
|Boys 13-15 - Panther||6,363 yds. 70.5/128|
|Girls 13-15 - Panther||5,599 yds. 73.2/129|
|Light Winds||90 °F|
|Mild Breeze||93 °F|
The Junior Team Championship is an unique and exciting Championship open to junior programs around the state of Florida. Junior golfers get the chance to play in a team environment, something that is not very common in golf. Plantation Golf & Country Club, located in Venice, will host the 2017 Junior Team Championship on the Bobcat and Panther Courses. For a look at the 2016 Championship Results click here.
- 60 teams; 180 players
- Three players per team and all three members must fall into one division (playing up allowed if approved by FSGA)
- 36 holes of stroke play
- Total of the low two scores per round of the three gross scores for each team will count
- Two courses will be utilized - players will play the same course both days
Course assignments are as follows:
Boys 16-18 Division - Bobcat Course
Girls 16-18 Division - Bobcat Course
Boys 13-15 Division - Panther Course
Girls 13-15 Division - Panther Course
Course assignments are subject to change pending number of entries received in each division.
Eligibility & Entry Priority
- Open to junior programs that provide organized tournaments, instruction, or clinics that are open to all junior golfers in your community
- National or statewide tours are not allowed to participate
- Junior programs may select the individuals they send to the Team Championship by any criteria they select; however, all three players must be directly involved with the local program listed on the entry form
- Only one team ("A" team) from each program will be accepted per division prior to the close of entries
- Additional teams ("B", and "C") will be accepted on a space available basis after the entry deadline based on order of receipt of entry. All "B" teams entered before the deadline will be considered for acceptance before any "C" teams are considered.
- Entrant must not have reached their 19th birthday by August 6, 2017 and not attending college if graduated from high school. See exception here.
Junior Programs may reserve a spot (with a fully-paid entry) without team member's names prior to the closing date.
- $195 per team
- Coaches carts are not included in above entry fee
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
- Boys 16-18 will play approximately 6,600-6,800 yards
- Girls 16-18 will play approximately 5,600-5,800 yards
- Boys 13-15 will play approximately 6,300-6,500 yards
- Girls 13-15 will play approximately 5,400-5,600 yards
Based on age as of August 6, 2017
- Boy's Ages 16-18
- Boy's Ages 13-15
- Girl's Ages 16-18
- Girl's Ages 13-15
The Championship is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship and after 12:00 PM the weekend prior on a space available basis at either golf course. The price for a practice round is $25.00 + tax which includes a cart (if 16 years of age or older). The number of carts per group may be restricted if needed. To schedule your practice round call 941-493-2000. Practice round rate is for participants.
Each team is allowed ONE Coach. Only that coach may give advice after the completion of a hole and before the start of the next hole. Each Coach should register themselves as the team coach at the registration table to receive their team packet.
Coaches and spectators may rent carts for $25 plus tax each day. Carts are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The FSGA requests these carts be used to assist in evacuation of players if play is suspended for dangerous situation (inclement weather).
Boys 16-18: Emerald Coast Junior Golf Tour 144-148--292
Girls 16-18: The First Tee Collier/Naples 156-154--310
Boys 13-15: The First Tee Collier/Naples 144-154--298
Girls 13-15: Junior Golf Association of Broward County - 147-146--293
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
There will be a registration table located outside the Golf Shop on Saturday morning. All players and coaches are expected to register before the first round.
Crystal trophies will be awarded to each member and the coach of the winning team. In the Boys division, each member of the winning teams, and individual medalist (if on a non-winning team), will receive three exemptions to the Florida Junior Tour. In the Girls division, each member of the winning teams, and individual medalist (if on a non-winning team), will receive two exemptions to the Florida Junior Tour.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Holiday Inn Express Venice
380 Commercial Ct.
Venice, FL 34292
Reservations: (941) 584-6800
$109 per room, per night, plus tax. Rooms are booked on a first available basis.
Please call (941) 584-6800 and mention the Florida State Golf Association (FSGA) to receive this rate.
Plantation Golf and Country Club accepts Visa/MasterCard ONLY for method of payment. Cash is not accepted.
Click here for directions to Plantation Golf and Country Club
Plantation Golf & Country Club
(Bobcat and Panther Courses)
500 Rockley Boulevard
Venice, FL 34293