Women's Winter Series - Sun 'N Lake G&CC
November 20-21, 2023
SEBRING, Fla. - Three players captured victories at Sun N' Lake G&CC during the first ever Women's Winter Series. Kim Benedict took home the win in the Mid-Amateur division, Robin Nigro was victorious in the Senior divison, and Lynda Krull captured the Super-Senior division.
Kim Benedict teed it up as the only player in the Mid-Amateur division at Sun N' Lake. Benedict is a two-time member of the Women's Florida Cup Team and the 2021 Women's Mid-Amateur Champion, so she is always a top contender. During round one, the Bonita Springs native put together scores of 40-36 for a 4-over 76 which included one birdie on the day.
During round two, Bendict posted an 11-over 83 to close out the event.
Robin Nigro started off strong during round one to give herself a 7-shot lead over her competition. Starting with a birdie on her first hole of the day, she put together scores of 38-41 for an 8-over total. The Fort Myers native stayed steady during round two to shoot another 8-over 79, for a 158 total to capture the victory.
Tisha Gentry finished second in the Senior divison with rounds of 86-88--174.
It was a tight race during day one between Lynda Krull and Janet Van Slyke. Krull put together a round of 41-44--85 to gain a 2-shot lead over Van Slyke who carded a 45-42--87. However, it was Krull who finished strong during round two to earn herself a 4-shot victory with scores of 85-89--174.
Van Slyke finished in solo second place with scores of 87-91--178, and Carroll Dethrow took third place with scores of 93-87--180.
|Format: 36-holes of gross stroke play|
|Eligibility: FSGA Adult Member at least 22 years of age|
|Handicap: Florida GHIN 34.0 or less|
|Age Divisions: Mid-Amateur, Senior & Super-Senior|
|Entry Fee: $195|
|Schedule of Events|
- 36 holes of individual gross stroke play (gross & net)
- Entries are open to female amateur golfers who are age 22 or older as of Januarary.
- Entrant must be an Adult or Foundation Member of the FSGA
- Entrant must have an active Florida GHIN Handicap and have a current handicap index of 34.0 or lower.
There are three age divisions; Mid-Amateur (22-49), Senior (50-64) and Super-Senior (65 & above). Each player must compete in the age division commensurate with their age as of January. Competitors may not select to play in a different age division or from a different tee than designated.
- Mid-Amateur (22-49) plays approximately 5,600 - 5,800 yards (gross & net)
- Senior (50-64) plays approximately 5,300 yards - 5,500 yards (gross & net)
- Super-Senior (65 & above) approximately 5,000 yards - 5,200 yards (gross & net)
**After the first round, each age division may be flighted based on the number of competitors and/or the range of scores.
- Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
- Age-group Champions at each event will receive a commemorative award. Gift certificates (totaling approximately $30 per-player in the field) will be awarded to the top finishers in each age group.
- All valid Florida GHIN Handicap Indexes used will be from 7 days prior to the championship start date
- Each player must have a valid Florida GHIN Handicap Index not exceeding 34.0
- Players will play to 95% of their course handicap
- It is the responsibility of any player that maintains a Handicap Index lower than her current Florida GHIN Handicap to inform the FSGA for resolution. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
Players will be pre-flighted based on individual handicaps. The overall Champions will be the individuals with the lowest 36-hole total gross score (regardless of flighting).
Generally, divisions of more than 14 individuals will be flighted, however the Committee reserves the right to flight based on the number of individuals and/or the range of individual handicaps or scores.
If there is a tie in any age division for the gross overall Champion, there will be a hole-by-hole sudden death playoff on a hole designated by the Committee to determine the Champions. All other ties will be broken by the modified USGA score card playoff. The tie breaker will be as follows:
- Final 18 holes
- Final nine holes, then final six, then final three holes and finally the 18th hole score
- If there is still a tie, a coin flip will determine the tie break
All Divisions will pay gross first, then net.
Monday, November 20th
- Round 1 - 8:00 AM Shotgun
Tuesday, November 21st
- Round 2 - 8:00 AM Shotgun
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
Practice Rounds & Cost
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the event on a space available basis and are restricted to after 12:00 PM on weekends. To arrange your practice round please call the club at 863-385-4830. The cost of a practice round is $45 plus tax.
There is currently no host hotel for this event.
Maximum Field Size
Individual events - 96 Players in foursomes