Super-Senior Amateur Match Play
June 3-6, 2019
Three Victorious at Super-Senior Match Play
Neil Christie | Jack Ramsey | Jim DuBois
SARASOTA, Fla. - In his first Florida State Golf Association championship, Neil Christie captured the Super-Senior Match Play Championship on Wednesday at The Founders Club. Jack Ramsey and Jim DuBois both earned their second-straight win at the championship, with Ramsey winning the 70-75 Division and DuBois taking the 75 & Over Division.
65 & Over Division
Forty-four players set out during Monday's stroke-play seeding round to battle for the top-sixteen spots in the Championship bracket and play for the title. Bill Barnes and Bobby Lundquist tied for stroke-play medalists with even-par 72. Jay Buck and Bob Hinkle, who were tied for 14th with three other players, survived a playoff to grab the final two match play spots.
On Tuesday morning, first seed Barnes defeated Buck, 6 & 5, in the Round of 16, before going on to close out his Quarterfinal match in the afternoon against John Latowski, 3 & 2. Lundquist, the second seed, defeated Hinkle, 1 up, in the Round of 16, but fell to Tom White, 4 & 2, in the afternoon.
The fourth and fifth seed players were both upset in the Round of 16, with Robert Karcher falling to Bruce Moskovciak, 3 & 2, while Tom Turner lost to the eventual champion, Christie, 4 &3. Christie went on to defeat Moskovciak, 3 & 2, in the Quarterfinals.
The semifinal matches saw Christie defeat Barnes, 4 & 3, while White prevailed over LaCrosse, 2 & 1. After a back and forth championship match, Christie prevailed in 19 holes to secure his first FSGA Championship.
Stephen Maddox was the stroke-play medalist, after carding a four over-par, 76, and took the top seeds in the Championship bracket. Maddox won his first two matches, 6 & 5 and 1 up to advance to the Championship match against Jack Ramsey. Ramsey won his first two matches 3 & 2 and 2 & 1 holes. Ramsey won his second-straight Super-Senior Match Play Championship with a 4 & 3 win.
75 & Over Division
Bob Rogoff was the stroke play medalist in 75 & Over Division, carding a four-over 76. Rogoff won his first match 4 & 3, before falling to Jim DuBois in the Semifinals. Walt Martin was victorious in his first two matches, before facing DuBois in the championship match. DuBois earned another Super-Senior Match Play Championship with a 4 & 3 win over Martin.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Championship Division||6,196 yds. 70.6/134|
|70-74 Age Division||6,012 yds. 69.5/132|
|75 & Over Age Division||5,666 yds. 68.0/129|
The Super-Senior Amateur Match Play is a great chance for the more experienced players in Florida to compete for a state Championship Title. This years event is being hosted by The Founders Club in Sarasota. There are three divisions in the Championship; Championship Division (open to any players 65+), 70-74 Age Division, and 75 & Over Age Division. To view past results form the Super-Senior Amateur Match Play Championship please click here.
- $185 GHIN or Foundation Member
- $195 Non-GHIN Member
Entries are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until the field is full. Entries are then placed on an alternates list in order of receipt and contacted if, and when, a spot becomes available.
Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
- 18 holes of individual stroke play on Monday to determine match play seeds for all divisions as follows:
- Championship Division - low 16 players advance to the Championship bracket
- a tie for last qualifier's place will be decided immediately by a hole-by-hole playoff in the Championship bracket only.
- any players not making the Championship bracket, will be flighted into brackets of 8 based on seeding round score (USGA tie-break will be used)
- 70-74 Age Division and 75 & Over Age Division - players will be flighted into brackets of 8 based on seeding round score (USGA tie-break will be used)
- In the event of a tied match, the stipulated round is deemed to extend to as many holes as are required for a match to be won.
- All brackets are single elimination match play
- All players are guaranteed at least two rounds of golf (one stroke play and one match play)
Championship Field Size
- 80 players
- Male amateur golfer
- At least 65 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
- A valid USGA Handicap Index not exceeding 11.4
Course Set-Up & Age Divisions
All players will be placed in the age division commensurate with their age as of the first day of Championship (unless choosing to enter the Championship Division).
The course will be set-up at approximately:
- 6,100 - 6,300 yards - Championship Division (any player may choose to enter)
- 5,900 - 6,100 yards - 70-74 Age Division
- 5,500 - 5,700 yards - 75 & Over Age Division
Schedule of Events
Monday, June 3
- Stroke Play Seeding Round - 8:30 AM shotgun start.
- A tie for last qualifier's place will be decided immediately by a hole-by-hole playoff in the Championship Division only following completion of the stroke play round
- Complimentary players' lunch buffet in the main clubhouse
Tuesday, June 4
- 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM 1st & 10th tee start - Round of 16 Matches for Championship Division and Quarterfinal Matches for all other Divisions
- 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM - Quarterfinal Matches for Championship Division
Wednesday, June 5
8:00 AM - 9:45 AM - Semifinal Matches all Divisions
Thursday, June 6
- 8:00 AM - 8:48 AM - Final Matches all Divisions
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on the weekend. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call 941-379-3701 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
In 2018, Bruce Scamehorn cruised to victory with a 6&5 win in the Championship Division final match. In the Age Division of 70-74, Jack Ramsey won his Championship Match 2 Up. In the third Division of players aged 75 & Over, Jim Dubois had an impressive match victory of 5&4.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
Winner (Championship Division)
- Next Year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
The Founders Club
3800 Golf Hall Drive
Sarasota, FL 34240