Women's Net Championship
September 12-13, 2015
Breza Captures Win at Black Diamond
It was a rainy weekend for the state of Florida, but weather cooperated to get the first round of the Women’s Net Championship off and running with no delays on Tom Fazio’s beautiful Ranch course. The challenging greens and elevation changes did not seem to affect Kimberly Byle of Dunedin and Sandie St. Onge of Jensen Beach, who both posted a net four-under-par 68 and net two-under-par 70 respectively in the Middle Division.
In the Forward Division, red numbers seemed to be common, as both leaders Patricia Koneda of Summerfield and Pat Takacs of Clearwater recorded an impressive net seven-under-par 65. Charliene Lemon-Steiner of Sarasota trailed Koneda and Takacs by four shots to sit at third after round one.
A short thirty-minute weather delay for the final round was the only hiccup of the morning before players took to Fazio’s signature and stunning Quarry Course. Elizabeth Breza of Saint Augustine, who was five shots back from round one leader Byle, had a strong start by birdying her first hole of the day. Breza kept up this momentum throughout the rest of her round resulting in a net three-under-par 69 for her final round, two-under-par 142 total. The difficulty of the Quarry was shown throughout the field’s scores, but the first round’s top finishers Byle and St. Onge were able to hold on for a second and third place finish in the Middle Division.
Currently sitting in third place and only four shots back, Lemon-Steiner of the Forward Division knew that she needed to play strong around the Quarry course to catch up with round one co-leaders Koneda and Takacs. Keeping it consistent, her final round of net even-par 72 was enough to earn her the victory, posting a one-under-par 141 for the Championship. Jane Renninger of Dade City, who was tied for fourth place after the first round had a strong showing over the two days, posting a 71-75--146 to earn her second place. Koneda came in third for the Division with a three-over-par 147 for the tournament.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Middle Division||5,400 Approx.|
|Forward Division||4,900 Approx.|
~ Ranch & Quarry Courses ~
$160 per competitor
The second Women's Net Championship will be held at the prestigious Black Diamond Ranch Course in Lecanto. Enjoy the elevation changes, rolling fairways, and picturesque views that the Quarry and Ranch Course at Black Diamond have to offer. Join some of the top women amateurs for two days of net stroke play competition! For a look at the 2014 Championship Results click here.
- 36 holes of individual net stroke play (100% of handicap will be used)
- Maximum field of 84 players
- Two Divisions - Middle and Forward
- Must be a female amateur member of the FSGA.
- Female amateurs with a valid Florida GHIN Handicap Index of 34.0 or less.
- The handicap revision of September 1, 2015 will used to establish course handicaps
- All players will play to 100% of their course handicap
- Each player must have a valid Florida GHIN Handicap Index no higher than 34.0.
$160 - Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf, lunch after the final round, and gift certificates.
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
Divisions and Approximate Yardages
Players must select which Division they wish to compete in upon entry.
- Middle Division - 5,400 yards approx. (Net Only)
- Forward Division - 4,900 yards approx. (Net Only)
The Championship Committee reserves the right to move any player out of the Forward Division if her handicap is significantly lower than the majority of the competitors in the division, and her scoring history does not reflect the need to play from the Forward Division yardage. Players will then be placed into the Middle Division.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, September 12th
- 7:00 AM - 8:10 AM – Tournament Registration (located near pro shop)
- 8:30 AM - Shotgun Start (Ranch Course)
Sunday, September 13th
- 8:30 AM – Final Round Shotgun (Quarry Course)
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM (approx.) – Player's Awards luncheon - Included with entry fee
The Middle and Forward Divisions will likely be pre-flighted based on individual handicaps.
Generally, divisions of more than 10 individuals will be flighted, however the Committee reserves the right to flight based on the number of individuals and/or the range of handicaps.
Practice Between Rounds
The Championship Committee is permitting practice on any competition course or part of any course remaining to be played between rounds of the Championship. As a result, competitors are allowed to play a practice round on the course remaining to be played after the first round. (Note to Rule 7-1)
All Divisions - Ties for first place in each flight of the Middle and Forward Divisions will be broken by a modified USGA tie break method. The final day 18 hole net respective score will be used to determine the first place individual. If there is still a tie, the final 9 holes of the last day (holes #10-18) will be used to determine the winner. If there is still a tie, the final 6 holes are used; then if needed the final 3 holes; then the final hole; then by lot (i.e. a coin flip). For purposes of a tie break, the last 9 holes will be considered holes 10-18, the last 6 holes will be holes 13-18, the last 3 holes will be holes 16-18 and the last hole will be hole 18.
- All valid Florida GHIN Handicap Indexes used will be from the September 1st, 2015 revision.
- Each player must have a valid Florida GHIN Handicap Index no higher than 34.0.
- Players will play to 100% of their course handicap.
Practice rounds are available six days prior to the event on a space available basis. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call (352) 234-8080 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Black Diamond Ranch
Black Diamond Ranch is composed of two different but memorable golf courses designed by Tom Fazio. The Quarry Course is a breathtakingly scenic course that is cut into canyon walls with dramatic elevation changes. The Ranch Course is a picturesque course with lush, rolling fairways that wind through oak and pine trees. Both courses will impress you with beautiful layouts and many opportunities for great shot-making.
In 2014, the Women's Net Championship was held at Orchid Island Golf & Beach Club where three women earned victories. In the Middle Division First Flight, Christine Martin and Debbie Mook-Sang were tied for first place with a tournament total 148. After a USGA modified tie break, Christine Martin was crowned Champion. In the Middle Division Second Flight, Monica Mondozzi won by one stroke over Connie Rummel. Kay Waltman was Champion of the Forward Division with the only under par tournament total of 141.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
The FSGA has arranged group rates:
Hampton Inn - Crystal River (approximately a 10 minute drive from Black Diamond on US 19 near downtown Crystal River)
$109 per room, per night.
Click here to book online.
***Must book by August 28th!
The Plantation Inn - Crystal River (approximately a 8 minute drive, on US 19)
$109 - Gardenview Room
$129 - Waterview Room
***rates are per room, per night plus tax.
Call 800-632-6262 and reference FSGA Championship to book.
Black Diamond Ranch accepts Cash, Visa/MasterCard, and American Express
- Spectator and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - If a player employs a caddie, the caddie MUST walk and player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Directions to Black Diamond Ranch
3125 W. Black Diamond Circle
Lecanto, FL 34461