Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Championship (North)
June 1-2, 2019
TAMPA, Fla. – The Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Championships wrapped up on Sunday, with two sides being crowned championship in the North and South. TJ Shuart and Scott Turner were victorious in the south, while Ken Cocolin and Matthew Giovannelli captured the title for the north.
Shuart and Turner used an 18-under 126 for the championship to take first place. Following the first round at Eagle Creek Golf & Country Club, the pair was tied for the lead after carding an 8-under 64.
In Sunday’s final round, Shuart recorded eight birdies, including three-straight, and Turner posted two. They finished the day with the low-round of the tournament, 10-under 62.
This is the second-straight win for Shuart, who won the Mid-Amateur Championship in May, and his seventh career Florida State Golf Association victory. This is the first win for Turner since he captured the Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship last year.
Kevin Johnson and Kevin Kasprzyk took home second place, finishing the championship with a 15-under 129. Tied for third were the teams of James Weick Jr, & Baldonick Fernandez Sr. and Derek Hurwitch & Douglas Schneider at 13-under 131.
It took a playoff at World Wood Golf Club for Cocolin and Giovannelli to capture their first FSGA championship. The pair was tied for third after the first round, putting together a 7-under 65 on Saturday.
They fired another 7-under 65, with Cocolin carding three birdies and Giovannelli recording five birdies, in the final round to move in a tie at the top of the leaderboard with Daniel Debra and Don Whittemore.
A birdie on the first playoff hole propelled Cocolin and Giovannelli to the first FSGA championship for both players. Debra and Whittemore finished in second place, while Dustin Dingus and Mike Smith took third place with a 13-under 131.
Follow the FSGA:
The FSGA men's schedule continues with the Super-Senior Amateur Match lay Championship on June 3-6 at The Founders Club in Sarasota.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Mid-Am Four-Ball (N)||6,784 yds. 71.9/128|
|30 minute delay due to weather||95 °F|
Certain to test even the most accomplished player's shot-making ability, the Rolling Oaks Course at World Woods Golf Club will keep you on your toes with it's undulated greens. With Azalea bushes placed throughout the property, the golf course gives it's players a little taste of the famed Augusta National. The Mid-Amateur Four-Ball is a great event for two players 25 or older to team up and compete for a state championship. For a look at the Past Results click here.
- $320 per team GHIN or Foundation Members
- $340 per team Non-GHIN
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
- 36 holes of gross four-ball stroke play (no handicaps; commonly known as better-ball)
- The lowest team score for 36 holes will be the Champion
What is a Four-Ball? A four-ball is a two person team where the low score of the two players on each hole is counted. It is commonly referred to as best ball.
Championship Field Size
Maximum of 52 teams - 104 players
- Male amateur golfers
- At least 25 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Both entrants are required to be members of the FSGA
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,800 yards.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, June 1st
- 7:30 AM - 9:30 AM - Round One tee times off of #1 and #10
Sunday, June 2nd
- 9:00 AM - Shotgun
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
After 18 holes, the number of flights will be based on the number of teams and the range of scores.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on the weekend. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax per player. Please call 352-796-5500 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Teammates Devin Hernandez and Spencer Baldwin were crowned Champions at Lake Jovita Golf & CC. Hernandez/Baldwin won by one stroke with an impressive 126 (-18) total.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Current year's Four-Ball Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
World Woods Golf Club will accept payments of Cash, Visa, and MasterCard
World Woods Golf Club - Rolling Oaks
17590 Ponce De Leon Blvd.
Brooksville, FL 34614