August 23-25, 2019
SARASOTA, Fla. – It took a couple extra holes, but Joe Alfieri was crowned the Mid-Senior Champion. The Lutz native defeated Daniel Owen in a two-hole playoff to raise the trophy on Sunday at Laurel Oak Country Club.
Alfieri was in first place heading into Sunday’s final round, with a three-stroke lead over the field.
He ran into some trouble to start the day, bogeying back-to-back holes to fall into a tie for first place.
The four-time Florida State Golf Association Player of the Year, finished off his front nine with a birdie on the eighth.
He birdied two of this first four holes on the back to move to 9-under for the championship. He added one more birdie on the back nine to head to the final hole at 10-under with a two-shot lead over Daniel Owen and Owen Joyner at 8-under.
Alfieri bogeyed the final hole, while Owen’s birdie on the 18th forced a playoff, both players finishing at 9-under 207.
Owen had a rough start to the round with a double bogey on the first hole. He bounced back quick, playing the rest of the round bogey-free. The Ocala native carded two birdies on the front nine and added four on the back nine, including two-straight birdies to finish the round. He posted a final-round 4-under 68, the low round of the day.
After both players made par on the first playoff hole, Alfieri and Owen headed to the par-5 17th hole. Owen missed his birdie putt and tapped in for par, while Alfieri rolled in a 10-foot putt for birdie to secure the championship.
This was Alfieri’s seventh FSGA Championship win and his first Mid-Senior Championship victory. He and Owen were the only two players in the field to post three under-par rounds for the championship.
Joyner took home a third-place finish, posting a 5-under 211 for the championship, while Mike Riley finished in fourth place at 3-under 213.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Jones Course||6,523 yds. 72.3/143|
|Player Course||6,605 yds. 72.2/134|
|Light Breeze||91 °F|
The Mid-Senior Championship provides players 40 years and older a Championship environment without having to compete with juniors and collegiate players. Competitors can use the Championship for either a road trip with the guys or a weekend away with a spouse. For a look at the Past Championship Results click here.
- $190 GHIN Members or Foundation Member
- $200 Non-GHIN Members
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field
- 54 holes of individual stroke play (gross, no handicaps will be used)
- All players play eighteen holes each on the Player & Jones Course
- The field will be cut to the low 60 and ties after 36 holes
- The final eighteen holes will be played on Jones Course
- The lowest score for fifty-four holes will be the Champion
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 156 players
- Male amateur golfer
- 10.0 Handicap Index or lower
- At least 40 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
Schedule of Events
Friday, August 23rd
- 7:30 AM - 9:27 AM - Round One tee times off of #1 & #10 (Player & Jones Course)
Saturday, August 24th
- 7:30 AM - 9:27 AM - Round Two tee times off of #1 & #10 (Player & Jones Course)
- After the completion of play the field will be cut to the low 60 players and ties
Sunday, August 25th
- 7:30 AM - 9:27 AM - Final Round tee times begin off of #1 and #10 (Jones Course)
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
The golf courses will be set-up at approximately 6,600 - 6,800 yards.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
Practice rounds are now available for booking, with these restrictions:
- Player Course Available
- Monday, July 15th - Sunday, August 4th
- Thursday, August 22nd
- Jones Course Available
- Monday, June 17th - Sunday, July 14th
- Monday, August 5th - Wednesday, August 21st
- Thursday, August 22nd
The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call 941-378-3600 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
The 2018 Mid-Senior Championship, was great as it came down to the wire on Sunday at Disney's Palm Course. At the top of the crowded leaderboard was Miles McConnell of Tampa, who ultimately captured his first State Championship with the win. McConnell shot an impressive three round total of 65-70-67--202, and came out 1 shot ahead. Full Championship results here.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Next year's Amateur Championship
- Next year's Amateur Match Play Championship
Top thirty and tied finishers
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Click here to view booking information.
Laurel Oak Country Club accepts all credit cards as forms of payment.
Laurel Oak Country Club
2700 Gary Player Blvd
Sarasota, FL 34240