Amateur Match Play Championship
August 2-5, 2018
Nicholas Gabrelick Becomes the Youngest Match Play Champion
Stroke Play Seeding Round
The 27th Amateur Match Play Championship began today as 63 of Florida's finest amateur golfers teed it up at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club in Ocala. The stroke play seeding round ended with Joe Alfieri, of Lutz, stealing medalist honors for the Round of 64 Match Play.
2001 Amateur Match Play Champion and four-time FSGA Player of Year, Joe Alfieri, seized the number one seed after a three under-par round of 69. Alfieri finished with an impressive scorecard filled with all pars and three birdies. Finishing as the second seed, one stroke behind, was Christopher Carlin. Carlin, who was crowned Champion in 2016, carded a stroke play round of 70. Four players, Nicholas Gabrelcik, Nilo Sanchez, Colin Kresl, and Manuel Girona, tied for third place at one under-par equaling six under-par rounds on the day. Past Champion in 2015, T J Shuart, posted an even par round to finish as a low seed heading into match play. Last year’s stroke play medalist, Dustin Dingus, finished as a higher seed with a round of 82.
The Round of 64 matches begin Friday morning followed by the Round of 32 in the afternoon. Joe Alfieri will start with a first round bye and play the Round of 32 in the afternoon. With a competitive match play bracket set, it'll be a race to the finish for the title of the 27th Amateur Match Play Champion.
Tough competitors, and the number one, two, and three seeds, advanced through the rounds. Joe Alfieri, Christopher Carlin, and Manuel Girona were playing strong hoping to steal the Championship victory. Exciting matches on Saturday defined the remaining four players to face off on Sunday to crown the Champion. Joe Alfieri, who did not have a match reach the 17th hole, would face Trevor Hulbert, who defeated the hot Josh Pisarri. David Morgan reached the semifinals after earning a win over Carlin on the 18th hole by sinking a 20-foot birdie putt. Nicholas Gabrelcik would go head to head with David Morgan in the semifinals. Gabrelcik advanced to Sunday after halving the 18th hole against Manny Girona in the Quarterfinals.
Number 36 seed, Trevor Hulbert, overcame the strong competitor Joe Alfieri, 3 & 2 to reach the Final match. Nicholas Gabrelcik, of Trinity, continued on his winning streak, defeating Morgan 3 & 2, and would face Hulbert in the final. Hulbert and Gabrelcik played steady golf in the first nine holes of the final match. Both players made the turn all square after Hulbert, of Orlando, was one down over the first three holes. On the 15th hole, Gabrelcik moved to one-up in the match with a par and finally sealed his victory with a birdie on the par five 18th hole. Gabrelcik, who is nearly 16 years old, has committed to playing on the men’s golf team at the University of North Florida and is the youngest Amateur Match Play Champion in the history of the event.
Match Play Bracket
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Back Tees||7,063 yds. 74.2 / 138|
|Warm with light winds||88 °F|
The 27th Amateur Match Play Championship is an exciting event that utilizes golf's original match play format. There are six qualifiers slated throughout the state to provide players the opportunity to qualify for this prestigious Championship held at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club in Ocala. Golden Ocala is renowned for its beautiful design and its eight masterfully recreated tribute holes from Augusta National, Royal Troon, Baltusrol, Murfield Village, and St. Andrews.. For a look at the 2017 Championship Results click here.
Championship Format & Seeding
- 18 holes of individual stroke play to determine seeds for match play.
- For purposes of determining places in the draw, ties in qualifying rounds will be decided by a blind draw.
- In the event of a tied match, the stipulated round is deemed to extend to as many holes as are required for a match to be won.
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 64 players
- Male amateur golfer
- A valid USGA Handicap Index not exceeding 11.4
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
- July 9 - Marsh Creek Country Club, Saint Augustine
- July 16 - Blackstone Golf Course, Defuniak Springs
- July 16 - The Falls Club of The Palm Beaches, Lake Worth
- July 17 - Orange County National, Winter Garden
- July 19 - Fox Hollow Golf Club, Trinity
- July 21 - Old Corkscrew Golf Club, Estero
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee|| Exempt Fee
- Qualifying Fee: Qualifying Fee includes entry fee and cart fee.
- Championship Fee: Fee paid by those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying. Includes tee gifts and gift certificates, course and cart fees, range balls for each competitive round.
- Exempt Fee: Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption.
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the qualifying field.
Those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying must pre-register and remit an additional $125 online at the FSGA website at www.fsga.org. Payment must be received by Friday, July 27 by 3:30 pm, or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship. Championship Fee includes cart fees for all competitive rounds.
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Refunds, Notice of Withdrawals
Requests for qualifying entry refunds received prior to entry closing date will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). Requests received after the closing date will be honored (less 50% of entry fee). No requests will be honored within two days of the scheduled start date.
Requests for refunds of Exempt or Championship fees prior to the pre-registration deadline will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). No requests will be honored after the pre-registration deadline.
- The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,900-7,200 yards.
Schedule of Events
Thursday, August 2nd
- 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM - Stroke Play Seeding Round off #1 and #10 tees
Friday, August 3rd
- 8:00 AM - 9:45 AM - Match Play Round of 64 off #1 & #10 tees
- 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM - Match Play Round of 32 off #1 tee
Saturday, August 4th
- 8:00 AM - 8:56 - Match Play Round of 16 off tee #1
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM - Match Play Quarterfinals off #1 tee
Sunday, August 5th
- 8:00 AM - 8:15 AM - Match Play Semifinals off #1 tee
- 12:00 PM - Match Play Final off #1 tee
- 18 holes stroke play at 6 qualifying sites.
- During qualifying, each player must use a golf cart.
- Players are responsible for cart fees for all practices rounds.
Jacob Huizinga already had wins at the State Amateur Championship and Four-Ball Championship on his resume entering the Match Play Championship. Huizinga started match play as the 7th seed and then narrowly worked his way to the finals with three wins of just 1up and two wins of 3 & 2. In the final match Huzinga had a 3up lead through 12 holes and then Ricky Hendler made three straight birdies to square the match. The duo needed extra holes to decide the championship and Huizinga won on the 22nd hole giving him his third FSGA major title. Results
Carts are included for all competitive rounds of the Championship. Players are responsible for practice round cart fees.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on the weekend. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call 352-671-3933 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Players in the following categories will be eligible for exemption provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements:
NOTE: Blank entries will be filed by the FSGA for players who become exempt after the close of entries.
- Last three year's Amateur Match Play Champions
- Last year's Amateur Match Play Semifinalists
- Last year's Amateur Player of the Year
- Last three year's Amateur Champions
- Current year's top five and tied Amateur Championship finishers
- Current and last two year's Mid-Amateur Champions
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship Semifinalists
- Last year's Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Champion
- Last year's Junior Amateur Player of the Year
- Last year's Junior Amateur Match Play Champion (16-18 Age Division)
- Last year's Mid-Senior Champion
- Current year's Amateur Public Links Champion
- Last year's Florida Open Low Amateur
- Current and last year's Boys' Junior Champions (16-18 Age Division)
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next three Amateur Match Play Championships
- Next year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Next year's Florida Open
- Next year's Amateur Match Play Championship
- Next year's Amateur Championship
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Fairfield Inn & Suites Ocala
$89 per room, per night plus tax. Click here to book online.
Golden Ocala accepts cash, Visa, MasterCard, and Amex as forms of payment.
Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club
8300 NW 31st Lane Road
Ocala, FL 34482