Winter Series - Country Club of Ocala
February 1-2, 2021
Three Earn Winter Series Win at CC of Ocala
OCALA, Fla. – The 2020-21 Winter Series season continues this week at the Country Club of Ocala. Troy Vannucci took home the win the Mid-Amateur Division on Tuesday, while Steve Pitts was victorious in the Senior Division. Bobby Lundquist captured the victory in the Super-Senior Division.
Vannucci secured his first Winter Series event in commanding fashion, posting a 2-over 146 to capture the 10-shot victory in the Mid-Amateur Division. He opened the tournament with a first-round 72 on Monday to take a share of the first-round lead. His even-par 72 was the low round of the week in Ocala.
The Palm Coast resident used a final-round 74 to take home the victory. Chester VandenBerg picked up another top Winter Series finish, carding a 12-over 156 to take second place. Scott Blackshear finished one shot back of VandenBerg in third place at 13-over 157.
Pitts survived a playoff to take the win in the Senior Division. He began the championship with a 3-over 75 to sit three shots back of Allen Peake, who held the first-round lead.
Pitts used a final-round 75 to finish the day in a tie for first with Peake at 6-over 150. He secured the win with a birdie on the first playoff hole. Peake took home the runner-up finish, carding the low round of the division in Monday’s first round (72).
Jerry Nick finished third at 8-over 152.
Lundquist picked up his third Winter Series win of the season with a 5-over 149 to take home the four-shot victory in the Super-Senior Division. The Sanford native used a first-round 75 to take a share of the lead after Monday’s first round.
He used a 2-over 74 on Sunday to secure the victory. Robert Cunningham took home a second-place finish at 9-over 153, while Tom Grady finished one shot back of Cunningham in third place at 10-over 154.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Mid-Amateur||6814 yds., 73.6/139|
|Senior||6385 yds., 71.9/136|
|Super-Senior||6057 yds., 71.6/132|
|Cold & Windy||48 °F|
Format: 36-holes of gross stroke play
Eligibility: FSGA Adult Member at least 25 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN 10.0 or less
Age Divisions: Mid-Amateur, Senior & Super-Senior
Entry Fee: $160
- 36 holes of individual gross stroke play (no handicaps)
- Entries are open to male amateur golfers who are age 25 or older as of March 10, 2021
- Entrant must be a Regular or Foundation Member of the FSGA
- Entrant must have an active Florida GHIN Handicap and have a current handicap index of 10.0 or lower.
There are three age divisions; Mid-Amateur (25-54), Senior (55-64) and Super-Senior (65 & above). Each player must compete in the age division commensurate with their age as of March 10, 2021. Competitors may not elect to play in a different age division or from a different tee than designated.
- Mid-Amateur (25-54) plays approximately 6,700 yards
- Senior (55-64) plays approximately 6,400 yards
- Super-Senior (65 & above) approximately 6,100 yards
**After the first round, each age division may be flighted based on the number of competitors and/or the range of scores.
- Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
- Age-group Champions at each event will receive a commemorative award. Gift certificates (totaling approximately $30 per-player in the field) will be awarded to the top finishers in each age group.
Monday, February 1st
- Round 1 - 10:30 AM 1st & 10th Tee Start
Tuesday, February 2nd
- Round 2 - 8:30 AM Shotgun
Practice Rounds & Cost
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the event on a space available basis and are restricted to after 12:00 PM on weekends. To arrange your practice round please call the club at 352-237-6644. The cost of a practice round is $40 plus tax.
There is currently no host hotel for this event.
Maximum Field Size
Individual events - TBD due to carts