Amateur Match Play Championship
August 1-4, 2019
Entries Close: Wednesday, July 3rd at 11:30 PM
The 28th Amateur Match Play Championship is an exciting event that utilizes golf's original match play format. There are six qualifiers slated throughout the state to provide players the opportunity to qualify for this prestigious Championship held at Old Marsh Golf Club, in Palm Beach Gardens. The Pete Dye design has previously hosted the FSGA Mid-Amateur Championship and been a site for numerous other USGA qualifiers and Palm Beach County Golf Association Events. For a look at the past results of the Amateur Match Play click here.
Championship Format & Seeding
- 18 holes of individual stroke play to determine seeds for match play.
- For purposes of determining places in the draw, ties in qualifying rounds will be decided by a blind draw.
- In the event of a tied match, the stipulated round is deemed to extend to as many holes as are required for a match to be won.
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 64 players
- Male amateur golfer
- A valid USGA Handicap Index not exceeding 11.4
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee|| Exempt Fee
- Qualifying Fee: Qualifying Fee includes entry fee and cart fee.
- Championship Fee: Fee paid by those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying. Includes tee gifts and gift certificates, course and cart fees, range balls for each competitive round.
- Exempt Fee: Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption.
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the qualifying field.
Those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying must pre-register and remit an additional $125 online at the FSGA website at www.fsga.org. Payment must be received by Friday, July 26 by 3:30 pm, or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship. Championship Fee includes cart fees for all competitive rounds.
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Refunds, Notice of Withdrawals
Qualifying Entry Fees - Requests for qualifying entry refunds received prior to entry closing date will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). Requests received after the closing date will be honored (less 50% of entry fee). No requests will be honored within two days of the scheduled start date of the qualifier.
Championship Fees & Exempt Entry Fees - Requests for refunds of Exempt or Championship fees prior to the pre-registration deadline will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). No requests will be honored after the pre-registration deadline (See pre-registration date displayed on this page).
- The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,900-7,200 yards.
Schedule of Events
Thursday, August 1st
- 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM - Stroke Play Seeding Round off #1 and #10 tees
Friday, August 2nd
- 8:00 AM - 9:45 AM - Match Play Round of 64 off #1 & #10 tees
- 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM - Match Play Round of 32 off #1 tee
Saturday, August 3rd
- 8:00 AM - 8:56 - Match Play Round of 16 off tee #1
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM - Match Play Quarterfinals off #1 tee
Sunday, August 4th
- 8:00 AM - 8:15 AM - Match Play Semifinals off #1 tee
- 12:00 PM - Match Play Final off #1 tee
- 18 holes stroke play at 6 qualifying sites.
- During qualifying, each player must use a golf cart.
- Players are responsible for cart fees for all practices rounds.
Number 36 seed, Trevor Hulbert, overcame the strong competitor Joe Alfieri, 3 & 2 to reach the Final match. Nicholas Gabrelcik, of Trinity, continued on his winning streak, defeating Morgan 3 & 2, and would face Hulbert in the final. Hulbert and Gabrelcik played steady golf in the first nine holes of the final match. Both players made the turn all square after Hulbert, of Orlando, was one down over the first three holes. On the 15th hole, Gabrelcik moved to one-up in the match with a par and finally sealed his victory with a birdie on the par five 18th hole. Gabrelcik, who is nearly 16 years old, is the youngest Amateur Match Play Champion in the history of the event. Click here for the 2018 results.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds of the Championship. Players are responsible for practice round cart fees.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on the weekend. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call 561-694-9267 to arrange your practice round. The club is closed on Monday and Tuesday, July 30-31. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Players in the following categories will be eligible for exemption provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements:
NOTE: Blank entries will be filed by the FSGA for players who become exempt after the close of entries.
- Last three year's Amateur Match Play Champions
- Last year's Amateur Match Play Semifinalists
- Last year's Amateur Player of the Year
- Last three year's Amateur Champions
- Current year's top five and tied Amateur Championship finishers
- Current and last two year's Mid-Amateur Champions
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship Semifinalists
- Last year's Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Champion
- Last year's Junior Amateur Player of the Year
- Last year's Junior Amateur Match Play Champion (16-18 Age Division)
- Last year's Mid-Senior Champion
- Current year's Amateur Public Links Champion
- Last year's Florida Open Low Amateur
- Current and last year's Boys' Junior Champions (16-18 Age Division)
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next three Amateur Match Play Championships
- Next year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Next year's Florida Open
- Next year's Amateur Match Play Championship
- Next year's Amateur Championship
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Palm Beach Gardens Marriott
4000 RCA Blvd.
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
$114 per room, per night. Call and ask for "FSGA Room Block" or click here to book online. Must book by 7/16/2019 to receive room rate.
Old Marsh accepts cash, Visa, MasterCard, and Amex as forms of payment.
Old Marsh Golf Club
7500 Old Marsh Road
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418