May 1-2, 2021
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Mike Finster and Devin Hernandez captured the Two-Man Shoot-Out on Sunday in wire-to-wire fashion at Verandah Club Golf Resort, posting a 25-under 191 for the championship. This is the third FSGA victory for Finster and the second for Hernandez.
The championship began on Saturday with teams competing in modified alternate shot. It was tight at the top of the leaderboard with nine teams sitting within three shots of the leaders. Ty Capps and Kevin Lewis took the first-round lead with a 6-under 66.
Hernandez and Finster sat one shot back of the leaders at 5-under 67 in a tie for second place with Joe and Cade Alifieri. Dennis Riedel and Kevin Johnson posted a first-round 68 to take fourth place, while six teams sat in a tie for fifth at 3-under 69.
The teams competed in the scramble portion on Saturday afternoon. Finster and Hernandez shot a second-round 58, the low round of the afternoon, to take the 36-hole lead at 19-under 125. The pair finished the afternoon with a bogey-free round, carding seven-straight birdies on the front nine and adding an eagle on the 15th.
Marc France and Carl Santos-Ocampo posted a 13-under 59 in the second round, while Thomas Parker and Matt Broome finished at 12-under 60. The teams of Santos-Ocampo/France and Airik Medinis/Blake Biggs finished the day in a tie for second place at 14-under 130.
The championship finished with a four-ball round on Sunday. Finster and Hernandez got off to a slow start with a double bogey on the third, but quickly rebounded with an eagle on the par-5 ninth. They captured the three-shot victory with a final-round 6-under 66.
Santos-Ocampo and France made a charge at the title. They started the day with a bogey-free front nine, carding four birdies. They fired an 8-under 64 to take second place at 22-under 194 to finish three shots back of the champions. Medinis and Biggstook home a third-place finish at 21-under 195, while two teams finished tied for fourth at 20-under 196: Dennis Riedel Jr / Kevin Johnson and Joe Alfieri II / Cade Alfieri.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Two-Man Shootout||6830 yds., 72.3/132|
The Two-Man Shoot-Out is one of the FSGA's most casual and enjoyable Championships! It is also a unique Championship combining modified alternate shot, two-man scramble and four-ball formats. Each round is considered a separate competition with prizes being awarded for each, as well as an overall winner for the Championship.
Format: 54 holes of two-man stroke play
Eligibility: FSGA member at least 21 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN, 10.0 or less
Entry Fees: $380 per team ($190 per player)
- 54 holes of stroke play
- Maximum field size - 52 teams (104 players)
- Two-man team, gross stroke play (no handicaps)
- Each round is a different form of play
- Round 1 - Whispering Oak - Modified Alternate Shot
- Round 2 - Old Orange - Scramble
- Round 3 - Old Orange - Four-Ball
- Male amateur golfers age 21 or older as of the first day of the Championship
- Both entrants are required to be an adult member of the FSGA
- Active Florida GHIN, with index of 10.0 or lower
- $380 per team ($190 per player)
Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Saturday, May 1st
- Morning Round - 8:00 AM shotgun on the Whispering Oak - Modified Alternate Shot (18 holes) where each player hits a tee shot, then the team selects a ball to be played into the hole and alternates playing that ball into the hole
- Plated or Boxed Lunch - Included between rounds
- Afternoon Round - 1:30 PM shotgun on the Old Orange - Two-Man Scramble
Sunday, May 2nd
- Final Round - 8:00 AM shotgun on the Old Orange - Four-Ball (Two-Man Best-Ball)
- Playoff - For overall team Champion only. The format for the playoff is a three hole aggregate with each form of play used for one hole. If necessary play will continue on a hole by hole basis rotating the form of play. It is the team's responsibility to be present for any playoff.
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,700-6,900 yards.
Rounds & Prizes
Each round of the Shoot-Out is treated as a separate competition and gift certificates are awarded for each round. There is an overall prize for the team Champion, but the emphasis and the majority of gift certificates are paid out on the basis of each individual round.
After 36 holes, the number of flights will be based on the number of teams and the range of scores.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship on a space available basis. The price for a practice round is
$35 plus tax.
Please call 239-694-4229 to schedule your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
Joshua Schlau and Justin Schlau captured the 2020 Two-Man Shoot-Out at ChampionsGate Golf Resort - International Course. They posted scores of 67-64-67--198 to win by one stroke. Click here for previous year's results.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Current year's Four-Ball Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are not permitted in thru 5/1 of 2021. This will be updated based on COVID-19 at that time.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in 4000 RCA Boulevard Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
There is no host hotel.
Visa, Master Card, and American Express are accepted in the golf shop.
12201 River Valley Way
Fort Myers, FL 33905
Click here for directions.