Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship
October 11-13, 2019
Hopkins Victorious at 11th Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship
SARASOTA, Fla. – Devon Hopkins raised the trophy on Sunday at the Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship at Sara Bay Country Club in Sarasota, Fla. He fired a final-round 4-under 68 to capture the 4-shot victory.
“It means a lot. It shows I can play under pressure and pull it off down the stretch, which is pretty fun,” Hopkins said.
Hopkins, who began the day in a tie for second place, had a slow start to the round, playing the first five holes at 2-over. He settled in after that and birdied four of his next six holes to move into first place at 7-under.
The Jacksonville Beach native had a strong finish to the round, birding the final two holes, to finish the championship at 9-under 207. His second-round 6-under 66 was the low round of the tournament.
“I told myself all year that I could win, and I never really pulled it off. I had a good season and a couple good qualifiers, but it’s nice to wrap it up in a bow and put some icing on the cake,” Hopkins said.
David Taylor took home second place with a 5-under 211. Taylor, who held the third-round lead, finished the front nine at 2-over. He played steady golf on the back and finished the day with a birdie on the 18th hole.
RJ Nakashian secured a third-place finish at 4-under 212. The Palm Beach Gardens native birdied the final three holes to finish the day at 2-under 70. He was the only player in the field to shoot even-par or better in all three rounds, 72-70-70.
Marc France, Paul Royak and Pete Williams all finished tied for fourth at 3-under 213.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Round 1||6,790 yds. 73.0 / 131|
|Round 2||6,870 yds. 73.3 / 132|
|Round 3||6,820 yds. 73.1 / 131|
|Less Breeze, Overcast PM||81 °F|
|Light Winds||90 °F|
Format: 54 holes of gross stroke play
Eligibility: FSGA member at least 25 years of age
Entry Fee: $190 / $200
Sara Bay Country Club is hosting the 2019 Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship. Players 25 years and older will compete in a Championship environment without having to compete with juniors and collegiate players. Sara Bay Country Club is a beautifully designed Donald Ross course, with greens that closely mirror the greens of Pinehurst No.2. Sara Bay has always been seen as one of the best manicured courses in the state, and continues to preserve the course as Ross left it. For a look at the full Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship results click here!
- 54 holes of individual gross stroke play (no handicaps)
- The field will be cut to the low 60 and ties after thirty-six holes
- Male amateur golfer
- At least 25 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
- Maximum of 156 players
- $190 GHIN or Foundation Member
- $200 Non-GHIN Member
- Late entries will be accepted, first come, first served and subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Friday, October 11th
8:00 AM - 9:45 AM - Round One morning tee times off of tee #1 and #10
12:30 PM - 2:18 PM - Round One afternoon tee times off of tee #1 and #10
Saturday, October 12th
- 8:00 AM - 9:45 AM - Round Two morning tee times off of tee #1 and #10
12:30 PM - 2:18 PM - Round Two afternoon tee times off of tee #1 and #10
Field will be cut to low 60 players and ties after play finishes
Sunday, October 13th
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM Final Round tee times begin off of tee #1 and #10
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,800 - 7,000 yards.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on the weekend. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call 941-355-6544 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
Scott Turner captured the 2018 Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship in runaway fashion at The Seagate Country Club in Delray Beach. Turner rolled into the weekend on a mission as he shot a (-4) round of 68 on Saturday, followed up by a (-5) round of 67 to end the Championship. Turner finished with a three day total of 69-68-67--204, to win the 2018 Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship by 6 shots. Click here for the 2018 results.
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
Next year's Amateur Match Play Championship
Next year's Florida Open Championship
Top three & ties
Next year's Amateur Championship
Next year's Mid-Amateur Championship
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Click here to view hotel options in area.Payment
Sara Bay Country Club accepts cash, Visa, MasterCard, and Amex as forms of payment.
Sara Bay Country Club
7011 Willow Street
Sarasota, FL 34243