April 4-6, 2017
Bell, Daniell, & Pfrogner Claim Titles
Stormy weather rolled through Howey-in-the-Hills during round one causing a four-hour rain delay that tested the patience of the players. Despite the wet
conditions, two players in the 65-69 age division tied for the early lead at even par 72. Michael Bell, of Sarasota, and Berger Warner, of Ocala, led by two strokes over defending Champion, Robert Hess. There was a break through the clouds on Wednesday morning at Mission Inn Resort that seemed to help break the tie for first place. Bell, who was playing his first FSGA Championship, carded a second round 76 to slide into first by one stroke. Warner fell just short with a 77 while Robert Lundquist carded the round two low with a 74 to head into the final round in third place.
A birdie jump started the final round for Michael Bell who went on to card three more birdies and finish with an even par 72. A 220 tournament total earned Bell a four-stroke victory in his first FSGA Championship! Bell started the Championship with an even par round and finished with an even par round for his wire-to-wire win. Robert Lundquist, of Sanford, bettered his score each round to finish tied for second place with Berger Warner. Lundquist scored an impressive eagle on the par five 10th hole followed by two more birdies to finish with a 73. Warner shot a final round 75 to tie for second with a 224 tournament total. Three players, Jim Stone, Robert Hess, and William Everett, tied for fourth place with a 229 total.
The storms washed out round one for the 70-74 and 75 and over age divisions. Wednesday started round one of the Championship for the two age divisions. Thomas Austin, of Lake Wales, led the 70-74 division with a one over-par 73 but the leaderboard was tight behind him. Jim Carley and Thomas Jung tied for second two strokes away with Earl Daniell and Fred Gross tied for fourth place with a 76. Past 70-74 division Champion, Jim Pfrogner, stood in the lead after round one with a three over-par 75. Two strokes behind sat Joseph DeVita who was ready to chase the lead in the final round.
Earl Daniell, of Tallahassee, overcame a three stroke deficit to climb into first place in the 70-74 division. Daniell carded two birdies on the front nine and one birdie on the back nine to shoot a final round 74. A 65-69 age division Champion in 2013, Daniell, reigned victorious by one stroke with a 150 total. Thomas Austin struggled to a 78 in round two and finished in second place with a 151 total. In the 75 and over division, Jim Pfrogner, of Sarasota, went wire-to-wire to win by two strokes. Pfrogner finished with a 79 and 154 total. Tampa resident, Phil Leckey, shot four strokes better in round two to move from fifth to second place, 80-76—156.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|65-69 Age Division||6,283 yds. 70.5/131|
|70-74 Age Division||5,964 yds. 69.1/129|
|75 & Over Age Division||5,562 yds. 67.1/121|
|Windy, Stormy, 4 Hour Weather Delay, Wet||77 °F|
~ El Campeon Course~
Join us in a reunion of golfers 65 years of age and older competing in one of our most popular events. The Super-Senior Championship offers a competitive Championship environment for golfers in a stroke play scratch format with three different age divisions from three different sets of tees. Enjoy a player's dinner on the eve of the first round and lunch each day included in your entry fee. For a look at the 2016 Championship Results click here.
MIssion Inn is a historic resort in central Florida located northwest of Orlando in Howey-In-The-Hills. The rolling hills and elevation changes makes Mission Inn a great test of golf. The famed El Campeon course is celebrating its 100th year anniversary in 2017 and the resort is proud to host one of the state's largest championships.
- 54 holes of individual stroke play in the 65-69 Age Division
- 36 holes of individual stroke play in the 70-74 and 75 & Over Age Divisions
- Maximum 144 player field size
- Male amateur golfer
- At least 65 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
Ages 65-69 - 54 holes of stroke play (includes players' dinner and three lunches)
- $265 GHIN or Foundation Member
- $275 Non-GHIN Member
Ages 70 & Over - 36 holes of stroke play (includes players' dinner and two lunches)
- $210 GHIN or Foundation Member
- $220 Non-GHIN Member
Course Set-Up & Age Divisions
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
All players will be placed in the age division commensurate with their age as of the first day of the Championship.
Players may not play in multiple age divisions. The golf course will be set-up at approximately:
- Ages 65-69: 6,200-6,400 yards
- Ages 70-74: 5,900-6,100 yards
- Ages 75 & Over: 5,500-5,700 yards
Schedule of Events
Monday, April 3rd
- Practice rounds on your own, 1:30 PM Shotgun
- 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM - Cash bar at Mission Inn Resort
- 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM - Complimentary Players' Dinner
- Golf attire is acceptable
- Guests may attend for $20
Tuesday, April 4th
- Morning Wave (65-69) - Round one tee times begin at 8:00 AM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Afternoon Wave (70-74) and (75 & Over) - Round one tee times begin at 12:30 PM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Complimentary players' lunch
Wednesday, April 5th
- Morning Wave (70-74) and (75 & Over) - Round two tee times begin at 8:00 AM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Awards ceremony for 70-74 and 75 & Older Age Divisions immediately following the completion of play
- Afternoon Wave (65-69) - Round two tee times begin at 12:30 PM off of #1 and #10 tees
- Complimentary players' lunch
Thursday, April 6th
- Shotgun start at 8:30 AM
- Awards ceremony for 65-69 Age Division immediately following the completion of play
- Complimentary players' lunch
Practice rounds are available 10 days leading up to the Championship at the following times on a space available basis:
- Saturday-Friday, March 25-31, 2017 - anytime
- Saturday, April 1, 2017 - before 12:00 PM
- Sunday, April 2, 2017 - NO PRACTICE ROUNDS AVAILABLE
- Monday, April 3, 2017 - 1:30 PM Shotgun. Call club to put your name in.
The price for a practice round is $35 plus tax. Please call (352) 324-3885 to arrange your practice round. You may not book a practice round more than 7 days in advance.
Robert Hess, of Casselberry, posted 69-75-74--218 at Quail Ridge Country Club to win the 65-69 Age Division. The 70-74 Age Division was taken by Edward Craig, of Orlando, who shot 72-72-144. Capturing the 75 & Over Age Division was defending Champion, Ron Audi, of Ocala. Ron shot a 76-73-149, to enter a playoff that he ended with a birdie on the first hole. Results
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship (65-69 Age Division)
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Mission Inn Resort & Club accepts cash, Visa/MasterCard, and Amex as payment.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
The Hotel at Mission Inn is currently sold out. There are other options available in the area. Below is a suggested list and phone numbers, but the FSGA does not have any rates setup.
- Hampton Inn Mount Dora - 352-383-4267
- Hampton Inn Leesburg - 352-315-1053
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tavares/Leesburg - 352-742-1600
- Hampton Inn & Suites Clermont - 352-536-6600
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Clermont - 352-394-6585
Directions to Mission Inn Resort & Club
Mission Inn Resort & Club
10400 County Road 48
Howey-in-the-Hills, FL 34737