June 25-28, 2015
Jones Wins 98th Amateur
Jimmy Jones headed into the final round of the Championship in second place, one stroke behind Cristobal Del Solar, of Tallahassee. The two players faced off in the same pairing, which made for an exciting final round. Jones birdied holes three and four but could not jump ahead of Del Solar who birdied holes four and five to move to 12 under-par. Cristobal faltered with two double-bogeys on holes six and eight, pushing him back to eight-under par. Jones remained steady on the front-nine, which propelled him into first place at eleven-under par, three ahead of Del Solar going into the back-nine.
Del Solar, who loves competition, fought back with three straight birdies on holes 10 through 12. Jones struggled with two bogeys on holes 10 and 12. Cristobal picked up one more stroke after a birdie on hole 14 and was three-up with three holes to play. After two disappointing bogeys on holes 16 and 17, Del Solar walked to the 18th hole at 10-under par. He was one stroke ahead of Jones, which was exactly how the day started. Jones hit his second shot on number 18 into the green-side bunker. He nearly made his bunker shot, leaving himself with a tap in birdie. Del Solar pitched his third shot to the fringe and had to make his next shot to clinch victory. Cristobal missed his chip shot and made a four-foot putt for par forcing a playoff.
Number 18 served as the first playoff hole where both players birdied to move on to number 10. Jones hit the par four in regulation leaving him a 30 foot birdie putt. Del Solar flew his second shot to the fringe at the back of the green and putted down to eight-feet. Jones nearly made his long putt, marked his ball and waited for Cristobal to putt for par. Del Solar missed his putt and Jones sunk his par putt to win the 98th Amateur Championship!
Chandler Blanchet finished alone in third place at four-under par after rounds of 69-72-70-73—284. Michael DeMorat and Ryan Orr tied for fourth place at three-under par, 285. The top fifteen plus ties receive an exemption into next year’s Florida State Amateur Championship. Started in 1914, the FSGA State Amateur is the oldest continuous sporting event in the state as well as the largest amateur event in Florida. Past Amateur champions include Bob Murphy, Jerry Pate, and PGA Tour players David Peoples, Chris Couch, and Barry Cheesman.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Golden Ocala||6,975 yds. 74.2 / 140|
|Ocala National||7,364 yds. 75.9 / 141|
|Hot and Weather Delayed||93 °F|
|Hot and Humid||92 °F|
|Hot and Humid||93 °F|
|Warm with Scattered Clouds||91 °F|
Entries Close Wednesday, May 13, 2015
The 98th State Amateur Championship is one of the oldest and most prestigious amateur golf championships in the country. This year the Amateur goes to the majestic Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club and Ocala National Golf Club. Golden Ocala includes eight recreated tribute holes from the world's finest courses, such as Augusta and St. Andrews. Ocala National Golf Club is a challenging championship style layout located across the street from Golden Ocala.
The Amateur Championship has a rich history dating back to 1913 with A.C. Ulmer winning the first of four titles. Other past champions include: Carl Dann Jr. (5 time champion & Hall of Fame inductee), Don Bisplinghoff (4 time champion & Hall of Fame inductee), Bob Murphy, Doug Sanders, Gary Koch, Jerry Pate, Buddy Alexander, and Blayne Barber.
- 72 holes of individual gross stroke play
- All players play 18 holes at Golden Ocala and 18 holes at Ocala National before the 36-hole cut
- The field is split between the two courses for rounds one and two and they switch courses for round two
- The field will be cut to the low 70 and ties after 36 holes
- The final 36 holes will be played at Golden Ocala
If necessary, there will be a hole-by-hole sudden "sudden death" play-off for the Championship. It is the player's responsibility to be present for any playoff.
Open to amateur golfers who must be:
- A resident of Florida (reside in Florida at least 4 months per year, have otherwise established legal residency or graduated from a Florida high school and presently attending an out-of-state college) See complete eligibility requirements here
- A military personnel or a dependent of a military personnel based in Florida on active duty
- Must have a handicap no higher than 11.4
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee|| Exempt Fee
- Qualifying Fee: Qualifying Fee includes entry fee, course and cart fees, and range balls..
- Championship Fee: Fee paid by those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying. Includes tee gifts and gift certificates, course and cart fees, and range balls.
- Exempt Fee: Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption.
Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying must pre-register and remit an additional $135 either online at the FSGA website at www.fsga.org or by check to the FSGA office for advance payment of Championship Fees. Payment must be received by Wednesday, June 17th by 3:30 pm, or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship. Championship Fee includes cart fees for all competitive rounds.
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Refunds, Notice of Withdrawals
Requests for qualifying entry refunds received prior to entry closing date will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). Requests received after the closing date will be honored (less 50% of entry fee). No requests will be honored within 48 hours of the first scheduled tee time.
Requests for refunds of Exempt or Championship fees prior to the pre-registration deadline will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). No requests will be honored after the pre-registration deadline.
Schedule of Events
Thursday, June 25th
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Round One tee times off of #1 and #10 at Golden Ocala
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Round One tee times off of #1 and #10 at Ocala National
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Round Two tee times off of #1 and #10 at Golden Ocala
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Round Two tee times off of #1 and #10 at Ocala National
- After the completion of play the field will be cut to low 70 players and ties
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM Round Three tee times off of #1 and #10 at Golden Ocala
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM Final Round tee times off of #1 and #10 at Golden Ocala
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
Championship Field Size
Maximum field of 168 players
The golf courses will be set-up at approximately 6,900-7,300 yards.
18 holes stroke play at 14 qualifying sites. During qualifying, each player must use a golf cart. Caddies are acceptable, but he/she may not ride in a golf cart or carry the player's clubs. Players are responsible for cart fees for all practice rounds. Click here for the qualifying sites.
Gabriel Lench won the 2014 Florida State Amateur Championship by firing a six-under par 282 at Quail Valley Golf Club and Hawks Nest Golf Club in Vero Beach. Lench clenched the victory by two strokes over Jacob Kline and was crowned the 97th State Amateur Champion.
During qualifying and the Championship proper, each player must use a golf cart which is included in the qualifying and championship entry fees.
Qualifying Practice Round Cart Fees
Players must pay for practice round cart fees at qualifying sites and at the Championship.
Championship Practice Rounds and Practice Facility
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship on a space available basis and after 12:00 PM the weekend prior. The cost of the practice round, including range balls and cart, is $30 plus tax. Only exempt and qualifying participants may play practice rounds. Alternates are not extended practice privileges. Please call 352 671-3933 for Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club and 352-629-7980 for Ocala National Golf Club to schedule a practice round.
Players in the following categories will be eligible for exemption provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements:
NOTE: Blank entries will be filed by the FSGA for players who become exempt after the close of entries.
- Previous Amateur Champions
- Top 200 and tied from last year's final World Amateur Golf Rankings
- Top 15 and tied from last year's Amateur Championship
- Top 20 and tied from last year's final Player of the Year Points List
- Last year's Boys Junior Champion (16-18 Age Division)
- Last year's Boys Junior Champion (13-15 Age Division)
- Last year's Amateur Match Play Champion
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Champion
- Current year's Amateur Public Links Champion
- Last year's Mid-Senior Champion
- Current year's Senior Amateur Champion
- Last three year's Mid-Amateur Champions
- Last year's Mid-Amateur Championship Semifinalists
- Last year's Florida Open Low Amateur
- Last year's Junior Player of the Year
- Current year's final Winter Series Mid-Senior (40-54) Points Leader
- Last year's FHSAA Boys Class 1A Individual Champion
- Last year's FHSAA Boys Class 2A Individual Champion
- Last year's FHSAA Boys Class 3A Individual Champion
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Lifetime Amateur Championship
- Next five Mid-Amateur Championships
- Next three Amateur Match Play Championships
- Next two Florida Open Championships
Top five and tied finishers
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Current year's Amateur Match Play Championship
- Next year's Florida Open
Top fifteen and tied finishers
- Next year's Amateur Championship
Player's making the cut
- Next year's Boys' Junior Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - If a player employs a caddie, the caddie MUST walk and player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Courtyard by Marriott - Ocala
3712 Southwest 38th Avenue
Ocala, FL 34474
Residence Inn by Marriott - Ocala
3610 SW 38th Ave
Ocala, FL 34474
Both hotels - $89 plus tax per room per night, Single/Double Occupancy
Identify yourself as a Florida State Golf Association Competitor when calling.
Click here to book Courtyard online!
Click here to book Residence Inn online!
Book by June 18th to Guarantee Room Rate!
Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club accepts Visa/MasterCard and American Express as forms of payment. Golden Ocala does not accept cash.
Ocala National Golf Club accepts cash, and major credit cards.
Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club
8300 NW 31st Lane Road
Ocala, FL 34482
Ocala National Golf Club
4782 NW 80th Avenue
Ocala, FL 34482