Super-Senior Amateur Match Play
June 4-7, 2018
Super-Senior Amateur Match Play
- Sugar Mill County Club, White/Red Courses - New Smyrna Beach
- Yardages and Ratings
- 65 & Over Division - 6,224 yds. 70.7/125
- 70-74 Division - 5,997 yds. 69.6/123
- 75 & Over Division - 5,643 yds. 68.1/120
NEW SMYRNA BEACH - You could feel the hot and humid air of summer in Florida during the inaugural Super-Senior Amateur Match Play. Sixty-one players across three divisions teed it up at Sugar Mill Country Club to test their stamina and skills in match play competition.
65 & Over Division
STROKE PLAY - Thirty seven players set out during Monday's Stroke Play Seeding round to battle for the top sixteen spots in the Championship bracket and play for the title. Bob Casamento and Bobby Lundquist tied for stroke play medalists with even par rounds of 72. A USGA score card match broke the tie, making Lundquist the first seed. Peter Gibbons, Rick Meli, and Nicholas Bogannam tied for 16th, forcing a play-off to determine the final two spots in the Championship bracket. The remaining 19 players were flighted into brackets of eight and one bracket of three.
PLAY-OFF- With the Florida heat came the typical afternoon storms, delaying the play-off nearly two hours for inclement weather. At one point, 435 lighting strikes had occurred within a ten mile radius of the golf course. When play resumed, Rick Meli birdied the first play-off hole, a par five, and quickly secured his place as the 15th seed. Nicholas Bogannam and Peter Gibbons continued onto the par four 11th hole where both players struggled on the green, three putting for bogey, to extend to a third and final hole. Nicholas Bogannam bogeyed hole 12, a par four, to take the 16th spot.
MATCH PLAY - On Tuesday morning, first seed Bobby Lundquist, of Sandford, won his match in the Round of 16, 9 & 8. An impressive feat. He was then eliminated during the quarter finals, 6 & 5 to Donald Staton. It was not the first or second seed who would eventually take the title, but rather the third seed, Bruce Scamehorn. Scamehorn, of Winter Haven, carded a one over-par, 73, during the stroke play seeding round. In the Round of 16, Scamehorn defeated the 14th seed, George Goldsmith, 5 & 4. In the quarterfinal match, he stuck his approach shot on hole 18 to an inch to win 1 up over Steve Boswell. He then went on to win the semifinal match on Wednesday against number seven seed, Pete McDade, 3 & 2. The number five seed, Tom Grady of Lakewood Ranch, won his first three matches 2 & 1, 2 up, and 1 up respectively to advance to Thursdays final match but Scamehorn was on a mission. He was three-under in Thursday's final match when he secured his first FSGA title since 2004, winning 6 & 5.
- First Flight Winner - John Latowski over Keith Keister in 19 holes
- Second Flight Winner - Terry Swartz over Bob Hinkle, 2 & 1
- Third Flight Winner - Gene Smith over Craig Pirrello, 5 & 3
Fourteen players were divided into a bracket of eight and six after stroke play seeding. Jim Mason, of Freeport, was the stroke play medalist after a score card match against Jack Ramsey, of Tennessee. Both players carded four over-par, 76, and took the top seeds in the Championship bracket. Mason won his first two matches 4 & 3 and 2 & 1 to advance to the Championship match against Ramsey. Ramsey won his first two matches 2 & 1 and in 20 holes. In the final match, Ramsey was 3 up through seven, but then lost his groove until making par on hole 12. Ramsey says this was the turning point in the match, and would eventually win 2 up.
- First Flight Winner - Shaun Donnellan over Brian Carroll, 2 up
75 & Over Division
Jerry Rodeheaver was the stroke play medalist in 75 & Over Division, carding a four over-par, 76. Players were seeded into a single bracket of eight players for Tuesday's quarterfinal matches. Bob Rogoff won the second flight by default, and did not compete in matches. Number two seed Jim DuBois, of Coral Springs, never saw the 18th hole after carding a 77 during Monday's seeding round. DuBois won the quarter and semifinal matches 6 & 5 and 3 & 2, made only one bogey, and was six under-par for all three matches. DuBois won the final match against number four seed, Walt Martin, 5 & 4.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Championship Division||6,224 yds. 70.7/125|
|70-74 Age Division||5,997 yds. 69.6/123|
|75 & Over Age Division||5,643 yds. 68.1/120|
|Hot, humid and breezy||92 °F|
New Expanded Format for 2018!
The Super-Senior Amateur Match Play is a great chance for the more experienced players in Florida to compete for a state Championship Title. This years event is being hosted by Sugar Mill Country Club in New Smyrna Beach. There are three divisions in the Championship; Championship Division (open to any players 65+), 70-74 Age Division, and 75 & Over Age Division.
- 18 holes of individual stroke play on Monday to determine match play seeds for all divisions as follows:
- Championship Division - low 16 players advance to the Championship bracket
- a tie for last qualifier's place will be decided immediately by a hole-by-hole playoff in the Championship bracket only.
- any players not making the Championship bracket, will be flighted into brackets of 8 based on seeding round score (USGA tie-break will be used)
- 70-74 Age Division and 75 & Over Age Division - players will be flighted into brackets of 8 based on seeding round score (USGA tie-break will be used)
- In the event of a tied match, the stipulated round is deemed to extend to as many holes as are required for a match to be won.
- All brackets are single elimination match play
- All players are guaranteed at least two rounds of golf (one stroke play and one match play)
Championship Field Size
- 84 players
- Male amateur golfer
- At least 65 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
- A valid USGA Handicap Index not exceeding 11.4
- $185 GHIN or Foundation Member
- $195 Non-GHIN Member
Entries are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until the field is full. Entries are then placed on an alternates list in order of receipt and contacted if, and when, a spot becomes available.
Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Course Set-Up & Age Divisions
All players will be placed in the age division commensurate with their age as of the first day of Championship (unless choosing to enter the Championship Division).
The course will be set-up at approximately:
- 6,100 - 6,300 yards - Championship Division (any player may choose to enter)
- 5,900 - 6,100 yards - 70-74 Age Division
- 5,500 - 5,700 yards - 75 & Over Age Division
Schedule of Events
Monday, June 4
- Stroke Play Seeding Round - 8:30 AM shotgun start.
- A tie for last qualifier's place will be decided immediately by a hole-by-hole playoff in the Championship Division only following completion of the stroke play round
- Complimentary players' lunch buffet in the main clubhouse
Tuesday, June 5
- 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM 1st & 10th tee start - Round of 16 Matches for Championship Division and Quarterfinal Matches for all other Divisions
- 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM - Quarterfinal Matches for Championship Division
Wednesday, June 6
8:00 AM - 9:45 AM - Semifinal Matches all Divisions
Thursday, June 7
- 8:00 AM - 8:48 AM - Final Matches all Divisions
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on the weekend. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call 386-426-5210 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
In the Super-Senior, Jerry Young defeated Bill Barnes 2 up to capture the 2017 Super-Senior Amateur Match Play Championship.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
Winner (Championship Division)
- Next Year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Hampton Inn & Suites - New Smyrna Beach
214 Flagler Avenue
New Smyrna Beach, FL
$116 per room, per night, pus tax. Group Code "FST" when booking through Hilton.com, or call (386) 898-9444 and reference "FSGA Room Block". Must book by 5/3/2018 to receive the discounted rate.
Sugar Mill Country Club accepts Cash, Visa/MasterCard and Amex only for payment.
Sugar Mill Country Club
150 Clubhouse Circle
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168