Forty & Over Four-Ball Championship (North)
June 5-6, 2021
Omni Amelia Island Oak Marsh Course proved to be a good test for the North players. After day one of competition, the teams of John Lobb/Luis Rivera and Steve Pitts/Jeffrey Thorsen led the way. Lobb and Rivera, of Jacksonville, each accounted for 4 birdies on there way to a round of 5-under 67. Pitts, of Jacksonville, and Thorsen, of Ponte Vedra Beach found their way atop the Round 1 leaderboard after a bogey-free 67.
As play began in Round 2, the leaderboard began to tighten as 7 teams found themselves within a shot of the lead with 4 holes remaining. Among them Steve Carter, of St. Augustine, and Andy Purnell, of Jacksonville, soared up the leaderboard with 3 birdies in their first 5 holes. The team of Jon Veneziano, of Fort Lauderdale, and Ryan Abbate, of Mount Dora, were in hot pursuit after a stretch that included 4 birdies in 6 holes. The two teams found themselves tied atop the leaderboard as they played the par-5 18th. Each team would capitalize on good approach shots to make their respective birdies which meant we were headed to extra holes.
On the first playoff hole, both teams had birdie opportunities from 15 feet that they would see just miss. Playing the par-5 9th hole, Carter and Purnell decided to lay up well back on their second shots into the second playoff hole while Veneziano and Abbate opted to test their wedge games coming into the front right hole location. Purnell hit his iron shot in to 7 feet that put all the pressure on Veneziano and Abbate. Ryan Abbate would give his team the best chance to match Purnell with his wedge to 15 feet. However, Abbate's putt would miss just left and Purnell would knock his putt in for the birdie that would seal the championship for Carter and Purnell.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Championship||6,516 yds. 72.4/134|
|Sunny, Winds 5-10mph||84 °F|
|Sunny & Slightly Breezy||82 °F|
Format: 36 holes of gross four-ball stroke play
Eligibility: FSGA Adult member; at least 40 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN 15.0 or less
Entry Fee: $320 per team ($160 per player)
- 36 holes of gross four-ball stroke play (commonly known as two-person best-ball)
- Maximum Field Size - 52 teams (104 players)
- The lowest team score for 36 holes will be the Champion
What is a Four-Ball? A four-ball is a two person team where the low score of the two players on each hole is counted. It is commonly referred to as best ball.
- Male amateur golfers at least 40 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Both entrants are required to be members of the FSGA
- Active Florida GHIN of 15.0 or less at time of entry
- $320 per team ($160 per player)
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Saturday, June 5th
- 7:30 AM - 9:30 AM - Round one tee times off of #1 and #10
Sunday, June 6th
- 8:00 AM - Shotgun
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,600 - 6,700 yards.
After 18 holes, the number of flights will be based on the number of teams and the range of scores.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship on a space available basis and after 12:00 PM the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $45.00 + tax per player. Please call 904-277-5907 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
The 2020 Championship Forty & Over Four-Ball Championship was contested as only one event at Mission Inn Resort & Club in August of 2020 after the COVID-19 resumption, rather than separate North & South Championships. The 2020 Forty & Over Four-Ball Championship was captured by Steve Albright & Jimmy Letterly, of Ocala. Click here to view the results.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Current year's Four-Ball Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart. - Click here
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
There is no host hotel.
Omni Amelia Island will accept payments of Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Food & Beverage can accept cash as well.
Omni Amelia Island Plantation
39 Beach Lagoon Road
Amelia Island, FL 32034
Click here for directions.